Grado iGi Earphone
Oct 29, 2013 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

soziblewuup

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, 

I just purchased a pair of Grado iGi's, and I have to say I'm more than underwhelmed.

For the price paid, £100, I was hoping for a solid earphone with a well rounded sound. Now I know in audio circles this is not a lot of money, but as i'm a student and have very little cash to spend on materialistic goods this took a little saving. 

I would say they have had about 7 hours wearing in time so far. The highs are quite harsh and far more prominent than the mid range, which is fairly bland, and the lows are near enough non existent. I find the sound to be unbalanced and a lack of warmth in the lower frequency range further accentuates the harshness at the top, leaving a rather tinny and cold sound. I then tried them with a FiiO amp and the sound was improved, but I somehow feel they should have been better without it. 

I picked up a pair of Goji Tinchy Stryder earphones about 8 months back for £29 with the expectation that they would most certainly be poor. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by these earphones. Although they would distort a little at high volumes, in the main I actually preferred the sound to the Grado's as it was more rounded; the lows, mids, highs complemented each other. 

Has anyone else tried these? Are my ears faulty? I'd be interested to hear another opinion. 
I think I have the option of returning within 90 days and plan to do so currently. 

I'd also be interested to find out if this is as good as it gets for £100? What Hifi rated them 5* and if this is truly a stand out headphone at this price range, i'll happily go back to the Goji's and put the earphone money to good use elsewhere. 

Cheer guys! 
Jack

Oct 29, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you for the response. 
Joker's review was an interesting read, and I'm glad both are reviews shared a similar experience. I'll have a look at the two you mentioned. 

Thanks again!

Oct 9, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I happen to love my little iGis. I did find it hard to find a good seal when I first purchased them. Had to try all the different tips provided and really settled on the least uncomfortable ones, the black double flanges. Eventually they became more and more flexible and soft with use, and after about three or four weeks of constant obscenely loud metal at work the sound smoothed out in the treble and bass. I wouldn't give these bad boys up at all now. I honestly feel that these little in ears are sorely overlooked. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back