Grado GS1000 pads tape modified?
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Varun916

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
I've read all the threads of how the gs1000 pad sucks for everything except the gs1000. Partly because of the bass that is lost. Has anyone tried the tape-around-the bowls mod with the jumbo pads? Specifically on a 325i? What are your opinions of this sound?

Thanks!

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #2 of 14
I tried the tape around the pads idea, not so much with the G-cush salad bowls as with the L-cush doughnuts. I got more bass but the result sounded muddier, sort of like listening to a Bose product. I didn't like it.

I did, however, end up slicing off a few millimeters to bring the ears closer to the driver. My fear was that in doing this, I'd just end up where I was with the doughnuts. But the wider aperture of the G-cush pads actually allowed better HF dispersion. It's my contention that, for an unamped experience, increasing the ear/driver distance while widening the pad is overkill. On even my GS-1000, the sound got too sweet it felt sibilant. I hated it. When I told others, they said I needed to burn my GS-1000s in. Then they told me that I had to break my pads in, through such things as washing them, squishing them, bending them, et cetera, until they became so soft that they squished together more readily. It didn't take long for me to realize they were advocating some form of compression back towards that driver that had been distanced by the new pads.

So, one day when I got the nerve, I cut a few millimeters off of the front of the pads. it worked wonders. The bass came back while the benefits of that wider mouth still gave me a lot more HF presence than I'd had with the doughnuts. My GS-1000s finally sounded as great as people were telling me they could. It impressed me so much that I took the same set of scissors to a spare pad, which I applied to my SR-60. The SR-60 didn't have the depth of bass you'd get out of a GS-1000 but it was still quite impressive, especially while grabbing all that fresh HF from the wider aperture of the cushion's mouth.

I've talked about this before, so I won't clutter up your thread with it. If you get curious, I have pics over at my albums. Disregard the ugly guy in the picture. That's me.

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much did that set you back? What effect did it have on the sound?

On my sr325 the High tones are better/softer/nicer , the low and bas stay the same

Dec 6, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the tape around the pads idea, not so much with the G-cush salad bowls as with the L-cush doughnuts. I got more bass but the result sounded muddier, sort of like listening to a Bose product. I didn't like it.

I did, however, end up slicing off a few millimeters to bring the ears closer to the driver. My fear was that in doing this, I'd just end up where I was with the doughnuts. But the wider aperture of the G-cush pads actually allowed better HF dispersion. It's my contention that, for an unamped experience, increasing the ear/driver distance while widening the pad is overkill. On even my GS-1000, the sound got too sweet it felt sibilant. I hated it. When I told others, they said I needed to burn my GS-1000s in. Then they told me that I had to break my pads in, through such things as washing them, squishing them, bending them, et cetera, until they became so soft that they squished together more readily. It didn't take long for me to realize they were advocating some form of compression back towards that driver that had been distanced by the new pads.

So, one day when I got the nerve, I cut a few millimeters off of the front of the pads. it worked wonders. The bass came back while the benefits of that wider mouth still gave me a lot more HF presence than I'd had with the doughnuts. My GS-1000s finally sounded as great as people were telling me they could. It impressed me so much that I took the same set of scissors to a spare pad, which I applied to my SR-60. The SR-60 didn't have the depth of bass you'd get out of a GS-1000 but it was still quite impressive, especially while grabbing all that fresh HF from the wider aperture of the cushion's mouth.

I've talked about this before, so I won't clutter up your thread with it. If you get curious, I have pics over at my albums. Disregard the ugly guy in the picture. That's me.

Bilavideo,

Thanks for the advice! In case you didn't notice, I'd already bought these pads for my 325
wink.gif
and definitely noticed the awesome soundstage but the lower midrange was lost, as well as the the bass was less. The highs were really too shrill.
I just did your mod, and it ROCKS! It totally brought the warmth back, and the highs are toned down. Bass is up from before. I'm going to try the tape mod for these modded pads and see how they work.

Thanks a bunch! Your album helped greatly.

Dec 6, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varun916 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bilavideo,

Thanks for the advice! In case you didn't notice, I'd already bought these pads for my 325
wink.gif
and definitely noticed the awesome soundstage but the lower midrange was lost, as well as the the bass was less. The highs were really too shrill.
I just did your mod, and it ROCKS! It totally brought the warmth back, and the highs are toned down. Bass is up from before. I'm going to try the tape mod for these modded pads and see how they work.

Thanks a bunch! Your album helped greatly.

Oh my gosh! Somebody actually tried it! Thank you! I know it took guts to take a pair of scissors to those $45 pads but I'm so glad you got the results! You made my day!

Dec 6, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 14
Haha glad to hear! I used an x-acto knife. With that you can make it look really nice and clean. Unfortunately my right side was thicker than my left so I went for more, and now it looks awful. The sound quality is unchanged though.
I think the tape around these makes the bass a little nicer. Right now I'm just driving the headphones with an onkyo receiver so I'll report back once my WA6 gets here.

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #11 of 14
Dec 6, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 14
I'd say it has slightly more kick. I don't think it's muddy-ing the sound at all, but then I'm not an audiophile with super sensitive hearing so that's about all the detail I can give you
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #13 of 14
I'll give it a shot. So now I'm trying your mod! :) This might work better than the taping I did on the doughnuts because the aperture is wider. We'll see.

Dec 7, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Nice! If you decide to use the knife, start with an uncut piece. I tried to take a little bit off of one side, and it completely messed up the shape. It's good for shearing off large chunks of foam but doesn't do so well on the finer stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back