grado grado
Dec 15, 2005 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

orfeo

Head-Fier
Hi All
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure you've heard this all before so i'll keep it as short as i can.

My etymotic er6's (which i love except for the lack of bass) are on their death bed so i'm switching back to headphones. I use my ipod to listen to all my music atm cause i'm travelling and away from my NAD. I'm 25 and like a bit of everything (breaks, dnb, trance, house, hip hop, jazz, flamenco, rock...etc). But i do have a tendency towards breaks and dnb (thats beat orientated music, ie: boom boom).

So i'm interested in the grado sr60's. I went to a store today and looked at them and the store demo sr60's sounded better than the 80's so i'm leaning towards them (maybe someone can let me know the difference between them all). However, i have a few concerns. One is that i've heard that the grado's are great for rock but not so good for dance music? and that the senn px200's might be better suited? Also, i'm a bit worried about the open ear style, i love the sound insulation of the er6's and i don't really want to have to turn the music up to hear it over the outside noise (maybe there is a grado with a closed ear design? that works well with an ipod). Also i'm worried that they'll be loud to people in close proximity, has anyone had problems with this?

any advice is greatly appreciated
580smile.gif

orfeo

ps: any advice on online stores to order them from?

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #2 of 11
you will definitely have to crank them when around any considerable noise, ie. hallway full of people or mall
eek.gif
. They also leak like crazy so anyone around you will hear almost exactly what you do unless you listen at barely audible levels. They are more suited to home listening. That said they do offer great sound and are good for quiet situations.

Dec 15, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 11
I've auditioned Grado's myself as well and like to put the headphones to the ultimate stress test using a variety of music. I'd have to say that they sounded pretty darn good with electronica.

For open headphones like the sr60's, you don't have to turn them up that loud. They do cover most, if not all of your ear so you don't have to turn it up that much to block out noise externally.

As for buying them online, I know amazon.com has them and so does headphone.com both selling for $69 USD

Dec 15, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 11
i dont know..now that i own the SR60s i think the whole talk about the leaking is a little over done. maybe i just expected to leak ALOT more after reading so much about them.

but its definitely not that bad. in the classroom i listen to them at 1/3 the volume of my cd player, and i dont think its audible at all...

also i tried senn PX100s which are also open...no problem there either. just dont listen at max volumes...but when people say you have to listen at the very minimal volumes, thats not exactly true, from my experience.

Dec 15, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 11
cool, thanks guys good advice, i'm still undecided (of course), i want to get the grado's cause they're better headphones but i worry about the leakage so i'm considering the px100/200 or the akg k27. I'm still yet to test the grado's with my ipod so that might be the deciding factor.

orfeo

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 11
SR 60's work well with Ipod's, I own both. You can buy the Grado's from Todd the Vinyl Junkie. He is a forum sponser. For home use the Grado's are fine. If you are going to be near to others (airplanes, internet cafe's, sex) I would suggest closed HP's.

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

you will definitely have to crank them when around any considerable noise, ie. hallway full of people or mall. They also leak like crazy so anyone around you will hear almost exactly what you do unless you listen at barely audible levels.

This is something I actually like.I take great delight in looking a person directly in the eye and responding to something that person said because they wrongly assumed my music was so loud (due to the leakage) that I could not hear their speech.I enjoy having a conversation while listening to my own "personal movie" soundtrack.Something really cool about moving to my own beat yet still being aware of my surroundings.

Even better is when such "comments" are a wise crack they thought would go by without notice ! Amazing how brave or "cool" some try to be when they think they are being stealthy (talking behind someones back) and what punks they really are when directly confronted and asked to explain the remark ;

Grado Man : "You got something to say to me bub ?"

Wanna Be : "Huh ?"

The focused dude : "I said do you have something to say to me"

The looking for a place to hide guy : "No.Why would you think that I did ?"

The I GOTCHA NOW AND YOU KNOW IT guy : "Because a minute ago you were trying to be cool at my expense so now I am giving you the chance to be really cool and say it direct.To expand on your wise crack so we can all be enlightened by your superior wit"

Sweatin profusely dudemongo : "I have no idea what you are talking about"

Revenge of the Grado Monster : "Yes you do.Would you like me to repeat it verbatum ? I can you know."

Punk boy : "Uh....um.....er.......um........I um...(looks for the escape hatch and none is present,looks left,looks right,squirms but there is no way out
very_evil_smiley.gif
)"

Gotta love it
tongue.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
This is something I actually like.I take great delight in looking a person directly in the eye and responding to something that person said because they wrongly assumed my music was so loud (due to the leakage) that I could not hear their speech.I enjoy having a conversation while listening to my own "personal movie" soundtrack.something really cool about moving to my own beat yet still being aware of my surroundings.

Even better is when such "comments" are a wise crack they thought would go by without notice ! Amazing how brave or "cool" some try to be when they think they are being stealthy (talking behind someones back) and what punks they really are when directly confronted and asked to explain the remark ;

Grado Man : "You got something to say to me bub ?"

Wanna Be : "Huh ?"

The focused dude : "I said do you have something to say to me"

The looking for a place to hide guy : "No.Why would you think that I did ?"

The I GOTCHA NOW AND YOU KNOW IT guy : "Because a minute ago you were trying to be cool at my expense so now I am giving you the chance to be really cool and say it direct.To expand on your wise crack so we can all be enlightened by your superior wit"

Sweatin profusely dudemongo : "I have no idea what you are talking about"

Revenge of the Grado Monster : "Yes you do.Would you like me to repeat it verbatum ? I can you know."

Punk boy : "Uh....um.....er.......um........I um...(looks for the escape hatch and none is present,looks left,looks right,squirms but there is no way out
very_evil_smiley.gif
)"

Gotta love it
tongue.gif

LOL
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 11
As Rick said, Grados are just as open for sounds coming in as they are going out. So ambient noise will be an issue for you, and Grado noise will be an issue for those around you. So that's something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back