Grado HP 1000 questions
May 4, 2004 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cosmopragma

Headphoneus Supremus
Maybe this has been answered before, but since the search function is down again.....
I own a pair of SR 325s and I like them for some genres. I'm looking for a more refined upgrade.Are the HP 1000s a way to achieve this?
Differences between them and the modern RS1? They are at the same price level(used in near mint condition).
Last question: does anybody know something about the differences between the submodels HP1,HP2,HP3?

May 4, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 8
From What I hear, the HP 1000 series sounds more neutral, and to many (not all), much preferred over the RS1's somewhat colored sound. If you like the agressiveness of the sr-325s, it might not be a good upgrade. But if you like less-colored, more refined sound, it'd be good. Plus, they are very much sought for, if you can get you hands on one, try it out first. Or you may want to try the Alessandro-grado MSPro, which some say is a more neutral rival to the RS1.

May 5, 2004 at 1:04 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma
Maybe this has been answered before, but since the search function is down again.....
I own a pair of SR 325s and I like them for some genres. I'm looking for a more refined upgrade.Are the HP 1000s a way to achieve this?
Differences between them and the modern RS1? They are at the same price level(used in near mint condition).
Last question: does anybody know something about the differences between the submodels HP1,HP2,HP3?

They are more refined, but they don't really sound all that much alike actually. The HP-1000's are much more laid back and neutral sounding than any modern Grado, that I have heard. (I heard them all except the MSP and PS-1).

HP-1000 are also NOT easy to drive like modern Grados are, so you will need a nice powerful amp for them. Think Headroom or something along those lines.

HP-1 has phase switches, which are basically worthless unless you are in a old recording studio.

HP-2 same as above but without any phase switches.

HP-3 same as above but with not as closely matched drivers.

Please be very careful since the HP-2 and HP-3 look the exactly same, so make sure that you can see the original box that says what the headphone is when buying used.

May 5, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmopragma

AFAIK search is active only when you are logged in, but... WHY? This is bad for the newbie who read this forum for the first time, it makes him run away!
Administrators... please fix it?

Bye

Andrea

May 5, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 8
For me, it's not a definitive "HP-1000's are the end-all be-all." It has a very neutral tone, in the sense that nothing is emphasized. Detail and clarity are great. However, depending on the music style, may not always be the best match. For rock, it's a little too laid back, and not aggressive enough, and not as bass-y. But then this is why we have multiple headphones, so that with a switch of headphones, you have a different sound. For rock, I much prefer the SR100 and SR225 to the HP-2's. We'll see what it's like when I get my Melos back. For now I'm listening straight out of the headphone jack of my Sony 333ES.

That said, yes, it's pretty darn good.

May 5, 2004 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for your your replies, fellows.
Zanth, I've just read your review.Great, answers all my questions.
It's clear now, HP 1000s are not made for me since I prefer euphony.
The truth can be so cruel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back