Grado Gr10e piano distortion
Oct 22, 2016 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

venton

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone, first post here.
I got a pair of gr10e from ebay, second hand with about 5 hours of use on.
Generally very happy.
But, I noticed piano causing distortion / buzzing on very specific piano tracks.
Could someone who owns these headphones listen to Chord Left by Agnes Obel?
Within the first 20 seconds you will or won't hear distortion in the right ear.
Could you let me know if you hear it? Perhaps it is on the recording. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

I bought a pair of GR10 from a local store and they started buzzing on the left side. It was only noticeable very slightly in certain specific cases in the begining. As time progressed (a few months), the buzzing was less intermittent and more pronounced. I finally gor fed up and returned them to the store and promptly got a replacement pair of the newer GR10e.

I've had the headphones for a few days and started noticing the same problem again, left ear again! I've tried with different sources, devices, and even switched ears just to make sure, but they are definitely buzzing in the low frequencies.

You can try the bass shaker (quality) test on this page: http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

I can definitely hear it well when playing that track.

I guess I'll have to return them this week-end! Shame because otherwise they sound fantastic...

Do you have the original receipt? In any case, the warranty is 2 years and they were released in feb 2015 so you can always give them a call and see what they say...

Good luck!

Phil 

Aug 4, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi Guys,

Wow ... a real case of nothing new under the sun here, i’ve been travelling lately, and its only now that i able to have some hours on to my GR10e, have had the GR10e’s for about 3 years now but never really got the situation where i’d be using it in as my main output... Until now, through listening to the acoustic version (FLAC) of Sinead Harmett - Body, the exact same distortion you guys spoke about appeared, initial thoughts went from connectivity to file errors.. Yet in doubts I googled “GR10e piano distortion”, viola... regrettably i am not alone. An avida Grado collector, this is disheartening. Will send a note to Grado.

Update!!

I realized that distortion is quite affacted by positioning, I tried running the cables around my ear with the cable going around the back of my ears (cable now facing upwards of my head and runs down behind my ears) somehow the distortion becomes less, diacovered this as I was standing out of my bed, perhaps the moving armature strategy of these in ears is meant for a quite specific positioning? Uncertain, but I am now listening to the same track seated, definitely reduced the distortion beyond notice.. curios. Will still note Jonathon Grado though..

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 6
A few years late to the party but I’ll throw my two cents in... I’m also having this issue. Only on certain piano tracks. I’ve gone back and forth on tracks that create the distortion to tracks that don’t to compare and my conclusion is that it’s the recordings themselves and not the earphones. It’s so prevalent because of the massively bright signature of these earphones. Definitely the brightest in ears I’ve owned. Just bought them and although I’m enjoying them immensely so far, I find they’re much better suited to 60s, 70s, maybe even some 80s rock and pop music. I find they lose composure with modern material. I may be entirely wrong and it could be down to the dac (dragonfly red) but I don’t have another to test this theory.

Jun 30, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 6
I say it's the dac and other accompanying equipment, I have the GR10e with Mojo 2 (together with AQ Jitterbug and
Curious Hugo Link cable), and I de-emphasize the 3khz
shelf by 1db with the GR10e's as the M2's sound is a little forward there, also I listen at fairly low volume if that matters.
I hear no buzzing or distortion
on this track - nice music btw! The live version is fun to listen to too!

I'm of the opinion that Grado's are voiced for lower than the volume levels
that many listen at. The GR10e's I find are very musical and transparent
and true to the artist's intent. They're a significant sq step up from my
SR225e's, which I love and are my most used Grado. They're not far
from the GS1000i, just don't have as large a soundstage and
less depth and are not as prodigious in bass/midbass detail and texture,
but for the price and form factor provide a remarkable listening experience for me.

I think that for many audiophile/music lovers looking for an IEM the search
will stop here.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #6 of 6
Hi everyone, first post here.
I got a pair of gr10e from ebay, second hand with about 5 hours of use on.
Generally very happy.
But, I noticed piano causing distortion / buzzing on very specific piano tracks.
Could someone who owns these headphones listen to Chord Left by Agnes Obel?
Within the first 20 seconds you will or won't hear distortion in the right ear.
Could you let me know if you hear it? Perhaps it is on the recording. Thanks.
Check if there are some hair stuck inside the foam pads. I used to use SR80 and even one hair in a foam pad could generate buzzing sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back