Grado pads n' me
Jun 25, 2002 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

OneMalt

500+ Head-Fier
I've always preferred the sound of Grado comfy pads on my 325s to the bowel pads and during the course of conversation with Tyll a couple weeks back as I worked the Tour stop in Buffalo, I mentioned this. Tyll asked me if I had ever tried the "tape mod" to bowel pads (which I haven't) and began to speculate how the bowel pads would sound with the outside edges only partially covered. He thought rubber cement might do the trick.

Well I happened to have a couple of pairs of bowel pads lying around and decided to give it a shot. I paired the 325s with a Grado RA-1 and was playing Stevie Ray Vaughan's Greatest Hits on a Sony CA80ES. The comfy pads I'm presently using are modded with the centers cut out.

On one pair of bowels, I applied rubber cement to 4 spots on each outside rim so that equal parts were covered and uncovered. First I tried the unmodded bowels. Horrible! They were harsh, too bright and sibilant. I do not like these at all.

After switching to the modded bowels, I thought there was considerable improvement. The sibilance was all but gone and the harshness tamed quite a bit but still the sound seemed somewhat sterile.

Putting on the modded comfys was like coming home...night and day! The warmth was back and the sound was full, rich and satisfying. Hands down, this is the pad for me.

FWIW and YMMV.

Jun 25, 2002 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by recephasan

what was that mod again?

Which one? To the bowels or the comfys?

Jun 25, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm not sure if I have cat genes but I moult like crazy (but I seem not to be 'follically challenged', go figure) - this means that hairs get trapped in the 'comfy pads' and it itches like buggery.

I have to spend so much time picking hairs out of the pads that I've made the switch to the bowl pads. The sound doesn't bother me I have to say and I like the fact that I can tweak the bowls a bit so that my ears sit in them, as opposed to on them - which would be uncomfortable.

Jun 25, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
bowel pads.... ever tried the "tape mod" to bowel pads....bowel pads with the outside edges only partially covered. He thought rubber cement might do the trick.

Well I happened to have a couple of pairs of bowels
On one pair of bowels, I applied rubber cement to 4 spots on each outside....First I tried the unmodded bowels. Horrible! I do not like these at all....After switching to the modded bowels, I thought there was considerable improvement...was like coming home...night and day! The warmth was

Is this a tweak for headphones or constipation?

Jun 25, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Is this a tweak for headphones or constipation?

Does this mean my entire posting was full of ****? Crap!

Jun 26, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt

Does this mean my entire posting was full of ****? Crap!

ROFLMAO, Beagle.

Personally I prefer the "BOWL" pads. I know the flat pads give a better bass response but it destroys tonal balance unfortunately. The soundstage and finer detail is lost.

Jun 26, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 12
OneMalt - thanks for the post, and no need for further explanation. I guess I got it.

BTW - I cut the bowl pads on my RS-2 so they look like the flats and am very happy with the way they sound now. The harshness is gone with plenty of detail left. I did not touch the ones on my RS-1, though.

As I type this, my feet are telling me to get up and try the mod.

Jun 26, 2002 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Are the foam pads that are pretty comfy (to me) AND bowl-shaped called the "comfy pads" or the "bowel pads"?

Jun 27, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #11 of 12
yep, that's them. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 27, 2002 at 4:36 AM Post #12 of 12
I had a pair of comfy pads from my SR60s. I bought a fresh set when I sold them.
I put them on my SR325s. Didn't like em at all. Maybe if I cut a larger hole in em....
Took a while to like the bowl pads, but I like the definition they have. The comfy pads muffle the sound to me.
I liked the comfy pads with my SR60s and SR80s though. They seemed to bring out a little more low end bass.
The SR325s don't need it. I am dreading the day I have $400 bucks saved up and a set of RS-1 comes up for sale.
md

Users who are viewing this thread

Back