Grado HP1000 vs HD800
Jan 2, 2010 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

500+ Head-Fier
Hi

I've searched, but couldnt find a comparison of these two "neutral" headphones. Has anyone got both? I imagine the Grado bass is better, but generally speaking the Senns prob have the better midrange and highs? Maybe alittle recessed compaired to the Grado's, Am i close?

Thanks

Pete

Jan 2, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 19
They sound different. The HP1000 is not technically on par as the HD800, but may be easier to enjoy, and are not as picky about amplifiers or source as the HD800. Though like all cans, the right amplifier will make them sing better.

The HP1000 is a neutral but musical can, and that's about it. It's a great cans, but I don't think it's worth the $1500++ price tag, unless you're a collector.

The HD800 is a better can in technical aspects, but people has been frustrated about finding a good amplifier and (sometimes they forget this part) a good source to match the HD800 to.

Building a HD800 system is not easy, and so if you just want a musical, high end, system, the HP1000 is a better choice.

Bass wise, the HD800 extends lower, but upper bass punch is stronger on the HP1000.
Mids and treble are good on both cans, of course they all have their own presentation that's different from each other, so I can't really say "better mids" or "better highs".

I think music preference matters a big deal when choosing these headphones. Classical would be much better on the HD800. Rock, RnB, would be better on the HP1000.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #3 of 19
I've heard both and own the HP1000. I vastly prefer the HP1000 but I'm not going to say it's better than the HD800 because that's subjective. I've found both headphones to have detractions in the same area, bass and treble extension. The HD800 may have greater extension in both directions. I would rate the general sound signature of the HD800 as slightly treble-tilted and the HP1000 as mid-range focused. The HD800 may also be faster (at least when properly amped) and has significantly more clarity and separation. The HP1000, on the other hand, is not a clear/separated-sounding headphone.

The HP1000's mid-range is reportedly close to "neutral" which means that what you hear is tonally accurate with respect to the recording and reality. The HD800 may sound thinner in comparison.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classical would be much better on the HD800.

This is a statement that I would highly dissent with. Most people seem to want a specific portrayal of classical music when they listen on headphones, and these people invariably seek out headphones with artificially big soundstages - which is fine for the people that want to listen like that, but it does injustice to the headphones that actually provide accurate soundstages. Also, in classical music specifically, a realistic mid-range tonality is also key for appreciating the various instrumental sections - the strings, brass, woodwinds, percussion, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of people who like the HD800's portrayal of classical music but as a musician, I've found it to have an unrealistic mid-range tone whereas the HP1000 gets much closer to realism on strings, brass, & woodwinds. For this reason I'd call the HP1000 much more suited to classical music than the HD800, and it also helps that it doesn't have an artificially large soundstage either.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #4 of 19
Talk about Siskel and Ebert, but what a cool thing it is that we have people here who have both cans and can speak from experience.

Jan 2, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 19
what asr said matches my experience exactly. The HD800 wows you with technical prowess like big soundstage, instrument seperation, detail, speed. But the HP1000 has better tone- instruments sound very true to life. In the end, I'd take the accurate tone over the wow factor. But it depends on how you listen to music. I think for a lot of head-fiers, detail/perceived clarity and soundstage are the most important things, and in that case, the HD800 wins hands down.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD800 may have greater extension in both directions. I would rate the general sound signature of the HD800 as slightly treble-tilted and the HP1000 as mid-range focused. The HD800 may also be faster (at least when properly amped) and has significantly more clarity and separation. The HP1000, on the other hand, is not a clear/separated-sounding headphone.

The HP1000's mid-range is reportedly close to "neutral" which means that what you hear is tonally accurate with respect to the recording and reality. The HD800 may sound thinner in comparison.

That's some good information from Asr to help the OP gets a better idea on the HP1000 to HD800 comparison.

I don't have that many experience with HP1000s, so I can't really speak too much on the subject.

If you got to buy without auditioning, you'd probably be safer with the HP1000. People very rarely not like the HP1000.

Jan 2, 2010 at 1:28 PM Post #9 of 19
You know, if you like the Melos with the PS1, I'd probably get the HP1000 since the Melos would probably be good for it too. If you get the HD800, you might need to buy another amp, and not a cheap one.

Jan 2, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #10 of 19
Thats what ive been thinking. Im buying alot of Live CDs at the mo and some have them have been abit dissapointing to be honest. Ive just got a copy of the Killers, live in Albert Hall and it sounds amazing! Im starting to think i should put my money into finding well recorded audio, instead of buying up additional equipment.
Think im gonna hold off till Canjam. Il prob jump on the plane again and this time try and spend some time with the HP1000 and K1000 and maybe some high end STAX. I did Canjam last year and was so busy DAC hunting, i forgot to listen to most of the cans lol

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 19
I've owned four different HP2s over the years and have always ended up selling them off for some reason or another. The last pair I sold I did so after acquiring the HD800. My opinion on the matter is pretty much the opposite of those provided by Asr and rhtyhmdevils.

The HD800 gets me closer to the music than any other headphone I have owned. I agree with Asr that there is an initial wow factor to the HD800. For me this is attributed to their incredible soundstage. Some have described it as exaggerated or overblown, but after spending a couple hundred hours with them I would rather describe it as completely accurate. I feel that most will side with the exaggerated stance upon first reflection. The soundstage is truly massive, however I think many base their impression upon their experiences with other headphones and their expectations of what a headphone is "supposed" to sound like. In other words, their criteria is skewed because no other headphone has done for soundstage what the HD800 has done.

I feel that the HD800 is revolutionary in that it truly gets out of the way of the music and lets you hear exactly what is recorded. This has been said about many headphones over the years, of which I've owned, but I have found that the HD800 best represents that statement. I find it to be the most revealing and accurate headphone I have owned and I also find it to have the best midrange bar none. Comparing the HD800 and HP1000 back to back leaves me with the impression that the HP1000 is veiled, congested, lacks extension at both ends and/or is rolled off, and is just dark in nature. It feels as though the music is tight and bunched up, not having any room to breathe and extend itself, and simply sounds a bit dull in comparison. I never thought that way about the HP1000 until the HD800 came along.

Jan 2, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing the HD800 and HP1000 back to back leaves me with the impression that the HP1000 is veiled, congested, lacks extension at both ends and/or is rolled off, and is just dark in nature. It feels as though the music is tight and bunched up, not having any room to breathe and extend itself, and simply sounds a bit dull in comparison. I never thought that way about the HP1000 until the HD800 came along.

I agree with a lot of what you say about the HD800's presentation and clarity, but have to differ with you here. I came from the opposite direction, getting some HP1000s only after having owned the HD800s for a while, and my reaction was to stick the Senns in a drawer and not touch them for a month or so. The Grados were just so much more fun with most of the music I listen to that I didn't mind the giving up the out-of-head experience the HD800s offer. No, the HP1000s are not as analytical but, in my opinion, that's not because you're losing any detail -- it's because you simply focus less on the component parts of the sound when the musical whole is rocking harder.
smile.gif

Anyway, the initial thrill of novelty has passed and I'm back to using both pairs on a fairly even basis. I probably marginally prefer the HP1000 for rock and the HD800 for jazz. But they are each fine headphones and I feel very fortunate to be able enjoy both. Now, Simon says send me your PS-1s.

Jan 2, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 03029174 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a great rig already, PS1s and Melos for studio recordings

You have a Melos, and are unsure about whether to get an HP1000?

Dont get me worng, the Melos is a solid headphone amp on its own with most headphones, BUT Melos+HP-1000 was the definition of synergy for quite some time. You really should try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back