Grado PS-1 almost sold out in Germany
Jul 24, 2006 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

MTL

100+ Head-Fier
Well - I tried to resist quite a long time now, but alas I cannot any longer. So I emailed the German distributor (the one who ordered the PS-1 from Grado Labs) and asked if there were still any available. It seems that he's down to six now and that the total number of PS-1s having been produced is even under 200...!
So, my Swiss dealer will get one of the last few for me for the hefty price of CHF 2,300 - which equals US$ 1,846.
rolleyes.gif

Yes - that's a lot of money for a headphone... - but as I probably never will get the chance to own a HP-1, the PS-1 seems the closest choice at the moment.
More on this, when one of the last PS-1 finally hits Switzerland
biggrin.gif
(is there such a thing as a PS-1 smile??!)

Jul 24, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 23
CONGRATULATIONS for your buy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL
as I probably never will get the chance to own a HP-1, the PS-1 seems the closest choice at the moment.

As far as I understood, it's different and, according to many, better than the HP1000 series.

Jul 24, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 23
Good catch - with the current prices of the HP1000's seeming to hover around the $1300 price point, the price of $1400 for PS-1's seems pretty reasonablt to me considering the performance is comparable. The PS-1 is one of the most liquid sounding headphones I have heard, smooth, with great soundstage and headstage and awesome bass, but I only listen with bowls because flats will kill everything that I like about them, bowls they are tuned perfectly. However, the HP's still take the cake for me. The HP1000's are even more smoother and liquid, and the bass is tighter and goes deeper. you'll hear it especially in the upper midrange and treble extension that the PS-1 isnt as transparent up there as the HP1000's.

But I do feel the PS-1 can compete, that is for sure, and if there was more available for purchase, I might bite on it

Jul 24, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 23
Flats are the only way to listen to a PS-1
basshead.gif
, now just get yourself a Singlepower Slam of some kind and you'll be in audio heaven!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyloh73
MTL:

Are you sure?I did the same a while ago and I was told they were completely sold out.

Absolutely - I just received the confirmation for payment from my Swiss dealer and I do trust him that when he says he can send me one within one week time he is right about it.

By the way what's funny: he says that almost everyone who got the PS1 from him already does own a RS1 (including me in a way, though my favourite - and up to now most costly - headphone for daily listening is an Alessandro MS-Pro).

Jul 24, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 23
PS1 with flats? Sounds scary.
basshead.gif

PS1 with bowls is probably the best Grado I've heard. I've heard all current Grados excluding SR60 and SR125. I haven't heard the old models.

So congratulations for your purchase.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu
PS1 with flats? Sounds scary.
basshead.gif

PS1 with bowls is probably the best Grado I've heard. I've heard all current Grados excluding SR60 and SR125. I haven't heard the old models.

So congratulations for your purchase.

I've tried them with both and much prefer the flats. The thing I like most about the PS-1 is the speaker-like vocal presentation. They are pushed forward for that on stage sound vs. front row or third row etc. That intimacy is lost with the bowls IMO... having the right amp is key, I don't know that I would have fell in love with the PS-1 had I not heard them on my Slam.

btw - I'm not alone, TTVJ also says flats are the only way to hear the PS-1's
cool.gif

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 23
Smushed bowls will give you that more upfront presentation without the overwhelming bass.

As for hp1000 having a liquid sound, I'm sorry but they are the driest sounding headphone I have listened to.

Biggie.

Jul 24, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn
CONGRATULATIONS for your buy!

As far as I understood, it's different and, [size=medium]according to many, better than the HP1000 series[/size].

eek.gif
BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!
eek.gif

evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: On a different note, there is now LESS original PS-1's than originally made due to the fact that some people have had them modified. I myself own a PS-1 housing with HP-1000 drivers and I know that before I owned it, it was a stock Grado PS-1 # 63. This is a great thing for those who own the PS-1 as it makes it that much more of a rare headphone.

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 23
Is there any way I can contact the German distributor? I am from Canada; how do we go about getting the PS-1?

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL
Well - I tried to resist quite a long time now, but alas I cannot any longer. So I emailed the German distributor (the one who ordered the PS-1 from Grado Labs) and asked if there were still any available. It seems that he's down to six now and that the total number of PS-1s having been produced is even under 200...!
So, my Swiss dealer will get one of the last few for me for the hefty price of CHF 2,300 - which equals US$ 1,846.
rolleyes.gif

Yes - that's a lot of money for a headphone... - but as I probably never will get the chance to own a HP-1, the PS-1 seems the closest choice at the moment.
More on this, when one of the last PS-1 finally hits Switzerland
biggrin.gif
(is there such a thing as a PS-1 smile??!)

Jul 24, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
btw - I'm not alone, TTVJ also says flats are the only way to hear the PS-1's
cool.gif

Maybe because he wanted you to buy them from him?
wink.gif

I've heard RS-1 with flats and liked it better with bowls. Flats just take all the soundstage and leave you with nothing but bass. That's how I felt with them.

PPX3 SLAM + PS1 with flats. Man what a combo.
basshead.gif
Is there anything else than bass there? I've not heard PPX3 SLAM but based on what I've read there should be some serious bass action there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back