Grado GH-1 Discussion
Dec 4, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #406 of 1,091
I agree 100% with everything you've said, is what I wish I could say to you.:wink:

Seriously though, I generally agree with what you've said, it's just that in my opinion, the GH-1/G's sound qualitity is closer to that of the PS1000. I agree that the PS1000 sounds a little smoother, more polished, however, with recordings that lack a bit of sparkle, I prefer the GH-1/G.

I'd say that I prefer the PS1000 with about 80% of my music, but when it comes to price vs performance, the GH-1/G ''holds the title in a 3rd round knockout''.:wink:

You definately pay for the improvement. If you don't have a PS-1000, then be content that it is a fair comparison. There is a pretty sizable difference though. The value of that difference in monetary terms is relative however. It is relative to the time you spend using them, and relative to your ears in terms of your ability to hear higher frequencies.

If you measure it in dollars per hour, it can be a great buy if you listen to them a lot. It could also be a total waste too! Depends on how much you use them.

I whole heartedly agree that the GH-1 with g cush pads are a great improvement, but sadly, they will not become as good as a PS1k. They go from a bit overpriced to a great value though.

Dec 4, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #407 of 1,091
I agree 100% with everything you've said, is what I wish I could say to you.:wink:

Seriously though, I generally agree with what you've said, it's just that in my opinion, the GH-1/G's sound qualitity is closer to that of the PS1000. I agree that the PS1000 sounds a little smoother, more polished, however, with recordings that lack a bit of sparkle, I prefer the GH-1/G.

I'd say that I prefer the PS1000 with about 80% of my music, but when it comes to price vs performance, the GH-1/G ''holds the title in a 3rd round knockout''.:wink:

You definately pay for the improvement. If you don't have a PS-1000, then be content that it is a fair comparison. There is a pretty sizable difference though. The value of that difference in monetary terms is relative however. It is relative to the time you spend using them, and relative to your ears in terms of your ability to hear higher frequencies.

If you measure it in dollars per hour, it can be a great buy if you listen to them a lot. It could also be a total waste too! Depends on how much you use them.

I whole heartedly agree that the GH-1 with g cush pads are a great improvement, but sadly, they will not become as good as a PS1k. They go from a bit overpriced to a great value though.
the thing with Grados is that they maintain their value very well. As long as you buy used at a good price, your investment is safe, as long as you take care of them and they don't malfunction, in which case you'll have to dish out some cash for repairs.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:06 PM Post #408 of 1,091
I'm with you on this one brother. All you have to do is listen to both to a good recorded album like Chesky's Ultimate demonstration disc and the PS1000 will pull ahead of the competition!

As far as the ps1ke. I still prefer the og ps1k. I find the bass on the ps1ke and gs1ke really lacking impact

I agree too, although I have found that the GH-1/G's brighter sound signature, suits dull sounding recordings better than the PS1000.

I'd say that I prefer the PS1000's sound with about 90% of my recordings, so they're not going anywhere soon.

By the way Worms, did you install a pair of G-cush on your GH-1, to compare them to the PS1000?

Dec 5, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #409 of 1,091

I'm with you on this one brother. All you have to do is listen to both to a good recorded album like Chesky's Ultimate demonstration disc and the PS1000 will pull ahead of the competition!

As far as the ps1ke. I still prefer the og ps1k. I find the bass on the ps1ke and gs1ke really lacking impact

I agree too, although I have found that the GH-1/G's brighter sound signature, suits dull sounding recordings better than the PS1000.

I'd say that I prefer the PS1000's sound with about 90% of my recordings, so they're not going anywhere soon.

By the way Worms, did you install a pair of G-cush on your GH-1, to compare them to the PS1000?

yes Sir, sure did. I have spare G-cush, l-cush and TTVJ flats as well as third party pads for some time now, so I don't have to be switching out/borrowing pads from other Grados while comparing them.

