Grado GR8 is SUPERB !
Sep 15, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by solomon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
20090912_7c88ee03df4be9687f9e7EGx2t9HNk3O.jpg

A close-up of the earphones. It is not black, as some pictures show. It is deep blue. The product is manufactured in Japan, and interestingly it has some "Japanese marks" on it, for instance the cable is thinner than that of Grado headphones, the size is very small, almost as small as Audio-Technica in-ears, and the finish is of good quality.

Hmmm interesting, do you think Audio Technica manufacture these for Grado.
I would of really preferred these to be made in the US i.e in NY in their factory.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #32 of 44
What's so great about the GR8? It's dynamic. Is it a great dynamic driver? How does it stack up to the IE 8? What are you getting for $300 besides the Grado name?

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #33 of 44
I rarely post anything, I just like to educate myself, but I had to write a response to this Bilavideo. You smell b.s.? This is an enthusiast website about headphones, hi-fi and other various audio components. You think someone would lie about hearing a headphone? Wow. Also it is an armature driver, this has never been disputed. Read the website if you need to. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the thread, why don't you just keep it to yourself? Mmkay...

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 44
GR8 uses armature drivers, not dynamic drivers. I have confirmed this with John Grado on the phone. The manual calls it "Dynamic Armature" and maybe this misleads some people to think its dynamic drivers. But no.

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO that leaves only one conclusion: Either your or my CK100 is fake.

My CK100s don't sound anything like his either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by solomon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Westone um3x is the one having strong and accentuated bass, while Westone 3 is flat and neutral, with no accentuation placed on bass ... Audio-Technica CK100 has almost no bass.

!?
frown.gif
?!

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #37 of 44
Sorry to takes it little away from the OP but could you describe it(CK100) soundsignature and overall presentation if compare to Shure line IEMs?. Quote:

Originally Posted by jnewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My CK100s don't sound anything like his either.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #38 of 44
Honestly, it almost seems like OP is mad-libbing with audio descriptors. Without the fun.

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #39 of 44
Ck100 has little bass, maybe the least compared to other named IEMs. Its main strengths are in the highs, which are highly detailed and have a glamor that few IEMs can match.

The midrange of CK100 is sure to elicit dispute. It is very warm,full and sweet, to the extent that I can foresee that some people will think it has the best midrange ever in IEMs, but personally I don't think the CK100's midrange is neutral. It is overly warm, and a color of its own is added to anything it plays.

So Ck100 is a very special IEM, but personal tastes aside, three facts remain clear: one, little bass, two, a mididrange of strong character, three, a sparkling high frequency performance.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:05 AM Post #40 of 44
I bought the GR8's today after trying out about 15 - 20 different models from $80 up to $400 in price. In the end, it came down to GR8 and Westone 3 and the GR8 won by a mile and cost $100 less. Why? The Grado sound my friends. The GR8 has it, the best 'it' can get for an IEM that I've heard. I really think Grado accomplished what it set out to do. Someone mentioned that they thought the GR8 is a specialty IEM. I agree. If you like the Grado sound signature, you should like the GR8. Just don't expect it to sound exactly like the RS1i. That would be the impossible. But the GR8 has all the basic attributes and I for one kept going back to them until I finally made the very patient store owner happy and just bought them already.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNyCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I rarely post anything, I just like to educate myself, but I had to write a response to this Bilavideo. You smell b.s.? This is an enthusiast website about headphones, hi-fi and other various audio components. You think someone would lie about hearing a headphone? Wow. Also it is an armature driver, this has never been disputed. Read the website if you need to. If you have nothing constructive to contribute to the thread, why don't you just keep it to yourself? Mmkay...

Hello, from "this Bilavideo." When did I suggest that someone was lying about hearing a headphone? If I was mistaken about the driver, that's a call for a correction, not an accusation. I think a little skepticism is healthy, but about product claims, not about people posting on a thread. If it's a bit confusing, that's because there are these two boxes into which earphone drivers generally fall: balanced armatures and dynamics. Calling one's driver a "dynamic armature" (or as Grado puts it on his website, a "moving armature") creates more confusion than clarity.

I'm operating from a framework where there are these two approaches: balanced armatures and dynamics. The BA's come in single-, double-, triple- and even poly-driver formats. The dynamics, to the best of my knowledge, only come in single-driver formats. With the exception of some of the single-driver models, the BA's use a similar architecture, much like that of a hearing aid, with the drivers residing in some kind of shell that fits into the hollow of the outer ear, connected to an earpiece that goes into the ear canal via a sound tube running somewhat diagonally from the shell to the earpiece. The dynamics, because of their size, fit more like the earbuds, perpendicular to the ear canal, except they attempt to form a complete seal.

There's no question that Grado is selling an earphone that runs off a single driver and has an architecture more resembling the dynamics than the BA's. I don't see any product literature that says he's advertising a balanced armature, just references to this driver as either a "dynamic armature" or (as he has on his website) a "moving armature." Honestly, I've never heard of a "dynamic armature." Calling it a "moving armature" is just another way to say the same thing since "dynamic" means (more or less) "moving." But what's moving? If it's the "armature" itself, that sounds a lot like other dynamics, where a membrane moves back and forth. Is Grado saying he has invented a third kind of driver - one that is neither a balanced armature or a dynamic, or perhaps one that synthesizes the two in some unheard of way?

I'm willing to admit that this is all still a bit confusing to me. Your rebuke, while accusing me of something, doesn't really clear things up. And yet I'd like to know more about what, exactly, a "dynamic armature" is if it's not a dynamic driver along the lines of other dynamics, including Sennheiser's IE8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back