Grado GH-1 Discussion
Jun 6, 2016 at 7:41 AM Post #858 of 1,091
I can't give you a comparison with the PS500s, but I can say a few words about how the GH1s stack up against the HD800s.  Very favourably, in a nutshell.

I'll firstly say that I use the HD800s with a tube amp (Icon Audio HP8 mkii) and with careful selection of tubes (e.g. Brimar CV1988) I enjoy it greatly.  On previous amps (usually solid state) I've found it too neutral and lacking in musicality.  However, on the Icon I think it's excellent, and I don't experience the treble glare that some people find with it.

I've done some informal comparisons between the GH1s and the HD800s, including some direct A-B testing (this is using the GH1s with the G Cush).  I wouldn't call this an exhaustive comparison, but here are my general conclusions: tbh I couldn't honestly find massive differences between the two.  Both have a generally linear signature in which no particular frequency (in my set up) predominates.  Both are enjoyable, musical phones for the genres I listen to, which are general rock, pop, jazz, blues...... pretty much everything mainstream except rap and classical.  I would say that the GH1s perhaps have a hint more presence in the bass department, and they are lovely and light on my head.  But the HD800s do of course score on soundstage and microdetail retrieval.  

I've taken the decision to sell the GH1s (you'll find them in the classifieds), as for me soundstage is an important factor (and I need to sell at least one pair of my current selection).  However, I do think that Grado did a very good job with the GH1s, and if the current state of my finances improves then the GS2000e is on my radar as a consequence.  

Hope that helps. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #860 of 1,091
My GH1's are up for sale.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #862 of 1,091
Nope, I heard an HD600.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #864 of 1,091
  Interesting…I'd like to hear one myself.
Are you familiar with the differences between the 600-650?

From what I've read - the 650 has a bit more bass, and a bit less treble.

I have a 650 on the way, so I can give you my first hand comparison soon.

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #866 of 1,091
From what I've read - the 650 has a bit more bass, and a bit less treble.

I have a 650 on the way, so I can give you my first hand comparison soon.
Good luck with the HD650. Personally, the Sennhesier sound is not for me. The hd650 seem to make a great reference Hp but for me after a hour, I was pretty much done. In my opinion, you need a very powerful amp plus a good source to get any life out of the 650. Don't get me wrong, they are very good HPs but not for my taste. One nice thing about Grados in general is they don't need a lot of power to sound great. Note, my experience with the hd800 was very different. With the right power the 800s sound fantastic. These I would highly recommend but they are expensive. Some people may like the very neutral sounding of the hd650. Good luck!

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #869 of 1,091
I have the GH1/G and HD650 and I use them both for different kinds of music. They are very different kinds of headphones and well worth having a pair of each. I also previously owned the 600 and it's also a fantastic headphone. 

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #870 of 1,091

Yep, my 650s have been in their box since I got the GH1G and 800s.

I would recommend trying the 800. If you're a Grado guy like me, I think your going to find the HD650 frankly a little boring.

Well being that I do have the mk2 now, I was going to revisit the HD-800 again and listen to them in balanced/SE mode. I listened to the HD-800 SE on 3 separate occasions through my GS-1 (in home) and thought they were very good, but preferred my Grados. Most say the HD-800 is on another level in balanced mode, so I'd like to hear them again with the mk2…and the HD-800S as well. I'd really like to hear whatever HP's I have the opportunity, and also compare to my Grado's from my own personal experience (in home). Again, just want to try some different HP's. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back