Grado Owners: Poor Engineering Student Looking for some descent headphones.
Dec 5, 2007 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

davidr2287

100+ Head-Fier
Im looking to buy my first quality headphones. My budget is $120. I currently own the super fi. 5 IEM, but would like an open/closed headphone that could give me similar or surpassing sound quality to those of the super fi.5's without the discomfort of the super fi's. Im currently looking at these headphones: Grado sr-60, Grado sr-80, and the alessandro ms-1. Which one would you recommend that provides the best SQ and comfort? Will I my ears benefit SQ wise by using any of those Grado headphones instead of my super fi.5's or any other IEM?

They arent library frienldy...ok im willing to sacrifice that in order to see what the buzz is about with the Grado line. So which one take top prize from those 3?
cool.gif

THANKS!

I've been doing more research: How are those AKG k240S? They seem to be more comfortable than the Grados and seem to leak less sound

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Depends on your use. Seeing that you're an engineering student I'm assuming that you're tech-savvy and can also build your own amplifier; you can do it all under $120 easy, and for general use the Grado sr-60 and alessandros are fine. However if you plan on using them in public spaces, a little bit of isolation's not a bad idea.

What sort of music do you enjoy listening to, and what sound preference? The three phones you've mentioned sound quite different.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #3 of 13
Also, you should try them on first if you can. Obviously to see if the sound suits you but to see if you can stand to wear them. It's no problem for some people but I can't wear my SR80 for longer than an hour.

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #5 of 13
can't you put the 414 pads on any of the others?

what is your musical taste?

as for an amp, what amp does everyone reccomend? i'm looking to build one.. right now i'm going to order an alien dac to build but there are so many amp options.. not sure what phones i will be using them on which is probably something necessary.

Dec 5, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 13
I tried looking for a store in my area but have yet to found one and although i am studying engineering, most of my classes are structural related(since i took the structural option of civil engr.) and none of those classes really help me in building an amp
biggrin.gif
. I like to listen to all types of music, from classic rock like the beatles, to classical like andrea bocelli, to spanish pop/rock. Some isolation would be great since i plan on using them at the library once in a while,so if any of those provide more isolation than the others please let me know. Iam leaning toward the Grado headphone that would provide the most detailed and "enjoyful" sound out of those three mentioned

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Can't go wrong with the MS1's. In the MS1 appreciation thread, I read they are pretty good for classical, and also they are more mellow than the Sr series apparently. However, I have only the MS1's and I would suggest trying a find a head-fi memeber near you with any of these cans.

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #12 of 13
You don't have to spend much to find a headphone that will surpass the SQ of even the more expensive IEMs...

The MS-1 will definitely sound better than any IEM
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4ki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on your use. Seeing that you're an engineering student I'm assuming that you're tech-savvy and can also build your own amplifier; you can do it all under $120 easy, and for general use the Grado sr-60 and alessandros are fine. However if you plan on using them in public spaces, a little bit of isolation's not a bad idea.

What sort of music do you enjoy listening to, and what sound preference? The three phones you've mentioned sound quite different.

not really, im a civil engineering student and i dont know how to even recable a headphone. if he's an electrical engineer then thats another story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back