I posted the above pic on the Grado fanclub thread a few weeks ago. Gh-1/G, Gs1ke, Ps1ke, and ps1k shootout. 
wink.gif

Also, in my initial impressions of the Gh-1 I posted about the G-cush being a good match with them.
biggrin.gif
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/26790#post_11789047 (last paragraph) I think I was the first to mention this...
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #410 of 1,091
  yes Sir, sure did. I have spare G-cush, l-cush and TTVJ flats as well as third party pads for some time now, so I don't have to be switching out/borrowing pads from other Grados while comparing them.

I posted the above pic on the Grado fanclub thread a few weeks ago. Gh-1/G, Gs1ke, Ps1ke, and ps1k shootout. 
wink.gif

Also, in my initial impressions of the Gh-1 I posted about the G-cush being a good match with them.
biggrin.gif
 http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/26790#post_11789047 (last paragraph) I think I was the first to mention this...
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

That's an amazing display. I wish I was there to compare them all.

The GH-1 looks like a little brother dressed up (with G-pad) and sneaking in to the big brothers party. 
gs1000.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #411 of 1,091
the thing with Grados is that they maintain their value very well. As long as you buy used at a good price, your investment is safe, as long as you take care of them and they don't malfunction, in which case you'll have to dish out some cash for repairs.

''Buy used at a good price'', you're preaching to the choir my friend. I have bought a pair of mint HP1000 for $350, and at $395 he Bushmills

Knock wood, but I have owned 8 different models, and the only problem that I've had over my 9 years of Grado ownership, was with my SR80i, and it was nothing that a drop of hot glue couldn't fix.

wink.gif

biggrin.gif
ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

Sorry, I don't remember you mentionning this, I have a very bad memory...I blame the meds
wink.gif

I like to have a spare set of each earpads on hand, but now that I've decided to go with the G'cush on my Bushmills, I went to my dealer's earlier this week to pick up a new set.

While I was there I figured I'd pick up a new cartridge for my last vintage aquisition, my Marantz 6200, (a present for my JVC RC-M70 ''Boombox''). The price for the G-cush was $59.95 retail, wich is what they were selling for, a few months ago, when I hasd bought, the last pair. However. to my surprise, the Gtrado Black cartridge that was selling for $69.95, was now retailing for $99.95.
eek.gif

I was wondering if any other fellow Canadian, had noticed a substancial price increase on Grado products lately.
confused.gif

I mean, this is almost 30% jump in price. I was so shocked, that I didn't even think of checking the prices for the headphones. Can you imagine the same increase on the PS1000. You also have to add the taxes applicable to that price increase.
eek.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #412 of 1,091

''Buy used at a good price'', you're preaching to the choir my friend. I have bought a pair of mint HP1000 for $350, and at $395 he Bushmills

Knock wood, but I have owned 8 different models, and the only problem that I've had over my 9 years of Grado ownership, was with my SR80i, and it was nothing that a drop of hot glue couldn't fix.

I posted the above pic on the Grado fanclub thread a few weeks ago. Gh-1/G, Gs1ke, Ps1ke, and ps1k shootout. :wink:

Also, in my initial impressions of the Gh-1 I posted about the G-cush being a good match with them.:D  http://www.head-fi.org/t/530965/grado-fan-club/26790#post_11789047 (last paragraph) I think I was the first to mention this...:ph34r:     :p

Sorry, I don't remember you mentionning this, I have a very bad memory...I blame the meds :wink: .

I like to have a spare set of each earpads on hand, but now that I've decided to go with the G'cush on my Bushmills, I went to my dealer's earlier this week to pick up a new set.

While I was there I figured I'd pick up a new cartridge for my last vintage aquisition, my Marantz 6200, (a present for my JVC RC-M70 ''Boombox''). The price for the G-cush was $59.95 retail, wich is what they were selling for, a few months ago, when I hasd bought, the last pair. However. to my surprise, the Gtrado Black cartridge that was selling for $69.95, was now retailing for $99.95. :eek:

I was wondering if any other fellow Canadian, had noticed a substancial price increase on Grado products lately. :confused:

I mean, this is almost 30% jump in price. I was so shocked, that I didn't even think of checking the prices for the headphones. Can you imagine the same increase on the PS1000. You also have to add the taxes applicable to that price increase. :eek:  
oh man, I hope those price increases don't translate to higher headphone prices also for you guys up there, if so someone might start smuggling Grados across to Canada. Sell them cheaper than Canadian retail prices go for and still make a good profit! :D

Where's k&j? I need a picture of Scarface with a pile of Grados in front of him (instead of Cocaine)...

