Grado HF2 Discomfort
Jan 13, 2010 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
I find the HF2 to be very uncomfortable after even a very short listening session. The plastic housing seems to sit directly against my outer ear causing a numbing kind of pain. The discomfort reminds me of what I felt about the SR60's way back in the day.

The 225s and RS1 does not cause any pain. They felt a bit awkward at first, but I was able to quickly get used to the pads and could wear them for extended listening sessions with no pain. Unfortunately for me, the HF2 does not fit into this category.

I've been a Grado listener for a number of years, but must confess that I've paid almost no attention to any of the discussions about the various pads (bowls, flats, bagels, reverse, etcetera) used, the mixed 'n' match, and all the other good stuff.

I haven't measured, but I'm thinking the pads on the HF2 and RS1 are of a different size. And I'm not to keen on trying to force a pad intended for one can onto another if it causes it to stretch or tear.

I searched a few titles for this under "Grado HF2" and "HF2" but didn't find any thread title pertaining to my particular issue. And, I'm just not willing to revisit, page by page, the huge thread in hopes of finding an answer.

Have others been affected by this also? And, if so, what was your remedy?

Thanks for your help.

'Dwebe

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 31
I sold mine because of the exact same problem. Ear resting on the mesh driver screen. I think it may be worse than the RS1 because the HF2 has a larger lip, and so the pads get stretched wide, and therefore may not be as thick. But they are the same exact pads, you can swap, but it won't make a difference. You could try the comfy pads, you can get them from TTVJ for 10 dollars or something. Or modded HD414 pads.

Or, and this is what I wanted to try, but wound up selling them instead, you could find a pair of distancers/liberators which would move the grill away from your ear. I'd say put a WTB in the forum if you want a pair of these. Might sound great too!

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #3 of 31
I never had a comfort issue with Grados, the HF2 included. If you can find no solution to the discomfort, there will always be eager buyers in the marketplace section...me being one of them!
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 31
Uncomfortable fo rme as well. Tried even with Jumbo Pads but didn't like the result.
I use them only for short session ~ 1h.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 31
I find that propping your glasses (if you wear one) on top of the pad, tilting the cups forward by a bit and sliding the cups upward to be as close-fitting with your head as possible help.

You also need to burn-in the bowl pad a bit by prolonged wearing so they can conform to your skull's shape. My HF2 was initially uncomfortable as hell but now I can wear them for hours without problem.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, and this is what I wanted to try, but wound up selling them instead, you could find a pair of distancers/liberators which would move the grill away from your ear.

One needn't go through the trouble and expense of such a purchase. Reversing the bowls will accomplish essentially the same thing -- at zero cost. AudioDwebe, you can review a similar discussion (although relating to the 325i's) at the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off.../index111.html

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That option changes the sound though, for better or worse.

To me, I think for the better. It increases the soundstage quite nicely. I also think it balances out the sound sig. Others have said the jumbos add sibilance but I don't experience that at all. I like it so much I haven't had the bowls on in a long time.

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #10 of 31
ahh so this is why there are so many on the FS forum
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, and this is what I wanted to try, but wound up selling them instead, you could find a pair of distancers/liberators which would move the grill away from your ear. I'd say put a WTB in the forum if you want a pair of these. Might sound great too!

If I'm doin' the deed on a liberator and listening to tunes on the HF2 my girl (if I had one) would be a bit angry, I'm thinkin'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also need to burn-in the bowl pad a bit by prolonged wearing so they can conform to your skull's shape. My HF2 was initially uncomfortable as hell but now I can wear them for hours without problem.

I don't think the pad thickness is the problem. If anything, they're not thick enough to keep the plastic off my ears. If the pads flattened any more, I'd have the plastic only on my ears.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoreman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One needn't go through the trouble and expense of such a purchase. Reversing the bowls will accomplish essentially the same thing -- at zero cost. AudioDwebe, you can review a similar discussion (although relating to the 325i's) at the following thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off.../index111.html

Thanks for the suggestion about reversing the pads and also about getting the jumbos. By "jumbos" everyone means the pads that come on the GS1K and (presumably) PS1K, right? If they fit with no problems, I can take the ones off my GS1K to see how they fit/sound.

Thanks all.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 31
Agree with the suggestion of trying "jumbos". I personally don't have any discomfort problems wearing my HF2's, but I do make sure that I position them on my ears in a way that will offer me the most comfort.

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #13 of 31
The only issue that i have had with my HF2s have been the weight. I guess they just have always felt too heavy to me. But they sound so nice it is not as an issue. As far as the pads they feel the same as my SR-80s which took like a couple months to really feel great!!!

Jan 14, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #14 of 31
I can't speak for the HF-2 specifically, but I have had comfort issues with my RS2. I used the bowls (which sounded good) but eventually the contact against my ears would begin to really bother me. I've tried 414 pads (stock, quarter modded, reversed) and then finally tried quarter modded, reversed comfies. They're comfortable and they sound excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back