Grado... Not all I expected.
Aug 24, 2005 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

marx84

New Head-Fier
So I finally found a Grado dealer in Vancouver and went to check out the headphones. I was using my minidisc and D-777 Discman as the sources. My regular headphones are Sony Ex-70's canal phones for the last three years, and I have a set of Logitech Z-5300 THX speakers on my computer.

Trying out the SR-60's I found them to be severely lacking in the lower ranges and exceptionally sharp. The SR-80's were better in the bass, but not really any better to me and seemed to leave much to be desired, not to mention they let in so much sound that it was ridiculous to me. The SR-125's were the only pair that seemed to even be decent to me, but had difficulty driving them with my units. Just for kicks I tried out a pair of RS-1's going though one of their $3000 hifi systems. My ears probably just aren't calibrated for them, but I only found them a little better than the 125's. They were easier to listen to, without the ear piercing that the SR-60's gave me, and cymbals and trumpets sounded absolutely wonderful, and the kettle drums were also good, but there was none of the booming which I suppose I've become accustomed to.

The 125's were extremely unforgiving of the lower quality Atrac which the Mz-n707 records at, and there was an omipresent hiss at higher volumes. Putting my EX-70's back on it occured to me how muddy and booming the lows are on them, and how recessed the midrange is, while the highs are still a little sharp. If only I could get deeper more booming bass and isolation on the SR-125's I'd be happy... though I'd need an amp for them. I'm going to try and get a hold of a pair of MRD-D66SL 'eggos' and I hope that they'll be more of what I'm looking for.

Though, on another note, I also sat through a Bose home threatre presentation for their new system in a 'theatre room' they had in the back. It was frankly amazing to me. Diminutive little speakers sounding great, and bass which was able to resonate in my chest. I only wish I could get that kind of sound on a headphone. My computer speakers just sound so bad after that now.

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 31
I'm quite genuinly surprised that you found the SR125 to be the best sounding...

...To me, they are the brightest (in a scarey way!!) headphones i've ever heard!!

If you want mad amounts of bass on a shoestring budget, try an pair of Philips HP890s, or if you want higher quality sound, and are happy to have an amp as well, Beyer DT770-80s are the way to go
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by marx84
So I finally found a Grado dealer in Vancouver and went to check out the headphones. I was using my minidisc and D-777 Discman as the sources. My regular headphones are Sony Ex-70's canal phones for the last three years, and I have a set of Logitech Z-5300 THX speakers on my computer.

Trying out the SR-60's I found them to be severely lacking in the lower ranges and exceptionally sharp. The SR-80's were better in the bass, but not really any better to me and seemed to leave much to be desired, not to mention they let in so much sound that it was ridiculous to me. The SR-125's were the only pair that seemed to even be decent to me, but had difficulty driving them with my units. Just for kicks I tried out a pair of RS-1's going though one of their $3000 hifi systems. My ears probably just aren't calibrated for them, but I only found them a little better than the 125's. They were easier to listen to, without the ear piercing that the SR-60's gave me, and cymbals and trumpets sounded absolutely wonderful, and the kettle drums were also good, but there was none of the booming which I suppose I've become accustomed to.

The 125's were extremely unforgiving of the lower quality Atrac which the Mz-n707 records at, and there was an omipresent hiss at higher volumes. Putting my EX-70's back on it occured to me how muddy and booming the lows are on them, and how recessed the midrange is, while the highs are still a little sharp. If only I could get deeper more booming bass and isolation on the SR-125's I'd be happy... though I'd need an amp for them. I'm going to try and get a hold of a pair of MRD-D66SL 'eggos' and I hope that they'll be more of what I'm looking for.

Though, on another note, I also sat through a Bose home threatre presentation for their new system in a 'theatre room' they had in the back. It was frankly amazing to me. Dimmunitive little speakers sounding great, and bass which was able to resonate in my chest. I only wish I could get that kind of sound on a headphone. My computer speakers just sound so bad after that now.

blink.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 31
Kudos to you for getting out and listening first hand. Thats the ONLY way to form an oppinion. We all hear things differently so its no surprise to me that your preferences are what they are.

Now.. get out and demo some more.... Beyers, senns and AKGs. Have fun with it, and take everything on this forum with a grain of salt.

Yes there are people out there who like bose, and feel their gear is worth the price
eek.gif
eek.gif
Bose is probably the biggest audio company, or one of the biggest... when you factor in OEM sales. So youre certainly not alone.

