Grado in Australia?
May 30, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 25
OMG. To be frank, at 259 oz dollars for the SR80 i could easily get a SR125 here for that price.....Seriously, is it really that expensive to get Headphones in Australia? It might not be true, but i've a feeling Cans and buds are much cheaper here in SE Asia...259 bucks...sheesh.

May 30, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #17 of 25
exactly what I meant. They just have to realise that Grado is suffering because of their pricing strategy.
i mean when i mention Grado, my friends kind of go Gra...who???
they haven't even heard of them. Seriously as long as this stupid policy of overpricing abroad runs i won't touch a grado phone. I amm happy with alessandro. sounds better than the RS-1 to me anyway.

As far as Stax goes one day when I don't know how to spend my money i will buy it until then I am set.

May 30, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #18 of 25
I thought i remembered seeing a list of countries with offficial retailers of grado products and australia being one of the few countries not on that list... I bought my sr60s from headphone.com for the US price. *shrug* i spose a retailer would know better than i tho.... I was under the impression that ppl who sell them in australia were just buying overseas and marking up accordingly.

incidently, i went into that shop on york st in sydney christmas time and delt with the old guy. He gave good advice as far as i could see... he was helpful and willing to spend some time satisfying my curiosity. went for B&Ws instead of the monitor audios in the end tho... maybe he was just in a xmasy mood?

May 30, 2004 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 25
Do NOT buy from the old guy there. He is the most arrogant, wooden and uncooperative **** there is. He looks at you like you are rubbish when all you want to do to try discussing the price.

You should definately go to Headphonic and het the MS series. Having said that I really like my SR80's for metal. Though some members hate them I lub them and they only way to get a real grado is if you got contacts overseas, going there or buying 2nd hand from here.

May 30, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #20 of 25
Well, York Street Hi Fi is everything you guys have said. I walked in to audition speakers and he immediately started rubbishing my current speakers... the ones I wanted to replace... said they were rubbish and that he just traded their top model for almost nothing. I offered to buy these traded "top models" and take them off his hands and he immediately shut up. Then showed me speakers (Monitor series speakers) which were quite frankly average in the worst sense. Strange approach.

Try the guys across the road at Basement Hi Fi and mention Head Fi. These guys, in particular Steve, will look after you with keen prices as well.

Then of course if you are like me and want the GRADO SLAM but don't want to pay A$1,400 for the RS-1s... try Snufkin for Music Series cans, great service, great advise... about the same price as getting it from the US but with an Aussie warranty. And some people consider the Alessandro cans superior in any case.

For sen's there is also Wicked Digital although Basement HiFi will give them a run for the money as well.

Good luck, and if you want to hear some MS-pros before you buy PM me and come over to my place (I warn you my kids will make a quite listening session a challenge).

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Jun 1, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyTripleA
Well, York Street Hi Fi is everything you guys have said. I walked in to audition speakers and he immediately started rubbishing my current speakers... the ones I wanted to replace... said they were rubbish and that he just traded their top model for almost nothing. I offered to buy these traded "top models" and take them off his hands and he immediately shut up. Then showed me speakers (Monitor series speakers) which were quite frankly average in the worst sense. Strange approach.

Try the guys across the road at Basement Hi Fi and mention Head Fi. These guys, in particular Steve, will look after you with keen prices as well.

Then of course if you are like me and want the GRADO SLAM but don't want to pay A$1,400 for the RS-1s... try Snufkin for Music Series cans, great service, great advise... about the same price as getting it from the US but with an Aussie warranty. And some people consider the Alessandro cans superior in any case.

For sen's there is also Wicked Digital although Basement HiFi will give them a run for the money as well.

Good luck, and if you want to hear some MS-pros before you buy PM me and come over to my place (I warn you my kids will make a quite listening session a challenge).

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Steve at basement hifi is cool. Can anyone verify that the yellow pads displayed at quality hifi are indeed the sennheiser 414 pads that can be put onto grados?

Wicked digital is impressive. Such a small shop yet such a GREAT range of products.

And yes, we really need to have a headfi meet in sydney.

spelling edit

Jun 2, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #22 of 25
senns are easier to get anyway from Ebay and allsorts.. for basically the same as the US price anyways.. so thats cool.. im so setting up a underground .ru site that sells Grados to Australia. 1337
600smile.gif

Jun 2, 2004 at 2:57 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mneuwiueyagaobcf
Can anyone verify that the yellow pads displayed at quality hifi are indeed the sennheiser 414 pads that can be put onto grados?

yes, i bought a pair of yellow pads from there.

Jun 2, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #24 of 25
Audiophiles in Australia are really unlucky. Everything imported is so expensive in Australia.

I bought a Tmaxx from US for 760Aus$ including postage/tax/battery.
But in Australia, only the R/C truck itself will cost nearly 1000 Aus$.

For hd600, Australian price is more than twice than that in other countries.

Jun 2, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by knight567
Audiophiles in Australia are really unlucky. Everything imported is so expensive in Australia.

This is mostly true, but I have seen some UK imports that compare well with Australian prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back