GRADO GS1000 : ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN?
May 25, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruppin
Thanks, analog'd. I'm enjoying this thread. I shall now exercise tremendous self-restraint and not comment until I have at least 100-150 hours on my GS-1000s.

If you also have a lowly pair of AKG701s I'd also be interested in your thoughts. I find some similarities that I like.

Oh, since it seems to have become unfashionable to post without at least bashing something or someone; curse you for planting thoughts of the AKG-1000s in my acquisitive mind.
eek.gif

thank you, nice to get some positive response!

very interesting, your perception of the akg k701's, cause I've thought very much the same. been thinking its mostly due to soundstage and the high end being SO much sweeter on the GS1000's than on other Grados - ?

I can't compare as my 19 year old daughter (an analog nut, owner of a classic Fisher receiver w/tele's, a ray samuels xp7, ety er4s's etc etc etc) is now the owner of my 701's! she's a great kid (and very talented drummer in NYC if I do say so myself) and had just finally destroyed her 8 yr old grado sr60's (too many gigs, too little help with her kit...) SO, I figured between my k1000's, gs1000's, cd3000's and etys (soon to be joined by shure e500's) I could really try and be a bit generous, I mean, she is my kid and all.

anyway, I'll ask her to bring 'em up with her on June 3rd and we will both compare. i can tell you that saturday when the grados only had 24 hrs on em, Sammi did spend a few minutes under them and she said "yea, i get why i get the 701's. these are just crasy". she then said that the 701's were heaven anyway. she's a gracious girl... but she has a point: I actually miss them. i've been surprised that they didn't do more for Mercuttio. HEY M- did you keep yours for the full break-in? whattsa matta wid you anyway
icon10.gif

oh, I forgot: everybody stinks! all headphones suck! todd is the devil. tyll is also the devil. umm, who'd I leave out? oh, yea, satchmo was lip synching!!!

May 25, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 29
I compared the GS1000 to an R10 at the recent National Meet, by listening to classical music. As far as I was able to determine in that rather noisy environment, the grado performed essentially as well as the R10, but it costs less than 1/3 as much.

May 25, 2006 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 29
u guys really suck... I thought I'd bought my one and only $1k+ Grado... now I want another one... damn you all!

tongue.gif

May 28, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #21 of 29
Please don't John Grado our recordings! I think I'm going to start up a charity for the protection of honest, hard working classical musicians against the Grado house sound! Please, please, that's not what I sound like! Honest!

very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously though if you love it that's all that counts. But I think those claiming the GS1K to be the greatest can for classical music will be in the minority. Classical music doesn't tolerate additive colouration very well (though you ears might), the problem being that there is such a vast range of tonality that one recording might mesh well with a certain colouration whereas another might sound deafeningly bright with the same colouration. I think what the GS1K might do is expand (artificially, but headphones are artificial either way) the soundstage to give a sense of 'being there'. But from the musicians perspective, it's 'tonality tonality tonality' - that is where the music is, in the fundamental sound.

I think I should compile a list of wonderful classical recordings that will put you off the Grado house sound for life, but for now, if any of you GS1K people have the Abbado/Berlin Phil/DG 2000 recording of Beethoven 6, have a go at the storm movement - maybe even set up a camera to show the moment of ear drum perforation when those Berlin trumpets go crazy... That movement is actually also an excellent example of why that huge but narrow bass hump isn't a great idea for this music - you'll know the celli are playing something fast, but you'll have not the faintest idea exactly what they are playing.

Edit: the title of this thread is very fitting and somewhat ironic.

May 28, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Seriously though if you love it that's all that counts. But I think those claiming the GS1K to be the greatest can for classical music will be in the minority. Classical music doesn't tolerate additive colouration very well (though you ears might), the problem being that there is such a vast range of tonality that one recording might mesh well with a certain colouration whereas another might sound deafeningly bright with the same colouration. I think what the GS1K might do is expand (artificially, but headphones are artificial either way) the soundstage to give a sense of 'being there'. But from the musicians perspective, it's 'tonality tonality tonality' - that is where the music is, in the fundamental sound.

