Grado HF-2 Predictions
Jun 25, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #31 of 36
My guess that it will be technically inferior to RS-1/MS-Pro tier but it will have such a beautiful tonality and timbre that all is forgiven.
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #32 of 36
This phone have gathered so much buzz and everyone is looking eagerly or anxiously on how the result turn up (incl me whom just ordered). This is a very good marketing buzz for Grado irregardless whether they make enough profit with the money they donated to HF community........

IMHO, Grado have nothing to loose in this project. Why ? If this HF-2 turn out to be in between 3251 and RS-2 , critics will say its the phone that is worth the money since the price point lies between the two. Fair enough, you got what you paid for.......

If it lies between 225 and 325, Grado have not too much to loose, it is a limited edition phone, its a bit of a disappointment. The most it will go down in history as a limited edition phone that is a failure, however knowing sound is a very subjective taste, there are still fans for this phone and due to its limited edition, it will still retain its exclusivity.

But if it better than RS-2 and on par or even better than RS-1 then it will be a major hit, the price will sky rocketed. Grado simply release another product that is similar to HF-2 in a more mass produced way......Critic will rate this phone as on par with HF-2 and people will still flock in buying it.........

And Grado will not be naive enough to design this phone in a scale of quality below 225 or 125 for sure.........

Anyway you look at it, its a good marketing campaign for Grado......So the $40 that goes to HF community is actually part of their marketing strategy/cost as this community is one of the biggest (or the biggest?) community for audio........

Even this phone ended up way under people expectation, it will go down in history as ONE product that failed and it wont affect the great name of Grado. That's the part where Grado understood very well.........

So all in all, IMHO, being a realist, I would say most likeliness that this phone lies between 325 and RS-2, with wishful hope that it will be better than RS-2 and on par with RS-1. For those who believe that it will be better than RS-1, sorry to say this but dream on..........

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by forbigger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who believe that it will be better than RS-1, sorry to say this but dream on..........

How about those of us who believe it will be better than the RS-1 because we've listened to both, and base it on experience? 30-40 minutes with an HF-2 in my home rig tells me it's better to my ears. Of course, I don't care much for the RS-1 (short of non-serial #, brown headband ones, which are $$$$$$ and few & far between). It has the traits that make the RS-1 one of the more technically proficient Grados without any of the glaring faults of the RS-1.

Jun 25, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #34 of 36
EN480c4 : There's no extreme on this subjective world of audio. If you think that it is better than RS-1 then it's your right......Heck, don't you think I want it to be better than RS-1 ? Since I also jump in the queue bandwagon ? I'm just trying to be a realistic so that all those high hopes dont come tumbling down when I finally get the phone in my hand.

Jun 25, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #35 of 36
Well, perhaps it would've been better if you had said that instead of "(f)or those who believe that it will be better than RS-1, sorry to say this but dream on..........", which dismisses not only the possibility that it could be better, but also the simple fact that a number of people who have heard both think it is better.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, perhaps it would've been better if you had said that instead of "(f)or those who believe that it will be better than RS-1, sorry to say this but dream on..........", which dismisses not only the possibility that it could be better, but also the simple fact that a number of people who have heard both think it is better.

I shall reserve this statement till I have the HF-2 in my hand and have a chance to compare it with the RS-1.......
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back