Grado Labs' response to pink noise burn in.
Jun 28, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #46 of 70
I would recommend a binaural CD or multiple binaural discs for burn in. Great classical and jazz works very well for me. Between Shpongle and Binaural Jazz/Classical, I have no trouble burning in equipment. The very best Classical Binaural CD I can suggest for headfiers is From Gershwin to Sousa, a Joseph Grado Recording using the sphere microphone.

As for extension cables and the question of quality, I don't care for them.

Speaking of binaural music..on my honeymoon in Hawai'i I picked up two Hawai'in music CD's that are binaural in nature.. (SWEET), I will have to review the each of them after listening critically to my main rig, but is exciting for me because I love nature sounds captured within field recordings and hawai'in music.

The slack key guitar is awesome.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:36 PM Post #47 of 70
Here is a quote from Meier-Audio in regards to headphone burn-in:
source:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

"A headphone straight out of the box often may sound light at the bass and slightly aggressive or diffuse. The electromechanical properties of the drivers haven't settled down yet. It is strongly recommended to run the headphones for 24 48 hours with some continuous bass-heavy music before you start listening.

First have the music run for a few hours at a low sound level. Next a few hours at medium level and after this the headphones can be run at a high level for the rest of the break-in.

Break-in improves the mechanical properties of the suspension of the drivers and also "tightens" the windings of the coil. With some headphones the difference is day and night."

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #48 of 70
Since science is only the sum of what we know today, and our ears are only as good as our genes will allow, perhaps in the not too distant future we may get better ways of measuring, and better ways of hearing, and everyone will be able to agree on everything.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since science is only the sum of what we know today, and our ears are only as good as our genes will allow, perhaps in the not too distant future we may get better ways of measuring, and better ways of hearing, and everyone will be able to agree on everything.
wink.gif

That's an interesting thought... Are you a communist?!?
blink.gif

J/k
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #50 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by grndslm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an interesting thought... Are you a communist?!?
blink.gif

J/k
biggrin.gif

No; worse.
frown.gif
I worked very hard to make the world safe for Runaway Capitalism, talk about your Evil Empire!(
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Do I ever feel dumb.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I worked very hard to make the world safe for Capitalism

As long as you top it by foiling a fascist plot...

Jun 29, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you top it by foiling a fascist plot...

I'm not sure that Wall St. isn't populated by Fascists in the broadest sense of the word.
frown.gif

....I know; I'm just being silly.
tongue.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #53 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is a quote from Meier-Audio in regards to headphone burn-in:
source:

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

"A headphone straight out of the box often may sound light at the bass and slightly aggressive or diffuse. The electromechanical properties of the drivers haven't settled down yet. It is strongly recommended to run the headphones for 24 48 hours with some continuous bass-heavy music before you start listening.

A friend of mine just brought a SR 225 and used a burn in CD for 48 hours. His initial impressions out of the box was that they were muddy, but after the burn in, they really opened up. I didn't get it hear them when he first received them, but I did hear they after the burn in and they sounded great. Now I wants me one
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #54 of 70
Burn in ... does anyone have any links to a side by side burned in v. totally new set of the same cans? Even better would be several sets of each, but I'm sure that's pushing it. Seems like an obvious test but I've yet to read of any such thing. I know it's probably prohibitively expensive for most individual users but someone's had to have done this.

Jun 29, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #56 of 70
I missed the most revealing part of this email without knowing it.

True, white and pink noise isn't recommended... But this is the third manufacturer (along with Ultrasone and AKG) whose support accepts the concept of break-in without a second thought. That doesn't necessarily prove anything, but....

Sep 25, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #59 of 70
I didnt even read much about Pink noise to avoid Placebo effect.

kept my HD555 on first nite with Pink noise looping on Foobar... the HD555 had a very weak bass..very slim sound which means there was not an apparent Bass response between 200-300 Hz.

Next morning i get up ..put up some trance tracks..and wow... the Bass is Tight, Clear & much much better.

Most likely Grado must be an exception because for me ..pink noise works better than anything else

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #60 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFaust /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally prefer to let headphone "burn-in" on my head. I like to hear them open up. I made the mistake of plugging in my RS-2's to my laptop and running a 5 week playlist through them without really listening to them along the way. I didn't make that mistake with my SR-225's. It was great getting to hear them grow-up and mature.

I'm one who would call it "break-in" rather than "burn-in." The phones are a system - headbands, pads, and drivers all need to get some exercise before they reach their full potential. For instance, the pads on my SR60s now have definite impressions in them that match my ears' contours. The headbands needed a tweak and some time to get to the right clamping force, and the drivers benefited from listening time in order to loosen up.

My SR60s out of the box: excellent. After a few weeks of listening: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back