Grado : price and quality
Jul 30, 2003 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

MarcoC

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'd want to know the price of the Grado's RS1 in the stores at the USA.
In France it costs ~1700$, the HD600 ~265$ and the MDR-CD-3000 ~575$.
As the price of the RS1 is the highest on the marketplace for Electrodynamic HeadPhones, does it sound the best ?

confused.gif

Thanks

Jul 30, 2003 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MarcoC
does it sound the best ?

Thanks

That would depend on who you ask, what you listen to and your ears. Some find them the end all phones they've always been looking for, others complain about the comfort and coloration.

When you get to that point and price range, there is no best phone, only the one that sounds best to you. I guess that's all that matters.

Jul 30, 2003 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 22
The HD600's are like listening to a great performance from the 4th row. The Grado RS-1’s are like being on the stage with the band where all the excitement is. The HD600’s are kinda High Brow and dignified where the RS-1’s are like a Punk Rock Girl- just a lot of fun.

New the RS-1’s go for about $695 and can be had for about $625 sometimes and used for about $500 give or take a few bucks. The HD600’s are about $279 and can be had for just under $250 sometimes. And can be had for about $200 used.

Mitch

Jul 30, 2003 at 10:01 PM Post #5 of 22
HI: Do you have a highend source and highend amp? I had the RS1 and on my source the SR-225 sound about the same at 166.00. The SR-225 in my opinion are the best bang fore the buck and sound fantastic.

Jul 30, 2003 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 22
Thanks for yours answers.

I listen only to classical music and Opera.
I've the MDR-CD-3000 (with a Headphone amp Talisman T3H and a CD player 3DLab Sonata). I'm really satisfied of this headphone but I'm looking for a second headphone with an open air design.

I've heard both Stax 3030 with the transitors amp and the 4040 with the tubes amp. But I prefer the electrodynamic technology. I found the electrostatic technology sounds too cold with a lack of sensuality. To my opinion, when the orchestra is at the climax, the sound is substanceless. I found the high sparkling but the bass are desembodied.

Jul 30, 2003 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 22
Only classical? Out of that bunch I'd go with the hd 600, the soundstage and neutrality of it and it's sibling the 580 go with classical like bread & butter, as long as there's enough power to drive them. Then you get into what amp works "best" with them, then there's aftermarket cables.....

OTOH, some prefer the cd3k or the rs-1's. It's neverending.
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 22
Marco,

I recently received an RS-1, and about half my listening is classical. First impressions: the rave reviews are correct. They do seem to take you onto the stage or into the orchestra pit. You start to notice details you'd missed in all your previous listenings.

Finally, I have to wonder why some people complain about comfort. The pads rest lightly but firmly against my ears -- about as much discomfort as my hat.

I bought them from Decibel Audio in Chicago, which has online ordering. $625 and exceptional customer service. The phones were back ordered, and Decibel was fanatical about keeping me updated on the expected shipping date.

My only concern is the temptation to use them for long periods. I've had some tinnitus for several years, so I keep the volume moderate and use the RS-1 as an occasional treat...like the audio equivalent of a very rich, decadent chocolate!

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:31 AM Post #9 of 22
The RS-1's were mindblowing for classical. I was talking to a head-fier recently, I think it was Ebonyks, and he commented on the fact that although he enjoys going to classical concerts he doesn't own one classical CD. I thought about this, and realized it was quite the same for me. I think the reason is that my system really isn't up to reproducing what a real orchestra sounds like, and when I'm sitting at home I don't really ever feel like putting on a classical CD. I don't even own that many though I like classical music a lot.

With the RS-1's, all I was listening to was classical. You have to know me to know that I never do that. To use my dad's words when I let him try the RS-1's on, "it's like a mini-orchestra in your head." I was right there with the performance. For the first time classical sounded right with my system, so I was listening to it. I'll note that this didn't happen when I owned the HD580, rather that sat in a drawer for a couple months before I sold it. Okay, maybe that sounds a bit harsh, but it's the truth.

Back on track, I wonder why people complain about comfort as well powerdog. I've never had a problem with Grado comfort, and thought the RS-1's were very light and comfy.

Anyway, I can't wait to one day own RS-1's and I wholeheartedly recommend them.

Aug 2, 2003 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 22
To me, the Ety 4p was the most uncomfortable listening experience. The "good seal" felt like a powerful suction on my inner ears, not to mention the discomfort of having to remain motionless to avoid the microphonics.

In contrast, I can't imagine what I'd do to increase the Grado's comfort. Fleece? A cold drink dispenser? Back-scratcher attachment?

Aug 2, 2003 at 9:44 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by powerdog
In contrast, I can't imagine what I'd do to increase the Grado's comfort. Fleece? A cold drink dispenser? Back-scratcher attachment?

ROFL!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 11:00 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MarcoC

I listen only to classical music and Opera.

Bonjour, Marco,

Sennheiser HD 600 is definitely what you're looking for.

Check Meier Audio if you want to buy them
wink.gif

Best regards,

greenhorn

Aug 2, 2003 at 12:16 PM Post #15 of 22
Rizumu,

I found your comment about your classical listening habits very interesting. I had exactly the same experience. I couldn't stand listening to classical until I got a decent system. Before that I, like yourself, didn't own one classical CD, now it's most of what I listen to!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back