Grado or Senn for my situation?
Apr 1, 2008 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shoejuice

New Head-Fier
I am currently stuck. I have about 90 dollars and I dont know if I should get the grado sr60 or the senn 280's. Up to now i had a pair of etymotic isolators but they broke and before i could go repair them they were stolen. I listen to a variety of things. Jazz, rock, Dj cam (dunno how to specify this), and sometimes ill listen to an oldies track. I currently use an iriver e10 which in my opinion has much better sound than an ipod. Dunno if this makes a difference though. I listen about anywhere. on the street, at home, at school etc. The thing I'm looking for most is just to have great sound quality. Im concerned with bass but not as much.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 17
If you listen to them all over the place, I wouldn't get the SR-60s just because they are open and will let in all kinds of noise, not to mention let out all kinds of noise. Not the best for on the street, etc.

Apr 1, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by seannyb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for outdoors/portable use, you're better off with another pair of IEMs, than the open Grado phones or the bulky (and not necessarily better-sounding) Senn 280s.

I'd say the senn's if you dont mind the bulk, or invest in another pair of IEM's and make sure to file for the warranty
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoejuice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if iems what choices do i have? Also just how "open" are grados? Are they like listening to those crappy ipod ear buds?

Grados are very open.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoejuice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if iems what choices do i have? Also just how "open" are grados? Are they like listening to those crappy ipod ear buds?

More so. When I pause my music it's like I have nothing on with my SR225s. They're great at home but a pretty poor choice anywhere public. I'd also recommend you look into some IEMs for what you describe- I like Ultimate Ears and FutureSonics myself.

Apr 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 17
I would replace the ER-6(i) with none other than the ER-6i. They're within your budget, too, and I seriously don't think you can beat them with any other headphone/earphone at the same price level.

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would replace the ER-6(i) with none other than the ER-6i. They're within your budget, too, and I seriously don't think you can beat them with any other headphone/earphone at the same price level.

agreed... listened to both grados mentioned, as well as others. when it comes to portable listening there is nothing i would rather listen to than my ety's (er4p)

however from a former ipod owner, i would say upgrade your source first. i know you may not like to hear that, but an ipod has a very weak output on the low end for battery conservation purposes, as well as just a poor power supply for the built in amp.

If your stuck on the ipod, with no amp.... then stick with the mass marketed ipod after market support for it. thats the only thing the ipod has going well for it. Personal preference is up to you from there.... good luck in your search. you will probably get a million different opinions, but the truth is everyone has a different taste.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #12 of 17
i would take a look at the Audio Technica ATH-ES7. They're smaller than the HD-280s, are closed, and sound way better than them. I'm a big fan of Grados, but I wouldn't wear them outdoors just because of the bulk and lack of isolation.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12v /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed... listened to both grados mentioned, as well as others. when it comes to portable listening there is nothing i would rather listen to than my ety's (er4p)

however from a former ipod owner, i would say upgrade your source first. i know you may not like to hear that, but an ipod has a very weak output on the low end for battery conservation purposes, as well as just a poor power supply for the built in amp.

If your stuck on the ipod, with no amp.... then stick with the mass marketed ipod after market support for it. thats the only thing the ipod has going well for it. Personal preference is up to you from there.... good luck in your search. you will probably get a million different opinions, but the truth is everyone has a different taste.

Pretty sure he said he didn't have an iPod.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 17
the 280 pro's are a good headphone, but the grado sr60's beat them out i think.

they also seem to be more popular here... and they are made for listening to music with, unlike the senns which are actually made for mixing/recording etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back