Grado HF-2 EQ Curve Sanity Check
Feb 21, 2020 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
The EQ curve is based on measurement and listening to match modified Harmon Curve (basically 5-6db down on the treble response vs target curve). I am using the big bowl pads.

Has anyone needed to make this dramatic EQ adjustment to make HF-2 sound relatively neural?

<ignore the title in the EQ curve, I am still learning the software :)>

Attachments

• HF-2 EQ Curve.jpg
    HF-2 EQ Curve.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 4
Completely agree with our large EQ. The Grado treble is notoriously bright and ear-piercing. I wish they would come up with some nice leather sealed pads to boost the bass and bring the treble more in line with the Harmon target.

That said, I highly recommend the yellow pads. They are horribly colored, but they measure the best of all the pads.

Yellow Pads
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoRS1eYellowPads.pdf

G-Cushion
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225iGPads.pdf

See how the yellow pads start to smooth out and tamp down the treble. The square 300Hz wave response starts to flatten out. The G-Cushion pads don't do enough for the bass nor treble.

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 4
The EQ curve is based on measurement and listening to match modified Harmon Curve (basically 5-6db down on the treble response vs target curve). I am using the big bowl pads.

Has anyone needed to make this dramatic EQ adjustment to make HF-2 sound relatively neural?

<ignore the title in the EQ curve, I am still learning the software :)>
Do you know where the peaks are? It's best if a rig accurately represents the output so you have an ideal.

The best guesstimate would be peaks at 2k and 10k. Q factor should be grater than 1, propabaly like 3 or so. Try different gain levels, in the negative. Try centered around 8-10k someplace. 2k is pretty consistant peak they exhibit.

So, the 2k likely rises too early, and since 2k and 10k peaks, there is a dipped area in between. You would need to adjust that area as well, if you want somw sort of a target response.

Have you looked at Oratory's EQ profiles on Reddit? It could help.

It would be best if you had a rig to check on what changes occured with your EQ.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back