I think I should compile a list of wonderful classical recordings that will put you off the Grado house sound for life, but for now, if any of you GS1K people have the Abbado/Berlin Phil/DG 2000 recording of Beethoven 6, have a go at the storm movement - maybe even set up a camera to show the moment of ear drum perforation when those Berlin trumpets go crazy... That movement is actually also an excellent example of why that huge but narrow bass hump isn't a great idea for this music - you'll know the celli are playing something fast, but you'll have not the faintest idea exactly what they are playing.

Edit: the title of this thread is very fitting and somewhat ironic.

TheSloth, I don't want to disagree with you entirely, but would offer come concurring and some dissenting thoughts.

First, I don't remember, have you listened to the GS-1000s? If so, were they broken in?

Second, since I do listen to a lot of classical music, I would concur that the "Grado house sound" as I understand it, is not ideal for full orchestral classical music. Listening to Stravinsky on 325is is not an experience I intend to repeat.

Aside (Reader, if all you care about is the GS-1000 issue, skip this section): I would though, TheSloth, appreciate your input both as listener and as classical musician on the following thought:

Earlier this month, while in the middle of a lot of headphone (and speaker) listening, I went to Boston Symphony Hall for a BSO concert. We heard a modern composition from a Finnish composer (Sorry, I forget her name), a Beethoven Piano Concerto, and Sibelius' 4th symphony. The seats were not accoustically ideal (first balcony/box area- close to stage right,) but they were certainly adequate. Being just behind the Soloist and other visuals were worth the trade off. It had far too long between concerts.

I was expecting to see just how good the clarity and seperation were going to be with real live music in an accoustically excellent venue. I learned a lot. For one thing, when you get a lot of cellos going at once you don't hear each one seperately, you get a composite sound (and a distinctly physical sensation). I learned exactly what to expect of one bass, or one oboe. I would like to observe that classical music, at least when a number of instuments play simultaneously, provides its own coloration derived from the instruments and molded by the venue. Now, when I listen to recorded music, I realize that some of what I thought was veiled or blurred in the music was in fact perfectly accurate.

I guess I think that, sometimes, classical music can stand (and maybe even benefit from) more or less coloration (spice to taste). Also remember that with recorded music, more factors such as the microphones, add additional dimensions. By the time it hits the amp, it is already impure.

Therefore, I can't go along with your statement that classical music doesn't tolerate coloration. Sometimes it does. Anyway, my thought has little to do with Grado's but I would be interested in your take on the theory that all is colored.

3) [Back to GS-1000s]I am currently burning in a pair of GS-1000s so my statements on them are qualified. My usual classical cans are balanced 650s, unbalaced 650s and 701s.

4) "Classical music", I am sure you would agree, is a pretty broad term. I find that Chamber Music, and some Jazz sound great on some Grado's including, and especially, the GS-1000s. I'm not sure that I'm wording this correctly, but when the music is less "dense or challenging" or more "intimate" the Grado GS-1000s sound excellent. They simply put you closer to the music, as you would be if you were listening to it in a smaller space or at a closer distance. The instruments sound real. Too be sure, sometimes "real" is not as smooth as I would like (e.g. with some pianos).

5) I have yet to hear with the GS-1000s, even before burn in, the (call it what you will) "grado sound"; sibilant highs, or "spike". The music, and it is easier to tell with chamber music" (see number 4), not only sounds good but it sounds accurate. Piano music, (again premature) may also sound extremely accurate. For all I know, full orchestral music may sound more accurate when the phones are burned in. Bottom line, I'm not ready to concede that the GS-1000s don't sound tonally accurate (graph notwithstanding), or at least as accurate overall as other "classical" phones.

6) Finally, I'll admit that I would prefer to sit in the 8-12th row orchestra center. For some classical, I prefer to be seated at a little distance and will go with the 650s or the 701s. But, when I do, I wonder if the smoother 650s aren't coloring the sound and changeing the bottom.

