Grado owners?
May 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

TheMaestro335

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all,
What do you gain when you purchase a pair of SR 225s or 325s over a set of SR 60s. Is there a major difference in SQ? I just purchased a Little Dot Mk III amp, and have been using my old SR 60s. Wow I never new how good these things sounded until about 10 Hrs of breakin time with my amp.

May 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 15
A bit more of the forward mids, better low-end, and smoother high frequeny response, all in all also making for imrpoved isntrument separation. Depends on what music you listen to, it might not be easily noticeable.

May 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
A bit more of the forward mids, better low-end, and smoother high frequeny response, all in all also making for imrpoved isntrument separation. Depends on what music you listen to, it might not be easily noticeable.

Thanks,
I think that I noticed a little bit of instrument clutter with the 60s. So basically the higher up in # gives you better detail and depth?

May 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 15
The SR60 shares a driver with the iGrado.

Every other Grado up to RS1 has the same driver (AFAIK) with higher quality driver coatings and higher quality other components as you go up the line.

Better separation is definiely one result of going up the chain, as is better, more controlled bass and more detailed highs.

Huge differences?

Well all Grado phones are the same set of phones I think, just watered down as you go higher up the chain.

IMO the big changes happen at SR125 and RS2. RS1 is a dream to listen to at a nightmarish price!

So you could say there are three categories - under hundreds, over hundreds and woodies.

I think the best value for money upgrade from SR60s is the Alessandro MS1, which is better than the Sr125 and costs less than it too! It can also be transformed into an MS1000 which is supurb!

May 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 15
I went from SR60's to MS2i's.

My first impression was that the SR60's sounded better with my music (320k rock/metal mp3s of out a uDAC).  After listening to the MS2i's much more, I will say that the bass is punchier and the overall sound is more refined (smoother, less harsh).  I have noticed a little less clutter as mentioned.

As a newbie myself, I will stress that it is not a huge difference.  It took me lots of A/B time, and listening to different music to begin to notice the differences.  I think after using the SR60's for months my brain had started filling in the "blanks".  I am still torn as to whether or not I will try some 325's in the future.  I'm busy trying different brands right now though.

May 12, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #6 of 15
Going from sr60 to sr225 is a very good step up within the Grado line. In that you will likely notice the improvement in sound quality but the sound signature is still the same (not rs1 to gs10000).
sr225 sounds more detailed and refined compared to sr60/80.
I don't own the new sr325 so can't say anything about them but I would think from sr60/80 to sr225/325 to rs1 is the logical upgrade path in the Grado family.

May 12, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 15
I have to say, IMHO, the SR-225(i) is the best value of all the Grados. I
have had many of them and Grados scale well as you move up the line.
The extension, refinement, detail and separation all improve. To me,
the move
from the SR-80 (a better 'phone than the 60) to the SR-225 was a
significant improvement. One that would be even more apparent with
your amp. I noticed it on the humble Total Airhead I had at the time. If
you find a 225(i) on the Head-Fi Sales Forum, it's even that much better
of a deal. One that's worth the money. I believe the 225 can be the
cornerstone of anyone's rig and could be happy with it for years to come.

That's my take anyway. :)

May 12, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 15
I have owned a pair of SR125s for as couple of years now and have quite enjoyed them.  I was in an audio store not too long ago and had the opportunity to try the line from the SR60s to the RS2s.

I definitely that the sound quality improved as I moved up the line and I would also that (for me at least) the improvements in sound justified the difference in cost.

I ultimately bought RS1s and I live them.  If you like the Grado sound I would recommend buying as much as you can afford.

In the past I have had a tendency to settle for less an have not been truly happy wishing I had spent a bit more and got what I really wanted.  I don't do that anymore.

Darcy

May 12, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 15
Ultimately, you gain things that it takes time to develop an appreciation for. The new 325is is an absolute detail monster but requires real burn-in time, for both optimal audio and for comfort. 

I think primarily you gain access to texture and clarity, though the overall smoothness that comes with it is well worth the trip. I actually don't find the current 225i to be a very good headphone; it seems to reach for the wonderful aspects of the 325is that I love, but fall short in a sort of muddy brightness that never works with my music.

May 12, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
I have to say, IMHO, the SR-225(i) is the best value of all the Grados. I
have had many of them and Grados scale well as you move up the line.
The extension, refinement, detail and separation all improve. To me,
the move
from the SR-80 (a better 'phone than the 60) to the SR-225 was a
significant improvement. One that would be even more apparent with
your amp. I noticed it on the humble Total Airhead I had at the time. If
you find a 225(i) on the Head-Fi Sales Forum, it's even that much better
of a deal. One that's worth the money. I believe the 225 can be the
cornerstone of anyone's rig and could be happy with it for years to come.

That's my take anyway. :)

I second this! Bang on correct.

May 12, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
The SR60 shares a driver with the iGrado.

Every other Grado up to RS1 has the same driver (AFAIK) with higher quality driver coatings and higher quality other components as you go up the line.

Better separation is definiely one result of going up the chain, as is better, more controlled bass and more detailed highs.

Huge differences?

Well all Grado phones are the same set of phones I think, just watered down as you go higher up the chain.

IMO the big changes happen at SR125 and RS2. RS1 is a dream to listen to at a nightmarish price!

So you could say there are three categories - under hundreds, over hundreds and woodies.

I think the best value for money upgrade from SR60s is the Alessandro MS1, which is better than the Sr125 and costs less than it too! It can also be transformed into an MS1000 which is supurb!

How do you transform it into an MS1000?!

May 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #12 of 15
Forgot to mention, all gear upstream from the cans can affect the overall sound, as well as the quality of the source material and the type of music. If it's all pop music on at most 320kbps from a DAP, I doubt there would be much difference. Plug them into a Marantz CDPlayer's headphone out, then that CDP with a separate headphone amp, and then try Audiophile CD's for vocals then for more rounded recordings, some ProgRock/Symphonic+Heavy+Death Metal that were recorded well, and classical, and you'll start hearing the difference.

May 13, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 15
Mindy,
You get some distancers from nickchen or apatn, get some jumbo pads, put them all together and hey presto.

I took the easier route of buying a whole ms1000 set off another headfier in the classified section.

May 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Well it makes them circum aural, so gives a major increase in comfort, increases the soundstage dramatically and make the bass very luxurious sounding too. The bass/mids/treble balance can be user tuned with kitchen felts (J-cloth to you and I) and foam too.

There's a whole thread of people's experiences, search for MS1000 and have a look. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back