Grado HF-1 v. SR-225 and RS-2: First impressions
Sep 16, 2005 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

PATB

1000+ Head-Fier
I was going to burn-in the HF-1 first, but since you maniacs want info now, here goes my first impressions.

But before that, here is the obligatory pic with the John Grado autograph.
IMG_1546.jpg

Here is a group picture of the contenders. The one without buttons is my SR-225.
IMG_1549.jpg

Now the sound. I use a modded Senn Pad for all three. Amp is Ray Samuels HR-2 connected to a Meridian G08 using Rega Couple interconnects. I have been listening a lot to the RS-2 and SR-225 lately so I am very familiar with their sound signatures.

The one thing I like about the RS-2 over the SR-225 is that the RS-2 sounds fuller, has more bass, and has smoother highs. Comparing the HF-1 to the SR-225, the HF-1 trumps the SR-225 in all of the aforementioned. Now the shocker, to my ears, IMHO, etc. the HF-1 even trumps my RS-2 on the same categories! The sound of the HF-1 is very full, not approaching HD650 or Stax Omega II full, but definitely fuller than that of the RS-2 or SR-225. This results in the HF-1 not sounding as bright as the RS-2 or SR-225. Yup, the HF-1 probably received the "i" tame the high treatment from John Grado -- YUMMY!!!!!!! The bass is about the same as the RS-2, but I don't have a definite conclusion as to which one I prefer. At this minute, the HF-1 is my favorite Grado.

Of course I feel like an idiot having just spent $500 on the RS-2 a couple of weeks ago. But it is all good for everybody in the community. I firmly believe John Grado definitely tweaked these babies just for us. I am definitely sending my pair to Larry for even more sonic goodness.

The HF-1 is burning-in right now. This is just my first impressions and I may have to change them once I listen to these guys some more.

Later.

---Pat

EDIT: Please don't forget to read the conclusion in post #15.

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #2 of 36
Looking forward to hearing your further impressions. I think that John really was kind to us with these since I would guess the wood really is an important part of the sound of the higher end cans like the RS-1 and RS-2...

Sep 16, 2005 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 36
Wow.

Ok, that's settled it. I'm ordering a pair of these on the 29th.
cool.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 36
Sweet, I liked the RS-2s...this justifies my HF-1 purchase
biggrin.gif
But now the true test is vs the RS-1
rs1smile.gif

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 36
Wow, that's interesting. Now burn them in and let the hype kind of drain away before doing another comparison, because I'm getting a feeling there's a little placebo in there.

But if there isn't, I think Mr. Grado has outdone himself!

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:16 AM Post #6 of 36
If we get more feedback like this- then I'm definitely going to buy one before the 30th.

Are there any canadian buyers out there? Don't know whether this has been covered in the mass of threads on the HF-1...

Curious to know whether there are any customs issues or quirks to know about, should I buy a pair...

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones
If we get more feedback like this- then I'm definitely going to buy one before the 30th.

Are there any canadian buyers out there? Don't know whether this has been covered in the mass of threads on the HF-1...

Curious to know whether there are any customs issues or quirks to know about, should I buy a pair...

I want the comparison with the rs-1s.

Pat.. what about a comparison of the rs-2s unamped and the HF-1s unamped. Who wins this one?

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Wow, that's interesting. Now burn them in and let the hype kind of drain away before doing another comparison, because I'm getting a feeling there's a little placebo in there.

But if there isn't, I think Mr. Grado has outdone himself!

In my case, it is reverse placebo. I expected the HF-1 to be different from the SR-225 but not by much. I was also convinced the RS-2 will easily trump the HF-1; after all, it is more expensive. So I wasn't even going to open mine until I read Lou's post saying his is defective!

Anyways, I will keep on comparing them later. I had to stop because my wife and kids are giving me the "you look weird" look. (Picture a grown man still wearing business attire, surrounded by a bunch headphones, and anxiously switching them in and out of one amplifier.
icon10.gif
)

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #9 of 36
I sneaked in and listened to 1 track; Natalie Merchant -- Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow Tree, which is kind of upbeat folk music.

The RS-2 is the definite winner in terms of clarity of sound. I guess the fullness results in some of the notes getting blurred a bit. Versus the SR-225, the HF-1 sounds smoother; the SR-225 sounds grainy in comparison. So I guess in terms of clarity, it is a toss up between the grainy "detail" (just extend treble probably) of the SR-225 versus the full but somewhat blurred detail of the HF-1.

EDIT: Chris, same result with unamped iPod mini except scaled down. The Sensaphonics is the clear winner in the iPod category!

More later.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 36
Hey,
I asked Todd about shipping to Canada and he said it was just an additional 15 bucks to ship it to Toronto!
orphsmile.gif

To me, that sounds quite reasonable.
However, I'm also a bit worried about the customs issue...

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by km.3000
Hey,
I asked Todd about shipping to Canada and he said it was just an additional 15 bucks to ship it to Toronto!
orphsmile.gif

To me, that sounds quite reasonable.
However, I'm also a bit worried about the customs issue...

He's shipping via USPS for $15 to Canada, so the only customs charges will be PST/GST plus $6.

Sep 16, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #12 of 36
Blurred notes?? really? If they're blurred a tiny bit only in comparison to the RS-2s, I guess that's Ok. Just elaborate when you get a chance, please.

Not to broken record it up, but impressions after more use will be interesting..

Sep 16, 2005 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
I sneaked in and listened to 1 track; Natalie Merchant -- Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow Tree, which is kind of upbeat folk music.

The RS-2 is the definite winner in terms of clarity of sound. I guess the fullness results in some of the notes getting blurred a bit. Versus the SR-225, the HF-1 sounds smoother; the SR-225 sounds grainy in comparison. So I guess in terms of clarity, it is a toss up between the grainy "detail" (just extend treble probably) of the SR-225 versus the full but somewhat blurred detail of the HF-1.

Thanks, Pat. Very cool. Ok, I'm feeling better, wanted to make sure I wasn't going too far over the top in my assessment, I guess I'm on track. Very interesting the comparison to the RS-2. I'm not trying to defend the HF-1 but I think we all need to remember we're dealing with un-burned in cans, things may get even better, things like clarity and such may work themselves out. Quite good though already aren't they!

EDIT: I hear what you mean. With some music I hear it mainly through the upper bass and lower midrange area. That's definitely one of those areas that could break in a good bit due to the transducer loosening up. I personally think the HF-1's top end is more clear/refined than the 225

Sep 16, 2005 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 36
IMG_1550.jpg

Please understand that these are first impressions of unburned cans. I normally would not do this but some people are desperate enough for even 6 second impressions or pics from a camera phone for goodness sake!

Anyways, my last first impression is this: Do not compare the HF-1 to the SR-225. The HF-1 is definitely the better can to my ears. The comparison should be to the RS-2. Is the RS-2 $300 better? I don't think so. However, as far as looks, the HF-1 is one UGLY headphone (sorry Grado fans) whereas the RS-2 is gorgeous. But then again, there is always Larry if you have another $250 to spare.

---Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back