Grado Mods
Feb 24, 2019 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lightftl

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of SR225e's that i have thoroughly enjoyed over the past few years. Is seem to always return to Grado headphones. Ive been reading a bit about modifications for Grado headphones and would like to know if modded grado headphones are available online. If so, are there links to share? The other option I've been pondering is having the 225e's modded versus purchasing a pair of RS2e's. Thanks in advance.

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #2 of 4
1) check the classifieds often. Someone just had two sets of modded Grados up for sale recently.
2) post a WTB thread in the classifieds and see if anyone has some they are willing to sell
3) mod those 225 yourself! There are a lot of different sources of cups, headbands etc. and Grados are some of the most easily modded headphones (no special tools required, not so much as a screwdriver. No soldering required, unless you want to go with custom cables)You can save yourself some money and make them to your exact specifications ...the color and type of leather for the headband, the type of wood for the cups etc.
there are some key threads I would check out:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/post-your-grado-mods.119314/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-non-grado-driver-grado-thread.690682/
even if you decide to not mod them yourself, you could find someone in these threads to sell you a modded one, or mod a set for you.
Personally, I'd go with option 3...I got a set of SR80e and modded them myself, it was easy and fun, it cost me less than buying a set of 325e (less than a 125e, actually) and I think the results came out great
51868845_10215644673484090_4957116485559386112_o.jpg

May 24, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 4
Question: I have a pair of Grado SR80s and the cable has shorts in two places. So I'm thinking of trying this as a solution.
1. Buy an IEM cable like this:
TRN-6-core-High-Purity-Oxygen-free-copper-braide-3-5mm-Earphone-Cable-IEM-Upgrade-Detachable.jpg_640x640.jpg

cut off the two plugs at end of cable. Cut the Grado cable short, right near the cup. Solder the cables together.

Will this work? And will it be pretty easy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back