grado phone owners
Nov 14, 2002 at 1:25 AM Post #16 of 26
I personally feel the old flats tame the bright sound of the bowls. I am VERY interested in these Senn pads. If they can compare to the flats...then I will buy them by the dozen.

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:46 AM Post #17 of 26
well... i can definately agree that the Flat pads help warm up the sound and does remove some harshness from the 325 series, however I don't own a pair of 325's anymore and I have rs-2's.

unfortuantely the rs-2's are already very very smoooth, and impactful, and warm, unfortunately I think the flat pads tend to make them too warm...

the flat pads/comphy pads also do remove some soundstage (airyness) I find.

The rs-2's and rs-1's, should use the bowl pads, and the 325's if you don't like the siblince and details, I suggest the flat pads.

Nov 14, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #18 of 26
I second r3cc0s.

I have the RS-1 and the RS-2 and have tried cut pads on them (bowl pads turned into flats) and they sound maybe 40% of their might.

I think it's all in the sources. If the source is shrill and dull, maybe the flats will make it a little better but with good sources, these cans rock with the bowl pads.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #19 of 26
I have the MS1 sometimes I think they are too bright with the bowl, but not always (and never too bright with comfies). Why would the flats tame the highs? Doesn't the flats expose the drivers even more and keeping the same distance from your ear to the driver (compared to the bowls).

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #20 of 26
yeah, it does not make sense on paper but the bowls create a 'space' where the sound resonates or what and lets detail be heard.
it's not intuitional but hey, there it is.

Nov 14, 2002 at 1:07 PM Post #23 of 26
The debate on how or why each pad changes the sound is secondary to the fact, the type of pad does change the sound with grados. I started investigating this issue because I was dissatisfied with the sound of my225s after I had to replace my original pads. The new pad (bowl pad) were a drastic change to me, for the worse.
Acclimation didnt help, breakin didnt help and ultimately getting rs-2s for their warmer sound didnt help; and I had no clue what was wrong. I saw some referances to this problem and tried an old pair of flats; AND WHAM THERE WAS THE GRADO SOUND I LIKE.
Reading a magazine one day I came upon this recommendatoin and tried the h-19545 pads. These pads have alot of the flat pads sound and as a plus their more comfortable,atleast to me. Some will be perfectly happy with bowl pads vs flats when they have to change. Some have never heard flats and wont know the difference. But for those like me, get a pair of h-19545 pads and listen to them,they only cost$4.50. In fact, when some of you get the upgrade itch give them a try.
These pads reduce brightness,increase dynamics and give an overall warmer and smoother sound:my opinion. This is just one option;there are pad mods,other pads etc..,and I have tried most. But,dont worry about why or how, just get a pair and listen.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:24 PM Post #25 of 26
Sennheiser in Montreal have the h-19545 pads in stock for $9.60. Shipping within Canada is an extra $7.50.

Their number is (514) 426-3013

I go to Montreal fairly often so I'm going to pick up a pair next time I visit.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 26
comphy pads--- used for sr-60, you can cut the center open and put it on reverse style,

it puts your ears closest to the drivers, thus providing alot more impact via midbass, and midrange, also warms up the sound consideribly.

flat pads, a old standard pad, which placed the ear a little bit further than the comphy, gives a bit more dynamics than comphy, but still retains the warm sound with alot of impact

very good option for aka harsher cans such as grado sr-325

Bowl pads, the new standard, uncomfortable compared to flat or comphy, puts the ear much further away, creating more detail, less warm sound. It takes away from the thumping midrange, and I think give much more soundstage.
however these are I think good for cans like the RS series, where the sound is already warm and a little less detailed than the 325-225.

it's all preference
I mean the pads make a huge difference on the sound of grado's

I think the 325's with flats are great
i think the rs-2's with bowls are great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back