Grado Prices
Feb 28, 2002 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Gerard

New Head-Fier
What is the cheapest place to by Grado headphones, that offer worldwide shipping?

just curious because i'm looking to spent roughly no more than $150-$170 ($170 would be the MOST i would be willing to spend)
on a good pair of headphones, i have heard alot of good stuff by Grado, but hear in Oz, i haven't found any place that auditions them. Oh great headphone Gods out there, show me the best headphones for the money, and possibly some cheap Grado headphone places on the net!

cheers
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 16
Hi Gerard! Welcome...
smily_headphones1.gif

I love Grados but they seem to cost a lot outside the U.S. I don't know if the extra cost is strictly justified. However in Oz, you chaps can get the Philips 890 for roughly $60-65 U.S. which is a third less than they go for in the states. Some of your countrymen on Head-Fi are big fans of the 890s (track down Buddha) and they have a pretty decent rep in terms of bang for buck. I haven't heard em but most listeners like them. Some don't, but general consensus is positive especially at less than $70.

good luck with your shopping!
smily_headphones1.gif
And Team Philips, you guys are slowing down a lot; all the peace and love must be cutting down your readiness!!
biggrin.gif
You guys owe me!!

Feb 28, 2002 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 16
I agree, check out the hp890's. There will be a detailed review shortly if you are in no hurry to buy.

Peace, Love, Happiness, Neutrality..........

(until the review comes out, and then back to everybody telling everybody else they need psychiatric help)

Feb 28, 2002 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by delenda est Sony
And Team Philips, you guys are slowing down a lot; all the peace and love must be cutting down your readiness!!
biggrin.gif
You guys owe me!!

Thankyou deS, and hello Gerard.

We really are behind the eight ball here in Perth as postage and handling expenses are crippling in most instances,.... doubling the price of a good entry level set of cans.

The HP890 are indeed a comparitively good option for us... but if you are quoting $US as your price range you could also opt for a nice set of Beyers... Snufkin can point you in the right direction.

However if your committed to the "Grado Sound" you probably will have to import them... try forum sponsor Headroom but be prepared for the $40US postage.

Oh, and theres always that other controversial can...the AKG 501
for around 300 Oz rupees.

smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 16
...ordered discount American stuff for friends abroad before. All I do is buy them cheap (say, $550 US for a new pair of RS-1s or $55 for a new pair of SR-60s), declare their values low (like $15...so the person doesn't have to pay massive duties or import charges) and ship them to Oz, England, Scotland or where ever. Works just fine every time.

I'd be willing to help (within manageable reason...I can't handle 1500 favors!) get some stuff shipped to you all. I will even accept your currency, as my bank converts foreign currency > US currency in my account for free.

You would have to send the $ in a greeting card for safety. Also, the sending of cash is entirely your risk. In my experience, 10 times out of 10, it goes through just fine, but there is no absolute guarantee. Again, though, every time I've done it (many times) it has been just fine.

Post if you want prices and help. Obviously I am not out to make a profit or take a commission, I'm just out to help some fellow head-fi'ers.

I've got a clean record (both here and on eBay...check m2matt), in case you're worried about sending cash.

Shipping is usually only like $20 US. Not too bad. The $20 is for Global Express mail, which gets there in (usually) about 4 days. That's pretty good. It certainly beats $40.

If you want help, ask.

Best,
Matt

Feb 28, 2002 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 16
...that's true.

Well, I can get Grado stuff from a guy generally at 20% off, so if you're interested, my offer stands. Really probably in the grand scheme of things, you should support Headroom, especially if the deal is only going to save you a few bucks. If, on the other hand, you want some RS-1s for like $150 off, maybe go discount. That's what I did, at least.

- Matt

Feb 28, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #9 of 16
I wouldn't have bought my SR60 for cdn$160. Emailed HeadRoom before, but they charge $35 for S&H. Having auditioned the SR60 and being an impatient person, I emptied my wallet to get the SR60.

But, hey, I'm happy with my phones now, that's all it counts.

If I ever going buy again, I'll PM you if you don't mind!!

Feb 28, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 16
...yeah, I really don't mind doing it. I feel that if some of us in certain parts of the world get porked for foreign products, we ought to help one another out. Plus, it's no sweat off my back...total investment in time is maybe fifteen minutes (taking the box to the post office, readdressing it, sending it back out) and the financial investment would amount to maybe 50¢ in gas.

So, I don't mind helping anyone in any country, especially when it would be a big ($) help.

- Matt

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Matt, I've gotta applaud you for your efforts.
smily_headphones1.gif
May the gods drop many a women on your house.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 16
...make that two women
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
[BYou would have to send the $ in a greeting card for safety. Also, the sending of cash is entirely your risk. [/B]

Thankyou Matt for your most generous offer. Might I suggest that an Amex travellers cheque placed inside a greeting card would provide at least some insurance against loss or theft in transit.

Perhaps we Sandgropers should consider a combined purchase...

smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2002 at 9:34 AM Post #14 of 16
I got a pair of 325 Grados for $270... including tax here in Nashville. Hi-Fi Buys. www.hifibuysnashville.com Ask for Sean Turner 615.405.4457 He'll set you up right. The only other Grado place in town wanted 299.95 No thanks Nicholson's!

Mar 17, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #15 of 16
Just so that you don't forget me matt
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm saving up for either a pair of RS-2 or RS-1, so I hope that the really kind offer still stands? I reckon that i have the cash in about a months time.
By the way, are the rs-1's a lot more smooth to listen to, compared to the rs-2s? (I listened to the 325's vs the rs2's, and the rs model was a lot smoother in the topend. but thats imho.) I liked the bass on the rs2's however... Can't wait to get my hands on one of these two pairs... BTW, i digged the smooth sound, so that no one got the wrong idea.

I also got to listen to the HD 600 with a xcan amp, and the combo didnt fill my needs, to dull (i'm gonna get shot by saying so, NO OFFENSE TO THE SENN GUYS INTENDED!!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back