Grado PS1000 In The House
Jun 23, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #31 of 51
I wouldn't hesitate to send your headphones straight back. Even back when I owned the SR-80's, I sent them away and two weeks later, they were back on my doorstep, in brand new condition.

Jun 23, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #32 of 51
I always prefer a "fun" sounding headphone to an alanytical one. If the PS1000 falls somewhere between the PS-1 and GS-1000 that seems like a pretty nice balance to me. I'd love to try the HD800 but I don't have my Lisa III with the bass knob anymore
wink.gif

If you have any portable amps I'd be interested to hear if the PS1000 falls apart or still sounds decent.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #33 of 51
The condition/quality issue is going to be worked out and taken care of. So over that hump. As for as portable amps, I have the P-51 and the Minibox-E+. I will try them in the next couple of days and let you know how they do.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #35 of 51
Kclone,if the only problem is that they have some chips & scratces on the metal,but everything else is ok,i think it's better not to send them back.
I say that for two reasons:

1)I've read some threads and from what i can understand,grado is a small family company and their headphones are handmade so some scratces like the one you mention don't indicate a problem but it's a sign of the workmanship.

2)i've also read on some other threads for some more serious quality issues(gs 1000),for example one driver is not working after a period of time or other more serious problems,so don't risk it.
So if i was you,i would keep them.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they told me to keep this pair until they can send a new one out. I'm okay with that.

That't great customer care. I am also waiting for my PS-1000, but I am sure it will take another year for it to be delivered, since Switzerland is not high on the priority list of Grado it seems. So my GS-1000i has to do till then.
The Sennheiser 800 would have been an option as well, but after listening to it I will gladly wait for the PS-1000.
That doesn't mean that the Sennheiser 800 are bad cans, they are just not my cup of tea.

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #39 of 51
Are you going to hang onto the R10s? I find the GS-1000s more exciting, but the R10s have that lush sound and treble, midrange that is unmatched. How does the PS-1000 compare to to that aspect. I never felt the R10 had exceptional bass compared to other phones.

Ask them if they will let you keep the dented metal cups when they replace them... I'll buy them from you and slap them on my GS-1000s just for fun
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #40 of 51
Finally some PS1000 excitement again. Thought we'd see a bunch of threads after the CanJam but all we got was mostly HD800 threads.

Seems most are happy with the HD800 but I still can't get a feel of how it handles rock from the reviews. Get the feeling it might be missing something. Just too neutral.

The PS1000, based on this review really is sounding more like the PS-1. I felt they sounded great without any burn-in. They had way more refinement than the GS1000 or RS-1 and made everything sound great. I didn't really find that a bad thing. I did miss a little of the timbre the RS-1 had and thought the bass was just a little too much on some recordings. I also had to find the right tubes to tame the bass in the first place. I eventually sold them and got the L3000 and DHA3000 and have been happy since. Solved the bass and timbre issue while still keeping all the good things about the PS-1.

I'm just curious if the PS1000 is an improvement over the PS-1 or just an improvement over the GS1000, which I ended up not liking. The wooden cups may solve the timbre issue but I'm not sure the bass issue was solved. Some say it was still too much. Looks like it did solve all the problems with the GS1000.

Hopefully I get to hear these soon along with the HD800. The HD800 should be at my next meet, if I can make it. The PS1000 should be at my local audio store very soon. I don't plan on selling the L3000 and unless things change financially, I don't think I'll be picking up another expensive headphone as a second pair. But it is nice just to know what's out there and how it sounds compared to your own headphones.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #41 of 51
robm321, I sold my R10s a couple of weeks ago. I had serious regret from selling them, but at the same time, I liked to going rate for the R10s so I went ahead and sold them. You are so right about the mids and treble on the R10s, almost unbeatable for a dynamic headphone. With that said, the PS 1000 is no slouch in those areas, but on top of that you get more warmth, focus/coherent, more bass and better bass detail. The PS 1000 have bette balance.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #43 of 51
For various unofficial reasons (overwhelming demand, & incorrectly sized parts that needed to be redone according to posts of others on this site) Grado is having a difficult time accurately estimating when the PS1000 will be generally available. There are of course some that have received theirs.

...Going from memory....on 3-1-09 they would be available in 3-4 weeks.....on 5-1-09 they would be available very soon. I ordered and paid for mine on 5-14-09, have not received them yet, and have no idea when I will receive them.

This reminds me of other specialty items I've ordered...custom built amps etc.... very painful continually passing expected arrival times, sometimes by months, but the pain fades to a distant memory if the product lives up to or surpasses expectations.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm an optimist and until proven otherwise the glass is half full!
beerchug.gif

****UPDATE: The PS1000's arrived 7-16-09, so.......in Grado speak very soon = 8 weeks****

By the way...after listening for a few minutes, the pain has definitely faded!

Serial No 201 !!

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For various unofficial reasons (overwhelming demand, & incorrectly sized parts that needed to be redone according to posts of others on this site) Grado is having a difficult time accurately estimating when the PS1000 will be generally available. There are of course some that have received theirs.

...Going from memory....on 3-1-09 they would be available in 3-4 weeks.....on 5-1-09 they would be available very soon. I ordered and paid for mine on 5-14-09, have not received them yet, and have no idea when I will receive them.

This reminds me of other specialty items I've ordered...custom built amps etc.... very painful continually passing expected arrival times, sometimes by months, but the pain fades to a distant memory if the product lives up to or surpasses expectations.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm an optimist and until proven otherwise the glass is half full!
beerchug.gif

I can't stop believing Grado rushed the PS1000 "release" (if u can name it release) just as a measure against the HD800. They were far from being ready to release it, most likely they wouldn't have released it that soon without an HD800 coming, and the thing is becoming even more ridicolous than the HD800's release story. I wonder if more than 20 are going to get theirs before the end of the year...(being sarcastic here ofc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back