7) My conclusion is that I am not ready to concede that the GS-1000s aren't accurate when you listen to them. I assert with no reservations so far that, to me, the problems I had with harsh highs on other Grado phones is gone with the GS-1000s. I have yet, in my inexperience, to hear any phone that satisfies me as to the near perfect accuracy of its base. So the GS-1000 could just be one different compromise on bass (650: possibly muddy, veiled, too mush bass / 701: too lean, highs also not perfect,).

8) Therefore, I don't see how you can assert categorically that the GS-1000s aren't great classical cans or that those who think they are will be in the minority. But mine aren't burned in, I am not claiming that they are better than my other phones for classical, and I am not taking their cost into account. But I can use them to listen to Stravinsky without pain. I would say that they are, to date, much better at classical music than I would have believed. To me, it is a delightul surprise and a bonus. But, if I were to be allowed only one pair of headphones for classical music, I don't know if I would choose these. Let us, however, give them at least a couple of hundred additional hours breaking in before I am sure about anything. .

Finally, TheSloth, I wouldn't have imposed on you but since you offered: please, please do:

a) Put together a list of classical recordings that will put me off the Grado Sound. Thy need to be available. I would prefer if the list were limited to recordings you actually like, and to recordings that won't put me off other headphones. Vinyl or CD is fine.

b) add a separate list, of recordings that you think are great period, and that you might use just to listen non-critically. I always look for recommendations from those who know, and you did offer.
icon10.gif

c) suggest 10 (or some manageable number) of "Head-Fi" standards. They should be redbook CDs Maybe we could get one or more of our sponsors to stock the set. Even better is to order a 2CD set (which is , legal, royalty paying, licened etc) so that we could have an easily obtainable common vocabulary when we compare equipment.

What do you think?

May 29, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

I was expecting to see just how good the clarity and seperation were going to be with real live music in an accoustically excellent venue. I learned a lot. For one thing, when you get a lot of cellos going at once you don't hear each one seperately, you get a composite sound (and a distinctly physical sensation). I learned exactly what to expect of one bass, or one oboe. I would like to observe that classical music, at least when a number of instuments play simultaneously, provides its own coloration derived from the instruments and molded by the venue. Now, when I listen to recorded music, I realize that some of what I thought was veiled or blurred in the music was in fact perfectly accurate.
...snip

Finally, TheSloth, I wouldn't have imposed on you but since you offered: please, please do:

a) Put together a list of classical recordings that will put me off the Grado Sound. Thy need to be available. I would prefer if the list were limited to recordings you actually like, and to recordings that won't put me off other headphones. Vinyl or CD is fine.

b) add a separate list, of recordings that you think are great period, and that you might use just to listen non-critically. I always look for recommendations from those who know, and you did offer.
icon10.gif

c) suggest 10 (or some manageable number) of "Head-Fi" standards. They should be redbook CDs Maybe we could get one or more of our sponsors to stock the set. Even better is to order a 2CD set (which is , legal, royalty paying, licened etc) so that we could have an easily obtainable common vocabulary when we compare equipment.

What do you think?

Interesting how so many of the terms such as instrument seperation and suchlike take on such a different meaning in the real world? When I say classical music, I suppose what I really mean is music played by unamplified instruments in a specific acoustic venue.

You are right about celli, and my comment was really more about hearing what the actual notes were en-masse than about distinguishing one cellist from another, something which if audible would be a failing of sorts. That's one reason why I never get into arguments about 'detail' or 'veil' or any of these other artificial terms. Yes, you can get detail by fiddling with particularly frequency ranges, but are you doing to the recording something akin to the using various frequency and location isolation technologies to hear in a crowd individual voices that might otherwise be inaudible in reality? Might be fun, but it's not real.

A challenge! Put together the anti-Grado collection! It sounds silly, and I don't have anything against John Grado - his headphones have given incredible pleasure to thousands of listeners. But I think there are some interesting illustrations of why the particular 'sound' of many Grado headphones (no I haven't spent that much time with the GS1K and unless someone gives me one I don't see how I'm going to, plus I have over sensitive ears and would be scared to use any headphone with a +17db upper midrange peak for an extended period of time) might be damaging to the source material in question.

