Grado GR10 (No love)
Feb 21, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

CareyPrice31

Montreal Canadiens
Where is the love for the Grado GR10?

In my opinion the best IEM out there on the market.

It has it all, SQ, Isolation, portability!

When amped correctly they even satisfies bass-heavy users!

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Where is the love for the Grado GR10?

In my opinion the best IEM out there on the market.

It has it all, SQ, Isolation, portability!

When amped correctly they even satisfies bass-heavy users!

Best is very subjective, but I will agree that they are fantastic. People just dislike the price tag, fixed cables, looks "Cheap", ect ect... Isolation is good and my gosh they sound good. Even straight out of a iPod they sound marvelous. However, I honestly think i'll buy a Westone UM3X and a Etymotic ER4S over the GR10...

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 21
I wouldn't say lows.  The bass is there, more accurate than quantity that is for sure. It's strengths is layer separation and being fairly transparent.  The issue why there's not a lot of hands-ons experience is because 1) They never go on sale from its $399 retail price; 2) The amount of tips and no case is a turn-off for some; 3) Some folks who don't care much for the Grado headphone sound dismiss the IEM all together; 4) You can get very similar sound going with the cheaper Ortofon models; 5) For $399, its in the territory where the rest of the top tier IEM from Westone, Shure, Sennheiser, Monster, Etymotic to name a few can be had brand new and discounted.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #5 of 21
Guys, these can be bought for whatever is agreed upon at a brick and mortor. Don't expect a lot of movement but they're only price fixed for internet sales. Grado prefers local support, at least in the US.

They actually look VG in person and have the best fit and comfort I've come across. We've seen the odd tip size issue but it's very rare. They do need a lot of break in to be all they can be and how good they are is always a personal thing but some of us like them a lot and prefer them to their cousins and some other similarly priced units. Value is always in the eye of the beholder.

Feb 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
I wouldn't say lows.  The bass is there, more accurate than quantity that is for sure. It's strengths is layer separation and being fairly transparent.  The issue why there's not a lot of hands-ons experience is because 1) They never go on sale from its $399 retail price; 2) The amount of tips and no case is a turn-off for some; 3) Some folks who don't care much for the Grado headphone sound dismiss the IEM all together; 4) You can get very similar sound going with the cheaper Ortofon models; 5) For $399, its in the territory where the rest of the top tier IEM from Westone, Shure, Sennheiser, Monster, Etymotic to name a few can be had brand new and discounted.

X2!

They sound excellent and are very transparent.  But for $100 less, I would take the W3 every time.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 21
When were the GR10s released? It seems like they're pushing the iGi's a lot lately so I'm wondering if they'll refocus more on the IEM market, especially since they just released the PS500.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #9 of 21
GR10's were released in (I believe) September of 2010.  I started first review thread on them.  They are certainly among top 2-3 universals for me.  Bass has body but does not have weight/slam like a UM2 or a W3.  I kind of like that in my music.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #10 of 21
Get the Westone 4R. Superb.

Feb 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 21
Having had both, the W4 is certainly more buttery smooth and refined sounding but GR10 has superior treble and is more transparent.  W4 is kind of dark sounding and GR10 is just perfect and very musical.  Bass is slightly more on GR10 and I prefer it's midrange and treble.

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #12 of 21
Just like Katun's thread about the W4 vs the W2, he and a lot of head-fiers (including me) actually prefer the less expensive Westone models over the W4. Sorry for thread jacking ^^

Feb 26, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #13 of 21
My ck-10`s got stolen, my customs are up for repair and I am stuck with gr10`s and I have to say, they probably are my least favorite headphones I have :rolleyes:

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #14 of 21
I just havn't got the love for my GR10s yet. Bought them in December, they still sound way harsh in the treble to my ears. And I miss not being able to wear them over the ear, too much microphonic noise and movement in the ear when out and about.  So far, a big disappointment to me. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #15 of 21
The Grados are all them great products, all headphones and earphones with superb and amazing sound. The real issues for these are the bad and poor presentation, the famous pizza box in a product with 1000 and 1700USD street price is a misery and the worst customer support I saw (seven unanswered questions when I contact directly to them). Great arrogance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back