Grado-i Headphones? Or something else?
Jan 10, 2008 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Derek1984

New Head-Fier
I was wondering how sound quality of the grado-i headphones are. I would just be using them for my ipod and my laptop. Does anyone else have any suggestions for use of their ipod or laptop? I am looking to spend no more than $200. I noticed that the grado-i headphones are pretty cheap and from a good company. I don't plan on buying an amp. They can be open or closed. Ear buds, cans, it doesn't matter to me. I just want the best bang for my buck for sound quality. Would I be better splurging and going after a pair like the sr 225's? Or would something like the grado-i's be good enough? I plan on having these for a long time. Right now I am using cheap JVC Gummy ear buds. I want something that I can definitely tell a difference in sound quality but without spending over $200 if that is possible. Thanks

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 14
It really depends on how portable you need the headphones to be. If you're going to be on the move, then the iGrados one of the best portables available. If you're just going going to sit while listening to your music, then the SR-225s are probably the top choice at $200.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It really depends on how portable you need the headphones to be. If you're going to be on the move, then the iGrados one of the best portables available. If you're just going going to sit while listening to your music, then the SR-225s are probably the top choice at $200.

I usually will just be sitting while I listen to music. I don't travel a whole lot. Would the sound quality of the SR-225 be a whole lot better than the Grado-i's or not by that much? There is a $150 difference between the two. I am willing to spend the extra $$$ if the sound quality is going to be a whole lot better than the Grado-i's. Would there be that big of a difference of sound quality between the two? Also, I will mostly be listening to R&B with these.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #4 of 14
In that budget I'd consider the Grado SR225, AT AD900 or the Senn HD25-1. The Senn's especially if you're going to be tossing them in a backpack or wearing at all while on the move.

Edit: Just noticed the R&B part. Then maybe something along the lines of the EA RP-21, AT A900 or still the HD25-1.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #5 of 14
Yes...the sound quality will be significant between the two. For R&B there may be better headphones out there. How do you like your music? Do you prefer a detailed airier sound or do you like your bass? Do you prefer a larger soundstage or do you like the feeling of being close to the musicians? The Grados excel at rock, but I still love listening to them with other genres. They're very intimate and punchy at the same time.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 14
The iGrado's are nice headphones and pretty durable, I am amazed i haven't destroyed the thin cable, so I would recommend them. Of all the higher end Grado's I have heard I never found any of them very pleasing while listening to R&B or hip hop. The iGrados did the most justice to the genre but better can be had especially if you are a bass head.

For about $100 Sennheiser HD 555's can be had and those are not excellent for any specific genre of music but are a great all around headphone. Beyerdynamic headphones are supposedly great for bass even though i have never heard them.

Ice Nine mentioned the Equation Audio RP-21 having heard those I too would also give them a vote plus they are closed back and will isolate tons of background noise.

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 14
I do like my bass. Basically, if this makes any sense, I want a pair of headphones that I can maybe hear some background instruments that I can not hear with the cheap headphones I am used to. Something with vocals that are clear and with attention to detail with instruments. I listen to mostly R&B, like Michael Jackson, and he uses a lot of instruments and background vocals with his music. So that's really what I would be looking for. I am open to anything, just as long as it's not over $200.

Jan 10, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 14
You might want to start off with a cheaper pair of headphones instead of SR225's.

Grab a lower end Grado or can from any brand and you will notice a big difference because your only reference so far are JVC gummies. And if you like what you hear, then you can upgrade as you budget allows. Like a glass of fine wine, one might not be able to fully appreciate it if they are used to drinking coke. It takes a bit of a gradual learning curve.... if you know what i mean

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 14
What about Alessandro MS1? ..think about it...for 99 dollars shipped is a good bargain..

Jan 11, 2008 at 12:47 PM Post #12 of 14
for 150 bucks the beyer dt770pro is great phone for r&b.
i compared some sr60's to the beyers, and the grados was no where near as involving when it came to electronica, italo and funk/disco

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #13 of 14
The RP-21 do have a lot of bass. They have more coloration then the Denon AH-D1000. they are more of a DJish headphone. Personally I would choose the Denon's. They were on sale at Amzon for $99.99, but they went up to $139.99:

Denon AH-D1000

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for 150 bucks the beyer dt770pro is great phone for r&b.
i compared some sr60's to the beyers, and the grados was no where near as involving when it came to electronica, italo and funk/disco

Where have you found these for $150?!?! That's a GREAT price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back