Grado GS1000i one channel is behaving really weird
Mar 13, 2013 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Agueli

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! First time poster here (and Swedish), so please be gentle.

I have had a problem with my GS1Ki's for a while now, the right channel has a problem with loud bass specifically, and loud volume in general (and by this I mean moderately, but still, loud). I can start out listening and they perform well, but when I turn on something bass-heavy the balance shifts a lot to the left, bass distorts in the right channel and eventually it goes out completely. I can either try tapping the wood on the right phone, which can both give back the sound and take it away completely again, or I can lower the volume significantly and raise it again and some of the sound comes back, but with even more heavily distorted bass than when it went out.

I'm afraid I can't be any more specific about this problem, I've had these phones for about a year now, they're well burnt in, with no weird pink noise or whatever. I have also tried to carefully open them but have been unsuccessful as they don't seem to behave like other models in this matter. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for all your help, and please don't tell me the driver is about to give up, as I would start to cry uncontrollably.

Oh, and one thing I forgot: if I use a USB soundcard to drive the phones, the problem is less noticeable than if I were to listen to them from my iPhone.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #2 of 3
Sounds like the vocie coil touches the pole pices, maybe because of a hair or some debris. Use a strong light and see if the diaphragm looks fine and symmetric (ear side), sometimes dents in the plastic could misplace the voice coil. See the story about the Focal problems explained on Innerfidelity.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #3 of 3
Oh... Thanks! I will try to interpret this the best I can, but do you think there's a chance you could explain this in a way a non-tech savvy person could understand? It would be really helpful. I will read the article and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back