Grado Grattle within 3 weeks of use?
Mar 17, 2009 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Kayito-san

100+ Head-Fier
My Grado 225s are only a couple of weeks old, and yet somehow- have already developed the Grattle. I can't say for sure, but there's an audible difference between the sound of both ears, when plugged into my computer, as well as some serious distortion during certain frequencies. Lower guitar notes come off as a kind of distorted warble rather than a heavy, over-driven guitar tone (as per the music I enjoy).

I wear them very frequently- They're not really "stay-at-home headphones" for me, and although they have been subjected to some cold weather, there haven't been any audible problems until only very recently. I bought these headphones, new, from an audiophile store (the only one in my city, more or less), who did not offer any store coverage whatsoever. The packaging seemed humbly Grado, and everything seemed legitimate.

Furthermore, I do have long hair, and when the headphones aren't on my ears, they're around my neck; I'm very protective of my headphones, and rarely put them down when not at home.

In short:
-Factory-fresh Grados (Not second-hand)
-Third-party tampering extremely unlikely
-Used frequently (Although I don't even think I'm done burning them in)
-Have survived cold weather
-Long hair (caught in driver?)
-DEGRADED SOUND QUALITY. FFFFFFUUUUUU--

Help/suggestions/comments?

EDIT: Might be the source. The 'Grattle' is extremely apparent when demoing music over the iTunes store, but when listening to music over my iPod, it's not so noticeable. I'll have to try my earphones with a more valid source... Disregard this post-script for now, though.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #2 of 5
whatever iTunes is doing with their online previews is now causing a lot of distortion. I've noticed this several times.

Mar 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 5
Oh, thank God. I was a little scared; "What the... This isn't Death from Above... Why is the bass distorted?"

It's reassuring that it's not my headphones; But disappointing in that I won't be able to enjoy demoing music on iTunes before buying it-- That damn crunch in the low end is beginning to make discovering new music more of a challenge.

Mar 17, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 5
I had the grattle on and off on my SR 80s.

It eventually went away, though I did gently blow to clear up the grattle now and then. Seemed to work. Now it doesn't happen at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back