All of the recordings in such a collection would of course be recordings I know and love, otherwise I wouldn't own them. I'll work on it!

May 29, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
A challenge! Put together the anti-Grado collection! It sounds silly, and I don't have anything against John Grado - his headphones have given incredible pleasure to thousands of listeners. But I think there are some interesting illustrations of why the particular 'sound' of many Grado headphones (no I haven't spent that much time with the GS1K and unless someone gives me one I don't see how I'm going to, plus I have over sensitive ears and would be scared to use any headphone with a +17db upper midrange peak for an extended period of time) might be damaging to the source material in question.

All of the recordings in such a collection would of course be recordings I know and love, otherwise I wouldn't own them. I'll work on it!

I wasn't serious about the anti-Grado list. But I would love to see what specific recordings ring your bell, especially since, as you know, I can listen with a system that you don't entirely dissaprove of.
icon10.gif

Seriously, if I hadn't actually plugged a pair of, as yet, unburned-in, GS-1000s into both a Raptor and a Maxxed out balanced home, I wouldn't believe they might be good for classical music either. Note my use of the word "surprised" in my last comments. I won't say that the new GS-1000s (not-balanced) will replace the burned-in, balanced 650s on the maxxed out balanced home. I will say they sounded pretty good. I wll also say, that where the 650s (unbalanced with Equinox cable), can frequently sound too sweet or muddy on the Raptor, the GS-1000s also sound pretty good out of the box.

I'm sure, that unless they only let you eat with a plastic spoon, you could probably listen to the GS-1000s without hurting yourself.
gs1000.gif
gs1000.gif

May 30, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #26 of 29
I just described another positive experience with the GS-1000s and classical music on another of analog'd threads.http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=1#post2158307

So, instead of repeating everything here, let me just say that the Gs-1000s continue to surprise. I hope that we will start hearing from some more experienced listeners who now have burned in Phones. Meanwhile, I guess I'm highly skeptical of any opinion based on a graph rather than listening.

May 30, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

I just described another positive experience with the GS-1000s and classical music on another of analog'd threads.http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=1#post2158307

So, instead of repeating everything here, let me just say that the Gs-1000s continue to surprise. I hope that we will start hearing from some more experienced listeners who now have burned in Phones. Meanwhile, I guess I'm highly skeptical of any opinion based on a graph rather than listening.

I agree. Mine have about 85 hours and burning as I type. They sound very linear and pleasing. FR graphs don't mean crap to me. Listening is everything. The spike that you see in the high frequency range isn't noticeable, maybe because it is a spacial Q that is at very low volumes anyway. It may give better ambiance.

Either way, the GS-1000 sounded better than the RS-1 out of the box (The RS-1 midrange might be a tad bit warmer and possibly a hair better, but all the rest goes to the GS-1000. And burn in is making this gap wider. Can't say I'll sell my RS-1 though. It's has a spot in my heart and has it's own sound that I don't think will ever be duplicated.

The only thing I miss about the RS-1 is that I could use it in OTL mode for a true tube sound because it requires less power. I had to use the tranformers with the GS-1000. It will need a more powerful amp then I have right now. I'll wait for amp impressions before I purchase.

Oh, did I mention bass weight? Sounds like I'm listening to a subwoofer. Very tight and powerful for headphones and not sloppy like the RS-1 with flats.

May 30, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

This is nothing new; the RS-1 has also been described as good for classical before.

May 30, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
This is nothing new; the RS-1 has also been described as good for classical before.

I like the RS1 with classical. If you can believe it, I find the HD650 to be too colored (sorry, that's a lot of bass) and slow. There's no way of getting around the slow response of the HD650 when it comes to quick precise music. I've made this observation on a Bithead, AE-1, and SR71 (all slow to the point of unlistenable). My PPA is very quick and made it listenable, and Jason's Dynamight was also pretty fast. Even still, the HD650 hits a brick wall with faster things pretty... well, quickly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back