Grado : price and quality
Aug 2, 2003 at 6:54 PM Post #16 of 22
I would just caution you about any comment that "X" headphone is THE one to get for a certain kind of music. Comments always range from love to hate regardless of price, listening prefs, reviews, etc. (witness Ety 4p, and my decision to sell soon after purchase).

If you can't try them, make sure they come with money back guarantee. (The RS1 is available from Headroom undiscounted, but they do have the MBG.)

I think trying them out in your home, unhurried, is the way to go anyway. What doesn't bother you at first can really annoy you later!

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

I listen only to classical music and Opera.
I've the MDR-CD-3000 (with a Headphone amp Talisman T3H and a CD player 3DLab Sonata). I'm really satisfied of this headphone but I'm looking for a second headphone with an open air design.

You should really look at the Beyer DT880's, they're more upfront than the HD-600's (closer to the CD3k's that you already own).

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:47 PM Post #18 of 22
Just to pitch a probably unpopular opinion, I found the RS-1 inferior (relatively, in the company of CD3000/W2002/W1000) for what you might call general classical.

My main amp is specifically tuned to the W2002 which does not like warm sources, which I think did the RS-1 a favour in classical testing as they would have blown everything out of all proportion.

I've been in a fair number of concerts and the RS-1 is not what I'd deem a reasonably accurate reproduction from an audience point of view. The CD3000 got pretty close to ideal but the bass was out of whack. Everything else involves similar compromises. The W2002 offers a slightly further out experience to the RS-1 (W2002=front row, not second row in second violin for the RS-1...)) but to me gives a much more balanced performance.

CD3000 = good seats in the stalls where those concert hall resonances hit you. But as I said, there are compromises.

HD600 = equally stall-like experience but I think slightly less involving than the CD3000.

Since the W2002's are quite difficult to get hold of now (and coincidentally, I'm listening to Arcadi Volodos playing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No.3 on SACD as I type. A goosebumping performance with excellent recording, the additional resolution of SACD and an excellent performer... I could probably tell you where the guys who coughed are sitting!) , I would suggest that you save your money and go for a CD3000 if you plan to listen to more operatic works or the W1000 if you're a chamber / ensemble fanatic. In fact, you can buy both for what you'd pay for a new RS-1. For pop and rock, the RS-1 is EXTREMELY entertaining. For classical and 'true audiophile' use, it's my feeling that it lags badly.

Edit: I'm still listening to the Volodos album. Holy ****, the W2002's are good.

Aug 2, 2003 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 22
Hello !

Today, I've listen to Beyer DT880 and 990 that I've compared with the HD600. Unfortunately it wasn't on my system but in a Store and with music that I'm not used to listen to (Buenavista Social Club).

I've found the HD600 very clear, precise and neutral (Bass, medium and highs well balanced), realistic tones.

I've found both Beyer very dark-coloured tones with bass too much in front, painfull. I imagine these HP for Techno music not for classical.

If it's true that a new Sennheiser (HD650 ?) will be sold soon, I would wait for and compare it with Grado RS-1. I hope I could test on the same system as mine (Talisman + 3DLab CDplayer).

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

I've found the HD600 very clear, precise and neutral (Bass, medium and highs well balanced), realistic tones.

I've found both Beyer very dark-coloured tones with bass too much in front, painfull. I imagine these HP for Techno music not for classical.

That's interesting, most people usually the say the exact opposite about the two headphones (HD600's and DT880's).

Edit: What were the components of the system that you auditioned them on?

Aug 2, 2003 at 11:01 PM Post #21 of 22
I'd still give my HD-600 the edge over my RS-1 for classical. That having been said, I think the RS-1 does classical better than any other current Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back