Grado - Prestige -> Reference
Sep 27, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Simply not true. The SR-325i's are a slight departure from the warm Grado house sound, while RS-2's and 1's are a refinement of it. I can't argue against the effects of the Law of Diminishing Returns, but I can point out that SR-325i's are too different to remain a standard. Many find them shrill; others find them perfect.

It's the same basic story with GS-1000's. Yeah, they cost more than RS-1's, but many actually find them less enjoyable than sub $500 phones like RS-2's or even SR-225's.

Regards,
Nick

What you neglect to say is this is not true for you. There are too many variables in any headphone system to ascribe 'warmth", "shrill" and "perfection" as absolute attributes of the phones themselves. In my systems the SR325i is none of the above.

Sep 27, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 21
I really like Grado 325i's. I'm listening to my ipod clone with them now. They are amped by a Decware Zen Head. Nice synergy. Sparkling highs, tight bass, lovely midrange, as good as a soundstage that one can get with Grados--I'm in the band man! I could have gone up the Grado food chain, but can't justify the lolly (when I also wanted to buy the Decware Zen Head).

When I get a chance to listen to an RS-2 and/or RS-1, I might begin saving my pennies for a new set of cans; however, right now I'm groovin' with my 325i's to The Band's The Last Waltz. It don't get much better than this. Hmmm..maybe I could use a cuppa tea. Yah...that'd make it better.

Buy what you like, but I think that the 325i's are terrific (and they sound pretty darn good unamped btw).

Cheers!

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:04 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What you neglect to say is this is not true for you. There are too many variables in any headphone system to ascribe 'warmth", "shrill" and "perfection" as absolute attributes of the phones themselves. In my systems the SR325i is none of the above.

True. My point was only that SR-325i's are generally a love-it-or-hate-it kind of deal, as opposed to other models in the Grado lineup. That's why most consider SR-225's to be the value king: their sound signature is most closely related to that of the Reference Series, which most (not all) find desirable.

Sep 27, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RS2 + source upgrade after selling off your other gear. My suggestion is to get a Pico (I love its profile and sound). And as for headphones, if you like the Grado sound (which I did at one point), stick with it. It might be too difficult for you to try other brands (like AT). Keep things simple.

I'm actually using an rs-2 and pico and it's an amazing combination

The rs-1 is probably technically better but I find the rs-2 some much more musical (think sr-60 over sr-80/125) and with the pico it's a drop dead simply system. Actually I kind of view the rs-2 as a better sr-60 - kind of siblings in a way

(I also found that after liking the grado sound the only thing that can come close to filling that niche is the akg sextett)

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #20 of 21
Well I went with the 325i's... it's a more comfortable with the price point and really don't want to lug around an amp... so here's hoping.

And I don't have any gear to sell to fund the RS2's :p unless you count a 5 year old pair of sr60s with a broken cord. Sadly I'm waiting for shipping as they're out of stock where I ordered... gonna check that chicago link out and see if I can't get there... $20 more expensive before tax, but I get it now!

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #21 of 21
FYI-Grado will give you a rebate if you turn in your old Grados towards an upgrade....I have a pair of 125's that I am upgrading to 225's. I also own a pair of GS1000's which yes! (nobody kill me..) all Grados sound great....yes the law of diminishing returns appies here all Grados share 95% of the quality and refinement across the line. The other 5% ohhhh boy!!...it is worth the extra cash... but if you can't afford it into your existing budget..do not feel bad..someday you can upgrade with a Grado trade in or go to bed a night knowing that just by having a pair of Grado cans..being any model of Grados....you have bragging rights to own one of the best headphones in the business. ......in case you were wondering..I am not getting paid..and yes, I do have my gripes with Grados...nothing is perfect .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back