Grado (Liquid) Tape mod!
Feb 5, 2010 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

dclancy

500+ Head-Fier
Stop me if you heard this one...
Well, after purchasing my MS2i's, I've been wondering if I made the right decision sound sig wise. I went Allesandro for the "relaxed" sound, hoping to avoid the shrill tedious highs of the 325's, but found many recordings to wear down my eardrums after only a few songs. Admittedly, most headaches were due to simply getting used to the Grado fit. It's been a couple years since I owned my SR60's, and a couple more since they were my every day can.
So I tried the "tape mod" to improve bass, and found it helped a bit, but not entirely. Something I've always wanted to try while going through several iterations of home made pads for my K140's, is painting over foam to give the effect of tape, but have the pliability of rubber. Well after almost a week of frustation, I finally broke down and bought some Liquid Tape. I applied several coats to the sides and rear (maybe 4-5). NOTE: Use in well ventilated area, as it's like huffing a magic marker!!! Also, the first coat soaks right in, and dries quick. Try one or two coats at a time, to adjust to your liking. Work in chapters to achieve desired result. Lastly, this mod has only been tried with the reversed and quartered 414's.

IMPRESSIONS: WOW! BASSY. Coming off my love affair from my Beyers, I've been converted to the dark side, so this is really the fix I missed with my initial impressions. Very warm, tons of mid bass. Need to do more listening before committing to final judgements, but the difference is apparent
The downside though, I think I should have only down a couple coats instead of several, as I feel the mid bass is coloring the overall mids. Also, some of the Grado airiness is gone. But the sharp highs are very tame now.

I have another pair of stock 414's so I'll try a few things, and do some incremental modding Now that I know what to expect.

Attachment 25764

Attachment 25765

Attachment 25766

Anyone else try this? What was your experience?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back