Grado Headphone Cables -- 4 Conductors or 3?
Apr 29, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 15
SR60's use 3 conductor, SR80's and above use 4 conductors, IIRC.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR60's use 3 conductor, SR80's and above use 4 conductors, IIRC.

Cool, thanks. Can anyone else confirm?

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcp12345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to know as well.

The Monkey,
Are you going to terminate your grado in balance config?

If the HF-1 has 4 leads, then I am seriously considering it. But if only 3, I'm not in the mood to do an entire rewiring job.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 15
I cut the TRS plug off my SR225 and RS1. They both have four wires. I put a 5 pin XLR connector on them for balanced connection to my amps. I think all Grados have four wires to the plug.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by dip16amp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cut the TRS plug off my SR225 and RS1. They both have four wires. I put a 5 pin XLR connector on them for balanced connection to my amps. I think all Grados have four wires to the plug.

tongue.gif

You only need a 4-pin XLR. I believe the pinout for headphones is:

1: L+
2: L-
3: R+
4: R-
Tab: Shield

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #8 of 15
Some people use two 3-pin XLR connectors, some use a 4-pin XLR connector, there is an AES standard (AES14-1992) for 5-pin XLR connector with the following pinout.

Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 Left Positive
Pin 3 Left Negative
Pin 4 Right Positive
Pin 5 Right Negative

I first considered a 4-pin XLR connector but wanted the ground pin for an unbalanced adapter to the amp. The tab shield is not a reliable ground return path.

Apr 30, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Thanks, I have added them to my list with a question mark re all Grados.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Some people use two 3-pin XLR connectors, some use a 4-pin XLR connector, there is an AES standard (AES14-1992) for 5-pin XLR connector with the following pinout.

Pin 1 Ground
Pin 2 Left Positive
Pin 3 Left Negative
Pin 4 Right Positive
Pin 5 Right Negative

I first considered a 4-pin XLR connector but wanted the ground pin for an unbalanced adapter to the amp. The tab shield is not a reliable ground return path.

Meh. No company I know of has ever made a headphone or amp with a 5-pin XLR and very few head-fiers use them if any at all. A shield isn't that important for a headphone cable anyways.

IMO, the best set of output jacks would be 2 3-pin combo jacks or 2 3-pin combo jacks and a 4-pin jack.

I recable my headphones to 4-pin XLR's, btw.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #13 of 15
Nice to hear, I'll be doing my MS-2's with 4pin XLR for a balanced dynahi setup I've been putting together
(just need a few more parts, I got 2 going in a regular unbalanced and just need some opamps, vregs and caps for the other 2)

Apr 30, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKi][er /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to hear, I'll be doing my MS-2's with 4pin XLR for a balanced dynahi setup I've been putting together
(just need a few more parts, I got 2 going in a regular unbalanced and just need some opamps, vregs and caps for the other 2)

Cool, if you wouldn't mind please confirm that the MS-2 has 4 leads after you do the surgery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back