Grado PS-1000 and symphonic music
Sep 19, 2009 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Fafner

500+ Head-Fier
I recently came across a swiss shop which does carry this Grado at a decent price (other said: more or less at the american price and not at the usual x2 european price)...

I read most impressions posted in this forum but I couldn't find much specific to my needs. Basically, I listen almost 100% to classical, symphonic music, mostly requiring quite big forces (read Bruckner, Mahler, ...). Now, my balanced HD800 does this absolutely perfectly, I own a GS1000 but I can't stand its harshness and its bightness with this repertoire (maybe it doesn't couple well with the B52, maybe it's just me, don't know), but I'm wondering how the PS-1000 could do this and if it would be fine with me...? Keep in mind I'm attending orchestral performances regularly (was recently in Lucerne for the summer festival...another stunning season) and I like my setup to approach what I can hear there, that means, I don't want to stand at the conductor's place with instruments of the orchestra placed 1in away from my hears, but in the public. The HD800 does that in a stunning way, what about the Grado? Would it suit this? Any words from PS-1000 owners would be welcome...

Sep 19, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently came across a swiss shop which does carry this Grado at a decent price (other said: more or less at the american price and not at the usual x2 european price)...

I read most impressions posted in this forum but I couldn't find much specific to my needs. Basically, I listen almost 100% to classical, symphonic music, mostly requiring quite big forces (read Bruckner, Mahler, ...). Now, my balanced HD800 does this absolutely perfectly, I own a GS1000 but I can't stand its harshness and its bightness with this repertoire (maybe it doesn't couple well with the B52, maybe it's just me, don't know), but I'm wondering how the PS-1000 could do this and if it would be fine with me...? Keep in mind I'm attending orchestral performances regularly (was recently in Lucerne for the summer festival...another stunning season) and I like my setup to approach what I can hear there, that means, I don't want to stand at the conductor's place with instruments of the orchestra placed 1in away from my hears, but in the public. The HD800 does that in a stunning way, what about the Grado? Would it suit this? Any words from PS-1000 owners would be welcome...

I can’t tell you until my PS-1000 come back, but meanwhile I suggest you to try Metronome T3A/C3A Signature CD player. If you like symphonic music so much, it could be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back