Mar 16, 2021 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
Grado Hemp - Mini Review. - 3-16-2021

Right out of the box impression.<

The cable is not swappable.
The Pads are decent.
The Headband is Leather and firm.
The Stock pads give you more Grado, and G-pads give you more soundstage.

------------------

So, Ive owned 7 Grado's.
This is #5.
Ive owned inexpensive and i've owned the most expensive.
Wood cups, metal, Special Editions, all of it.
In general, i could not enjoy the typical Grado Sound Signature that pushes too much upper mids and dynamic treble energy into the ears.
Recently, i purchased the GW100x, and i like it.
Prior to this, i owned the Gs3000 and liked it, and owned the RS1x and did not like it at all.

Enter the "Hemp" Revised, by Grado.

Its a good one.

The reason is, the Bass is substantial, the upper Bass/low Mids are not missing, and the rest of the Mids are nicely detailed. The Treble has good presence, plenty of micro-detail, and yet is not shrill, or etched.

This is a Grado.
A Grado Headphone is designed to REVEAL, and to reveal, you have to have DETAIL RETRIEVAL, and the Hemp revised has plenty.
The "Hemp" by Grado, is very refined overall, to the point that its going to be appreciated by most who have never enjoyed a Grado before.
Grado should put this set of drivers in a over the ear set of headphones with leather pads, as a LTD.
The Hemp revised is a very good sounding set of headphones.

Comfort : Typical of a Grado Headphone, the Hemp revised, is so light that it feels ok on the head//ears.

Comfort : 7

Frame : Its a Grado frame. Metal that can be reshaped to best suit your needs.

Pads : F pads, open.

Treble : Present, revealing, pleasing.

Midrange : Very resolving, good dynamics, impressive.

Upper Bass/Low Mids : Tweeked in, which allows the overall tone/FR to feel more solid and satisfyingly rich.

Bass : Best Grado Bass i've ever heard. Its dynamic and full, yet not so thick that it overpowers and upsets the overall sonic balance of the revised Hemp's sound sig.

Soundstage : The Grado Hemp's Soundstage is circular with good depth and width.

Instrument Separation : Impressive

Timbre : Realistic

-
-
DSC09626.JPG

-
DSC09625.JPG

-
DSC09627.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 36
Good review. I was planning on picking up a pair this week, so this is good to see. The three headphones that are in the running are the RS2e, the Meze 99 Classics, and the Hemp. The Hemp is currently leading the pack, but I plan on auditioning them this week to decide.

I’m curious, what are the other three Grados you have? You mentioned the Hemp and the GW100. What are the other three and how would you compare each of them to the Hemp?

Mar 16, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 36
Good review. I was planning on picking up a pair this week, so this is good to see. The three headphones that are in the running are the RS2e, the Meze 99 Classics, and the Hemp. The Hemp is currently leading the pack, but I plan on auditioning them this week to decide.

I’m curious, what are the other three Grados you have? You mentioned the Hemp and the GW100. What are the other three and how would you compare each of them to the Hemp?

Sorry im late to respond.
Been busy listening to the Hemp's for about 5 hrs.
The Grado's i mentioned are the RS2E, the GS1000, the PS500, the GW100, and the only one that matters = Queen Hemp.

Played the Hemp's too loud to begin with, because that is what you do when the sound is too good and you are just digging into all your favorite Tracks.
Fatigued my ears just a bit, so..... turned them down, and they are still great.
The Bass is special. This is going to surprise people who give these a test ride. Not the quantity, but the quality.

I can tell you that the Meze-99C is a dull bassy FR.
Its the king of Low Mids, mostly.

To compare the "Hemp" to the other Grado's ..... ummm, Its all about how the Hemp's Tonal Balance + its Natural Sound, is just clearly better than any other Grado i've ever experienced.
Z Reviews said they are basically the best of the best, and i understand what he means..
Now, i dont say that any Gear is the best, but, the Hemp is special.
Will everyone love it?
Nope.

For one thing....You can't expect On-Ear to sound like Over ear, and if you try to evaluate any ON Ear in that direction, you will fail to appreciate what a Great On-Ear set can do for you, emotionally.
Some reviewer on UTBE said he was crying when using them..... just blown away. Lost in the experience.
So, i realize that it sounds like im pushing the Sales pitch, but, im not. This is just a really Good Grado, and im glad that i found one that does not fry my ears with harsh FR.
Now.....These babies have some dynamic energy on tap. Laid back is not their sonic style. This is definitely not LCD-2 land.
If you are use to on-ear, then the Hemp will prove it is exceptional.
If you have not experienced On-Ear then this one will show you what a really good On-Ear Gear is all about.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 36
Hemp Heaven Remastered

Ok, ive now tried all the available pads that will fit the Hemp.
Here is the winner +winner
The Yellow is comfortable and allows for the best sound quality.
The large black GS1000 Pads offer the most comfort and soundstage and less edgy dynamic energy, for a more relaxed sound pleasing sound.

find them here :

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ds=grado+headphone+pads&qid=1617054000&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/misodiko-Replacement-Headphones-Pads-Cushions/dp/B07HJ7XF2F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2HYLFYREUBVC9&dchild=1&keywords=grado+headphone+pads&qid=1617235550&sprefix=grado+headpho,aps,172&sr=8-3
-
-
DSC09671.JPG

-
DSC09672.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 36
Hemp Heaven Remastered

The large black GS1000 Pads offer the most comfort and soundstage and less edgy dynamic energy, for a more relaxed sound pleasing sound.

find them here :

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...ds=grado+headphone+pads&qid=1617054000&sr=8-8

https://www.amazon.com/misodiko-Replacement-Headphones-Pads-Cushions/dp/B07HJ7XF2F/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2HYLFYREUBVC9&dchild=1&keywords=grado+headphone+pads&qid=1617235550&sprefix=grado+headpho,aps,172&sr=8-3
-
-
DSC09671.JPG
-
DSC09672.JPG
Hi
What change do the sennheisher pads make to the sound signature compared to the stock pads?
How does hemp work with the l-cush pads?
I just bought my hemp, I will have them in a few days.
At the moment, gh2 grados is my favorite grado headphone. I hope these hemp are a good complement to my gh2s
Greetings.

Apr 19, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 36
Hi
What change do the sennheisher pads make to the sound signature compared to the stock pads?
How does hemp work with the l-cush pads?
I just bought my hemp, I will have them in a few days.
At the moment, gh2 grados is my favorite grado headphone. I hope these hemp are a good complement to my gh2s
Greetings.
Well, like all pad changes, the FR changes.
The larger G- pads, create more distance between your ears and the driver, and of course they are more comfortable.
IN this case, the sound is softer, and more full, with less midrange intensity.
The Yellow solid pads are fairly comfortable, and make the overall sound a bit more balanced while retaining the more forward midrange energy.
You may feel that the stock pads give the best sound, and they do sound good.
Z Reviews loves the Hemp's and they are also my favorite.

Apr 19, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #11 of 36
Hemp Heaven Remastered

find them here :

-
-

-

I have found this to be true of my Bushmills as well. Any pad that has an opening, including the BeautifulAudio luxe pads, just ruin the bass for me. The yellows are my favorite.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 36
I wonder how the Hemp compares to the Bushmills.

Update.. just purchased a used pair terminated with xlr, can't wait to hear them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back