Grado headphone equivialnt in speakers
May 24, 2013 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Dodgercat

New Head-Fier
I just spent a LOT of time evaluating a number of headphones. Ultrasone Pro 900. HI-FIMAN 400s Byerdynamics, AudioTechnicas etc...and the sound signiture that appealed most to me, was the Grado Headphones, particularly - because they were, the only or closest way to describe it in universally understood language, by those with the understanding, is that they were " FAST ' meaning that they quickly and distinguishingly moved crisply with the music.....I think those that know and appreciate Grados, will understand what I mean, you can't always put these things into words.....good at fast paced  Rock....Where the Ultrasone and HI-FIMAN couldn't keep up, like old boat cars, the Grado just kept revving, eager for more.....So my question is : To those of you that love that kind of Grado sound signiture,....what would you say is the equivelant in speaker manufacturers ?

Thanks,

Dodger

May 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 7
I own a pair of Grados and ended up picking up a pair of Vandersteen speakers. Their 2ce Signature II model is considered to be one of the great values in high-end audio.

PSB and Paradigm are also well-regarded manufacturers. You can't go wrong with any of their offered speaker lines.

May 25, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 7
You couldn't get any more equivalent than these.

Yup, a pair of line arrays made using 32 Grado headphone drivers each. They're prototypes made by Grado, however they were never put into production as far as I'm aware.

se

May 25, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
You couldn't get any more equivalent than these.

Yup, a pair of line arrays made using 32 Grado headphone drivers each. They're prototypes made by Grado, however they were never put into production as far as I'm aware.

se

Time to buy 32 SR-60's...

May 25, 2013 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Time to buy 32 SR-60's...

biggrin.gif

se

May 25, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 7
A speaker is never going to really sound like a headphone.
Headphones have there place but there is so much they just simply can't do compared to a speaker.

I've never heard a Grado.
If it's simply a good priced sounds good with rock there is Infinity Primus or Polk Audio RTI series.

It it's the midrange British speakers are usually considered to have really good midrange Wharfedale,Mordaunt Short,Bowers & Wilkins,Tannoy,Monitor Audio,Epos,etc...

Bookshelves have a very focused sound wise on treble and mids with very satisfying bass.
That type of speaker would be more like a headphone than a tower speaker.

May 26, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #7 of 7
I tried a number of bookshelf speakers over the last few years, and finally arrived at the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs exactly because they have a fast transient response for their price that reminds me of Grados. However, the 170s are fairly neutral in overall frequency response--they remind me more of the SR80i than the SR225i, only a little tighter bass than both, but with less emphasized mids and highs.

Not trying to say that these sound exactly like Grados. Just that the transient response was the best I've heard in their price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back