Grado Labs 325 parts..... sorta rant
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ron45

New Head-Fier
I'm probably dreaming, but does anyone know the price of drivers or capsules for my SR 325s. Yes it occurred to me to call Grado but when they want 20 dollars each.....4 years ago,  for the ham radio operator style ear pads, I'm scared to ask what the driver or capsule might cost. I made my own ear pads and they were finally comfortable enough to forget about and enjoy the music. They did not seem to alter the sound,

Could I be the only guy to be blown away by the gall it takes to charge this much for a set of headphones that are as uncomfortable as these are?  Then just to make their point, they equip them with molded plastic cable ends. At least they sound good but so do 20 other open back headphones that have excellent fitting ear pads that actually reduce the ambient noise levels AND come with pro grade detachable cables. The way people hype these things, and knowing how it feels to wear them reminds me of the emperor's new clothes.

ps which is correct please, driver or capsule?

Thank you for your time.

Ron

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NA Blur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The driver is the physical speaker and the capsule as you call it probably is the earcup?

Some headphones have them called "capsules" because instead of just the plain raw driver by itself it comes with some kind of baffle to mount onto the headphone. In Grado's case if they ship it with the plastic earcup, even just the half, with the driver mounted on it, then technically it'll be a capsule.

Oct 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #4 of 4
People either love Grados or hate them, that fact is made pretty clear around here all the time.

If you love them, you're will to accept the faults that come from a mostly hand-made, cottage-industry throwback that still has a high reputation for quality sound.

If you hate them, nothing they do will seem like good quality at a good price.

Further, there are some people who simply can't stand the bare foam against their ears.  I don't understand it myself, but I have a friend who is absolutely incapable of putting Grado bowls on his ears.  So, I know there's something to that.

Anyway, I suggest you sell the Grado you have and buy the "20 other open back headphones that have excellent fitting ear pads that actually reduce the ambient noise levels AND come with pro grade detachable cables."  I think you would be happier. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back