Grado GR10 Sound Signature but with Better Build quality
Jun 20, 2012 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sonickarma

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
  I yesterday received a new pair of Grado GR10 IEMs and the sound signature is to my likeing.

However the build quailty is not to the standard for such an expensive top tier headphone.
Ear Shell Casing, Cable and Connections seem really poor quality IMO

Does anyone have recommendations for a similar/better sound signature but with better build quality?

Thanks

Jun 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 14
this is really easy. the ortofon eq5 sounds very similar to the grado gr10 and feels like it's built like a tank, with it's bullet shaped metal housing!

Jun 21, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 14
CK90Pro Mk II?   

Jun 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
this is really easy. the ortofon eq5 sounds very similar to the grado gr10 and feels like it's built like a tank, with it's bullet shaped metal housing!

I've been inside a pair since you lent me yours and I can guarantee the GR10 build is better. The cases are very thin (probably how they got them narrower than the E-q7) and actually not a strong as the Grado though I doubt either ever crushes without some major abuse. E-q5s have also had cable problems when it's been rare in the Grados. Since that's the most common IEM issue, I don't think that recommendation will help. I'm a fan of thinner cables but I can understand how another wouldn't care for them. Everything else about them is rather bullet proof (case and strain relief).

If I were that concerned about durability, I'd look for something with replacable cables. Easiest way to protect your investment.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
However the build quailty is not to the standard for such an expensive top tier headphone.
Ear Shell Casing, Cable and Connections seem really poor quality IMO

I find the concern on build quality surprising.  I think the build quality is outstanding and these have held up better than any other earphones I have purchased.  I use these as my workout headphones, so they really get abused.  I've sweated on them, stepped on them, yanked on the cord, etc and they just keep on pumping out the music.

Jun 21, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
I find the concern on build quality surprising.  I think the build quality is outstanding and these have held up better than any other earphones I have purchased.  I use these as my workout headphones, so they really get abused.  I've sweated on them, stepped on them, yanked on the cord, etc and they just keep on pumping out the music.

My take as well and why I said the only better option would be something with a replacable cable. The only ones I've heard is the Shure and some older UEs and I also prefer the Gr10.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 14
Thank for the info, maybe I have just assumed they are poor build as on inital inspection they dont look like they would last if you compare them to the build of other top tier headphones.

However from the feedback of other owners maybe they will last longer than I thought. Time will tell, lets hope I dont list them for $20 as broke in a few weeks.

Sep 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 14
There are not many users out there but I have yet to hear of even one GR10 (or GR8 failure).  I think it is built well.  Design is great.  Nothing really to break.

Keep in mind SE535 is built like a tank and has had it's share of failures.  I had problems with both pairs I owned.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
There are not many users out there but I have yet to hear of even one GR10 (or GR8 failure).  I think it is built well.  Design is great.  Nothing really to break.
Keep in mind SE535 is built like a tank and has had it's share of failures.  I had problems with both pairs I owned.

Steve, what type of failures did you experience? i thought they se535s supposed to be pretty tough and that this edition solved the cables problems associated with earlier iterations.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #14 of 14
daveDerek:  I developed intermittent static where cable attaches to IEM.  After just a few weeks on both pairs.

I mainly use IEM's while exercising.  To me, if a cable can swivel that means there is "space" between the connection.  If there is a space between the connection then sweat, humidilty, etc can get in there and develop corrosion.  I think the swivel connector concept is crazy.  I'm no engineer but wouldn't you want a complete airtight seal with ANY cable to connector connection?  I do not want ANY movement or space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back