Grado PS 500 vs HD650 w Low End Source?
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ElectroJunkie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Haven't posted for many years but I am getting back into headphones and was looking for your opinions:

Situation

I have a gift certificate for a local toronto store for $500.  I can either buy the Sen HD650 or PS500.  

Source

My source is going to be an Ipod Classic and or a Mac Bookpro into a RS Hornet amp using Cryo LOD cable.

My thoughts

I have listend to the HD 650's on a big rig (RS Raptor with a high end CD player) before at a Headfi meet and loved them.  However, I don't think I have the setup to truely drive these cans.  I really don't have the cash to invest any money in a source or better amp nor do I really want to.  I was thinking of buying a chepo dac to feed my RS Hornet and into the HD650 but again don't really want to spend the cash or think that is the best approach.

From what I have read about the PS 500's they can be powered very easily and have an overall warmer tone them lower end Grado's  How would they sound with the Ipod as a source with the RS Hornet?  

I really love the idea of just being able to plug them into an Ipod if need be too.

Your thoughts?

Appreciate your insight and thoughts.

Cyrus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back