GRADO GR8 [ Full Review ] + Picture + Updated!!
Jan 15, 2011 at 1:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

throzen0303

100+ Head-Fier

I got these in the mail this afternoon, opened box since few hours ago. [First post]

This is my first review on Head-Fi, please point out anything wrong so I can do better next time!!

First YouTube Video+Unboxing [Subscribe Please!!, Need your support]

Full Reivew !!

Source: iPhone Silver plated OFC LOD / Laptop out to amp

Amp: PA2V2

(Still fantastic without an amp)

**The 120ohms on Grado’s website is right.**

[size=10pt]Been [/size][size=10pt]listening[/size] to them for over a week now, I burn them in for over 100 hours.

First off, I should tell you that, try not to ask me about how it compares to others IEMs in this price range. In the $300 range ($299), this is different from anything I have tried. Grado is famous for their open backs, and they made this IEM sound more open than most closed back headphones (Soundstage wise).

The GR8 comes in a fine package, but all there is in the package is the IEM, total of three size silicon tips, two sets of replacement earwax filter and rings, that’s pretty much it. No 1/4 inch adaptor, no airplane adaptor, no foam tips, no case, no cleaning tool. They should have included more in the packaging, but we shall see if the sound is worth the lack of accessories.

The Grado GR8 fits well in the ear to me, but since they have only included three sizes of silicon tips, some people might not find a proper fit, without a proper fit, these have almost no bass at all like all IEMs are without a proper fit. [size=10pt]The isolation is decent with a NRR of 16db.[/size]

When I first got them, I was listening to some classical-like music – Joe Hisaishi, I put them on with the amp, after 10seconds, I sit back and relax. These IEM are really enjoying, epically when you listen to music like this. The GR8 is amazingly natural and highly detailed, not too bright, not too warm, just right at the sweet spot, smooth as silk. The music flows around you with plenty of air, sound stage is one of the main selling point of this IEM, Grado makes this sounds like a semi-open IEM.

The treble is highly detailed, but not in a single moment that I found it harsh(okay maybe with women vocal, a bit “up front”) . The mids are really smooth and warm. Now the bass, this is I think the GR8 is lacking. I think about 15~20% more bass will be just right. The GR8 maybe lacking bass in terms of quantity, but not at all in terms of quality, the bass is tight and respond quickly for a single driver IEM.

The Grado GR8 is one of the most unique IEM I have ever heard, in a good way. The lack of accessories at the $300 price range is justified by the quality of the sound (still hope Grado will throw in more), I will not compare this to other IEM in this moment, it’s really hard to decide over other once in the price range, but this is just about as good as others, if not better. I would recommend the GR8 if you are looking for a good soundstage, amazingly detailed treble, well balanced, high quality sound.

**Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel. A Video review is coming up soon, Thanks for you support.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HiFiReviewer

Video Review coming up soon!!

Pictures

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I was reading Spyro's review of the GR10, and I based this review on his, he was talking about the efficiency of the GR8, I contacted Grado, and they told me it was actually a typo and its 32ohms not the 120(seems wrong instantly)

WOW!  That would seem odd to have all 1000's of boxes of these things along with all print and internet materials still stating 120 ohms.

Yes, GR8's are very good but GR10 even better.

Jan 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Yea, no doubt, I want to try them out too, I want to know if they are worth $100, I faced the same problem when comparing them to other like you did, they are just... Different LOL

Jan 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
lol found out already XD

Well you found out wrong. Impedance is 120 at 1k and about 1/2 that through the lower ranges which is still twice 32ohms. The spec is accurate but I believe the fellow you spoke to wanted you to understand that the impedance isn't as severe as the spec due to it being closer to 60 in high energy ranges

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #8 of 10

Well you found out wrong. Impedance is 120 at 1k and about 1/2 that through the lower ranges which is still twice 32ohms. The spec is accurate but I believe the fellow you spoke to wanted you to understand that the impedance isn't as severe as the spec due to it being closer to 60 in high energy ranges

I see, guess the guy was wrong, I will make the correction asap, thanks man, I normally use a amp for everything, so I haven't noticed the difference, the iPhone drive them all right tho.

Oct 23, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 10
I also have the gr8 and enjoy them through my headroom cosmic amp connected to my pe2217 pre amp .i have a itch to try the sr325e phones.can any one share there thoughts if it is worth the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back