Grado pads
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

axe

New Head-Fier
So having broken in my HD555´s, which are sounding great, I'm now moving onto the brighter 225i´s. I've been using the bowls but recently purchased the comfies and the flats. IMO the bowls have the best sound, with the obvious larger stage but man, they're itchy and slightly uncomfortable for prolonged use. The flats are also on the itchy side as they are made of simillar or same type of foam and so far the sound isn't as convincing. Using the comfies have made a world of difference in terms of comfort, sound is still bright and punchy but the loss of soundstage is evident.

Thus, my conclusion for now is...... why don't they make the bowls in a softer foam like the comfies?!

Is it worth investing in the larger bowl pads?

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 17
I haven´t. Just wetting them or using some kind of soap?

They are comfy but after many hours they hurt the back of my head, next to the ear and they are slightly itchy..... especially compared to the comfies.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by axe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are comfy but after many hours they hurt the back of my head, next to the ear and they are slightly itchy..... especially compared to the comfies.

After "many hours" any pair of cans will become fatiguing.

Oct 31, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #7 of 17
I washed my comfies with lukewarm water and shampoo. It made a slight difference, mainly in itchiness.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 17
Reverse HD414 pads, ftw. Sound as good as bowls, but much less painful. Just as comfy as comfy pads (OK, maybe a little more prone to itchiness), but much better sounding. (I've not tried washing my bowls or cutting a hole in my comfies.)

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 17
I hate the bowls; they feel like a rash on the side of my head. I've seen a mod somewhere that involved wrapping tube socks over the bowls...

Nov 1, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Yeah I've put on Grados that have had their pads washed before, and actually, it softens the foam quite a lot, although it loses some of its springiness. Try putting them in a small bowl with some laundry detergent and washing them in some warm water. It might do the trick. They're very durable when new, so don't worry about squishing them.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LurkerJeff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After "many hours" any pair of cans will become fatiguing.

What?! No way.
tongue.gif

I went from HD 595's that I could literally have on for 10+ hours with no problem at all to 225i's that hurt after 20 min. and I can't stand for more than a few hours (and I find myself adjusting them all the time).

The 225i's kill the 595's in SQ, but I'm going to have to do something about the comfort level.

Nov 7, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What?! No way.
tongue.gif

The 225i's kill the 595's in SQ, but I'm going to have to do something about the comfort level.

Interesting...
I own a pair of 225i's and I am a bit curious of the 595, as I have never listened to a good Sennheiser. Is the soundstage much larger, or only a little?

I want to try something new, but I will always love my 225i's
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #13 of 17
can try the washing method as suggested or change the headphone band. Well it might cost a bit but the Jmoney headphone band improved the comfort level Tremendously esp for lighter GRado phones like the prestige series and Woodies. its improved the comfort level of my MS2i so much by alleviating most of the weight and pressure off the head.

JMoney Audio

Comfy pad improves the bass and comfort level but it degrades the sounstage and details. have used both but decided the SQ is more impt and i continue to use the bowl pads. Over a period of time, the pads actually gotten softer and its very comfortable now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #14 of 17
So far the comfies are the way to go for extended sessions but I still prefer the sound of the bowls which have been getting softer with use. The flats are stored away.

I love my 225i's either way!
dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back