Garrett

Aug 24, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 31
well, i would again say that you made a hasty decission with the Sr60. The best thing to do is to listen to other headphones at the price range so that you know exactly what you get when you buy them.

Aug 24, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I'm quite genuinly surprised that you found the SR125 to be the best sounding...

...To me, they are the brightest (in a scarey way!!) headphones i've ever heard!!

If you want mad amounts of bass on a shoestring budget, try an pair of Philips HP890s, or if you want higher quality sound, and are happy to have an amp as well, Beyer DT770-80s are the way to go
biggrin.gif

I dont know what to tell you there Duncan, the 125's were just the best of the three I could afford (the RS1's would pretty much leave me without textbooks or much food for the next semister). Yes, all the grados were really bright to me, but that one seemed easier to listen to. It's also quite possible that my MD and PCDP were just having a hard time driving the 125's properly, which made them sound different to me. I also tried a pair of sennheisers 500's I think, and they just sounded muffled compared to the grados. I think I'd have a more appreciatation for these headphones if I actually listened to more live music and was used to more realistic sound, rather than all the lower bass skewed sound I get from what I've been using for years. If that's the case I'll just have to keep looking until I can find something that matches my imaginary idea of 'good sound.' What can I say though, I barely know what I want, and I'll know it when I hear it. I only hope I can afford what I may find. But I'll see if I can try out those two cans you've suggested.

Aug 24, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerebral_Mamba
well, i would again say that you made a hasty decission with the Sr60. The best thing to do is to listen to other headphones at the price range so that you know exactly what you get when you buy them.

SR-60's run about $130 USD with tax at Hi-Fi Center in Vancouver... But I'm willing to wait and spend more if I find something that I can use for years to come.

Aug 24, 2005 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 31
HOLY SMOKES!
eek.gif
That's almost double the US retail price!?
confused.gif

You should consider taking a road trip to Seattle, or have someone in the US send you a pair, ANYTHING but pay so much! WOW!
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by marx84
SR-60's run about $130 USD with tax at Hi-Fi Center in Vancouver...

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #11 of 31
SR-60s are stupendously bright to these ears as well, so much so that they drown out the bass. This happens up to the SR125 and I think the 225 is the first place where you get a good showing from the whole frequency range
smily_headphones1.gif
Pads also make a huge difference, if you stuck flats on any of the cans you listened to you'd think you were using a different headphone.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #12 of 31
The only thing I would say is:

I still own my EX70's, and at the time when I bought them when they first came out years ago, I thought they were the greatest earbuds that I've ever heard. But now I know better. Simply put, they are crap.

As you put it, your ears aren't calibrated for the Grado's, they are still in the "EX70/Bose mode". As you listen more and more, you might outgrow them like I did.

I can't listen to any Bose home theater system without wincing with disgust at how bad they sound, and my EX70's are a catastrophy.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The only thing I would say is:

I still own my EX70's, and at the time when I bought them when they first came out years ago, I thought they were the greatest earbuds that I've ever heard. But now I know better. Simply put, they are crap.

As you put it, your ears aren't calibrated for the Grado's, they are still in the "EX70/Bose mode". As you listen more and more, you might outgrow them like I did.

I can't listen to any Bose home theater system without wincing with disgust at how bad they sound, and my EX70's are a catastrophy.

My experiences exactly - I just can't listen to my EX71s anymore without wanting to do severe damage to someone/something. The price of good sound is that bad sound seems so much worse now...

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 31
I had a similar experience with my eagerly-anticipated Grado audition. I liked 'em, but I expected to LOVE them. Similarly, saying that you expected Grado to 110% completely rock your world but it didn't is pretty blasphemous around here!
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
Although it is inevitable, I think walking into the shop with huge expectations from reading here puts baggage on the audition.

I later borrowed some MS-2/bowls for a few months, and I was pretty meh about them. I'd love to try something like SR225 or MS-2 with flats sometime.

Everyone likes a different sound, and it's fun to learn what your tastes are, and to see how they progress and change. Good for you for getting out there to try some different sounds out! Don't be discouraged -- there is a great can(s) out there for you and you have just narrowed it down!

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:57 PM Post #15 of 31
Do not get eggos, you will hate them. Try ksc-35's or porta pros. Nice mids and big bass and less bright than grados.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back