Grado "like" Headphones for Outside?
Jan 28, 2012 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

locker314

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I am looking for a pair of headphones that have a similar sound like Grado headphones but are more portable and can be used well outside. I want the energy and "excitement" of Grado sound, or at least similar but in a package that is both more portable, durable and can be used outside in the city without having to crank the volume up to ear damaging levels. Any tips, comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Regarding budget, roughly $300-$500max is what I am willing to spend, and for those that want to know what I listen to, I enjoy classic rock. Mainly Queen, Radiohead, Pink Floyd and Aerosmith. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 12

You'll never be able to render guitar like a Grado with another maker but here's two cans that are in some
 ways a tad forward sounding and may suit your needs.

Sennheiser HD-25 II and Shure 440. Both are closed.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 12
^ Thanks guys for the suggestions but what I am looking for are a pair of headphones that are a little more "up-scale". The HD-25 are getting there but I do not like the plastic feel. The sound may be great but what I am looking for is a unique headphone. It doesn't really need to be "up front" or very "forward" like a grado, it just has be some what similar is quality of sound, quality of design and quality of materials. But thanks anyway for the suggestions. If it helps. I have $1000 set aside for a portable audio rig. Of those $1000, roughly $300-$500 for the headphones and another $500 for a portable DAC/AMP combo. That being said, any more recommendations for headphones that you guys think are grado "like".

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
^ Thanks guys for the suggestions but what I am looking for are a pair of headphones that are a little more "up-scale". The HD-25 are getting there but I do not like the plastic feel. The sound may be great but what I am looking for is a unique headphone. It doesn't really need to be "up front" or very "forward" like a grado, it just has be some what similar is quality of sound, quality of design and quality of materials. But thanks anyway for the suggestions. If it helps. I have $1000 set aside for a portable audio rig. Of those $1000, roughly $300-$500 for the headphones and another $500 for a portable DAC/AMP combo. That being said, any more recommendations for headphones that you guys think are grado "like".

Hope you find what you're after but I think it's going to be a tough slog ~ the verve and energy of the Grado sound
 is proprietary to Grado, if what you wanted actually existed with another maker then no one would put up with
 Johnny G's idiosyncrasies - we all do, because they're special and there's no second alternative ..

Not sure if you've ever heard a Grado yet or if you're just going on what you've read but if you have heard one
 and that's what you want with another manufacturer in a closed can then it doesn't really exist,.

Sorry man, not what you want to hear but at least you won't waste your cash eh.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 12
Wait for the HD 25 Amperior. Instead of plastic, the cups are made of machined aluminum (silver or blue). Supposedly they sound better than the classic HD 25s.

I don't know...I auditioned Grados for the first time yesterday, SR80i, SR125i, and RS2i, and to me, the build quality is really chintzy. I have HD25-1 ii and even though they are plastic, they feel better built to me. One of the SR125is at the shop had the cups falling off the headband.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 12
My AKG K81s sound like a better, but closed Grado SR-80i. Not quite as fast or energetic, but they have that exciting, upfront sound that makes them good for metal though they are a little slow for the fastest songs out there.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
 Hope you find what you're after but I think it's going to be a tough slog ~ the verve and energy of the Grado sound
 is proprietary to Grado, if what you wanted actually existed with another maker then no one would put up with
 Johnny G's idiosyncrasies - we all do, because they're special and there's no second alternative ..

Not sure if you've ever heard a Grado yet or if you're just going on what you've read but if you have heard one
 and that's what you want with another manufacturer in a closed can then it doesn't really exist,.

Thanks. I probably needed to read this. I have listened to grados before, and I probably won't find anything as good, as you said. I mainly listen to music in school, walking home, and in the bus. The reason why I started this thread is to see if anyone knows any alternative that is better for out-of-home use. If there is isn't I will just settle down and be a very happy shopper with a pair of Grado RS2i headphones.

- BTW your post on my other thread sold me. That picture of the Grado RS2i in public is awesome and very classy. 

Jan 28, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 12
If you haven't pulled the trigger yet you should consider getting a used pair of lower end SR Grado model like the 60i.  This way you can test them out at school, on bus etc.  If all is cool, you can resale or keep them as a backup.

I own a pair of SR60i and RS2i.   I feel the SR60i's performs very well for the price.  Also, check the for-sale forum, I purchased my RS2i's there for a nice discount.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:

+1; and said very well.

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 12
If you willing to go custom, look at the JH5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back