Grado or Grado-fit Pads That Don't Rot
Jan 21, 2024 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SkinnyOldGuy

New Head-Fier
My trusty daily-driver Sennheiser HD201 has pads that get used every day for years and years and years and they're fine. My Grados -- I have a bunch from SR60 to SR 325 -- seldom get used and not only do the pads rot but they poo sticky dust all over everything when they do.

If Sennheiser can make pads that last for years probably other people can too, and probably there's one that I can squeeze onto my Grados. Does anyone have experience with this? Would you care to share please? I don't care what they "sound like", all headphones are so wildly different from one another that whatever you have you have to get used to it.

Thank you kindly.

Jan 21, 2024 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 3
Does anyone have experience with this? Would you care to share please?
Foam comes in many specs including life span. For whatever reason, your Senn prob uses a foam with a longer shelf life. If that’s purely beneficial or a compromise on some other spec (ppi, air flow, etc) we do not know. See website Foam Factory which contains many specs for various forms of foam to get an idea of various specs.

Depends on the exact material and when it was made. Grado could have old stock of pads approaching expiration but are applied to new stock of Grado, we dont know the aspects between foam youre comparing.

Jan 21, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 3
I used Sennheiser HD414 pads on my Grado. They were better than the 60 grit pads from Grado, but still not enough for me to keep those headphones.

The 414 pads didn't degrade on me, but then I didn't see that from the Grado pads either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back