Grado Owners, would you be so kind
Sep 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #16 of 38
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't find the mannequin head creepy.

My two cents is that all Grados look really stupid and if you want to look normal just don't leave the house wearing them. Period.

Personally I think something like the shure se530 is perfect for out and about. Great isolation and sound, and very low profile.

EDIT actually I do find the cord coiled around the neck a little creepy. I wonder what Freud would say...
tongue.gif
(and yeah, I know it's probably just an easy way to show what the cable looks like for the sale)

Sep 20, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #18 of 38
Thanks for the reply's. I bought some 325's yesterday, I'm going to see how I feel when I get them, if all else fails I can fall back on my se530's which is not the end of the world. I'll post pics of me when I get them. Now to grow my hair. They were at the right money, but I'm still watching some rs1's and may but them also and resell the 325's. Ah the life of a bachelor is a good one for buying expensive toys.

Could anyone recommend a good portable amp for Grado's? I had a Voyager before and I liked it but I fancy a change.

Sep 22, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #19 of 38
I bought some rs1i's too, they were an absolute steal. I bought them brand new at less than half rrp (they retail at £695 in the UK and I got them for £285 posted) I couldn't turn them down at that price. Might be selling the 325's now, I'm not gonna get chance to A/B them because my dad has to send them to me in Seoul which costs a fortune.

I ended buying another voyager too, but I'm a bit worried it might have trouble driving the rs1's, what do you think?

Anyone want a pair of 325's, 5 months old and pristine I'm told?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #21 of 38
I would never recommend wearing Grados outside. No isolation whatsoever and everyone can hear what you are listening to. I'd considered these two factors waaaaay before worrying whether or not you look cool (or respectable, at least). Aside: The new "i" models are lousy for outdoor/active use. They are high-profile as previously mentioned and now have a thicker cord that is not ergonomic at all. Strictly for home use, I say. Stick with IEM's or a pair of PortaPros or PX100's.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #22 of 38
Chud, they are 325i's, silver and approx 5 months old in excellent condition.

Where are you from? The headphones are currently in the UK, I can post worldwide.

PM me

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xkRoWx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^
^
Why do you have a mannequin head?!

No you misunderstand, the real question should be why wouldn't you have a mannequin head?

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #25 of 38
John Mayer not withstanding, I have never thought of my Grado/Alessandro phones as portables to be worn outside my house. If I leave the house, I take my IEM, or other in-ear/earbuds. To me, Grados are not portable.

Sep 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #26 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would never recommend wearing Grados outside. No isolation whatsoever and everyone can hear what you are listening to. I'd considered these two factors waaaaay before worrying whether or not you look cool (or respectable, at least). Aside: The new "i" models are lousy for outdoor/active use. They are high-profile as previously mentioned and now have a thicker cord that is not ergonomic at all. Strictly for home use, I say. Stick with IEM's or a pair of PortaPros or PX100's.

I completely forgot that the 'i' models have that thicker cable now. In addition to what I said earlier in this thread, I'd have to agree that the thicker cables make them even more non-portable. I had trouble with the older cable and recabled those. I can't imagine how much trouble the newer cable would be if used outdoors on the go.

I agree that the newer 'i' models are even lousier for outdoor/active use. If you plan on using it outdoors somewhere quiet without many people around, then using a Grado may not be so bad.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #27 of 38
Well, they are on their way to Seoul now, I think I'll just wear them around my local area a few times, depends how brave I feel. I'm desperate for some decent sound quality, the se530's just don't cut it for me. I like them, but they fall seriously short when compared to decent open headphones. My dad, who I live with back in the UK, just bought some ATC SCM40's so I'm a little jealous. Hopefully the rs1's will grant me some solace. I only have a GS voyager though, I may have to look into a home amp.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #28 of 38
Congrats on the RS1's, they look so good when they are sitting on a stand but when you wear them and take a peek in the mirror it may look silly but they are great sounding cans. I have to agree with portable use that I would not recommend them because of external noises entering the open back design.

Sep 25, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #29 of 38
if you are after looks , 325s or any grados won't be it, you'll get weird looks from people around you when you wear it outdoor. get a skullcandy instead, ,,bit if your after very good quality sound , then yes get an HD650 or a 325is.

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #30 of 38
Don't wear them out. Yes, you'll look dumb. No. Really dumb. But more importantly they're a phone for listening to, not for background music. All the things they're capable of will be lost in traffic noise.

Plus they will get stolen or broken. Get canals for out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back