Dec 22, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #413 of 1,091
Hello everyone,first time of being here

I think I can live with this...

Compare this with PS1000(old version,not PS1000i),I think GH-1 with G-cushion is a little brighter,but these two arent bright with my ear,
And they are very capable with those genre that I listened alot to.(Heavy metal/rock/jazz/Chamer music,and vocal)

Actually,I dont think the ability of GH-1 with G-cushion is on par with PS1000(but not very far behind,close enough,I think Grado lab has done a great job here)
But GH-1 is much lighter than PS1000,that's enough for me.

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #414 of 1,091
  Hello everyone,first time of being here

I think I can live with this...

Compare this with PS1000(old version,not PS1000i),I think GH-1 with G-cushion is a little brighter,but these two arent bright with my ear,
And they are very capable with those genre that I listened alot to.(Heavy metal/rock/jazz/Chamer music,and vocal)

Actually,I dont think the ability of GH-1 with G-cushion is on par with PS1000(but not very far behind,close enough,I think Grado lab has done a great job here)
But GH-1 is much lighter than PS1000,that's enough for me.

Congratulations.
The GH-1 wG are excellent. So you know, there was never an (i) series PS-1000, only the PS-1000 and the PS-1000e.
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #415 of 1,091
  Congratulations.
The GH-1 wG are excellent. So you know, there was never an (i) series PS-1000, only the PS-1000 and the PS-1000e.
beerchug.gif

Oh,I almost forgot that,what I called PS-1000i is the Chrome-color version(really shiny right?But I never lay my hands on any of them)
Thanks for modification.

I really like my PS-1000

(Ahhh....totally blurred........................)
But it's much more convenient to use GH-1wG cushion,good fit,great sound.

Dec 22, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #416 of 1,091
  Oh,I almost forgot that,what I called PS-1000i is the Chrome-color version(really shiny right?But I never lay my hands on any of them)
Thanks for modification.

I really like my PS-1000

(Ahhh....totally blurred........................)
But it's much more convenient to use GH-1wG cushion,good fit,great sound.

Yes, the PS1K (chrome) was advertised as an (i) series by some dealers, but Grado had confirmed they are not (i) series no matter the finish. With the exception of the PS1Ke of course.

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #417 of 1,091
I apologize guys.. I didnt realize all GH1 discussions were encouraged to be in this thread.. I posted something separately talking about me trying to get info on the number of GH1's they actually tried to make. Their support team remained mum on the subject.. The content of my message is below..

"
So I just want to say I pulled the trigger on the Grado GH1. I got mine from Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto. They said they had two in stock (I bought one) and they're not sure they'll be getting more in. Surprisingly they had another 3, and people bought them without auditioning them -- which I would never do.

Just for background, I was running this with my Senn HD650 and 580 before on my Schitt Asgard 2 / Bifrost multibit stack.

Anyways, I sent a kind note to Grado because I'm so blown away by how good these headphones are. I'm sure people will disagree with me (which is fine). I got a response back..

"
Hi XXX

thank you for the very kind words

yes, the GH1 are special, the wood does make a difference

we ( service reps) do not have the number of units made

we do know that it was very limited

Thanks!

THANK YOU
The Service Team  | Grado Labs
Facebook | Twitter | 
                      Grado's Get You Closer to the Music
 "
"

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #418 of 1,091
  I apologize guys.. I didnt realize all GH1 discussions were encouraged to be in this thread.. I posted something separately talking about me trying to get info on the number of GH1's they actually tried to make. Their support team remained mum on the subject.. The content of my message is below..

"
So I just want to say I pulled the trigger on the Grado GH1. I got mine from Bay Bloor Radio in Toronto. They said they had two in stock (I bought one) and they're not sure they'll be getting more in. Surprisingly they had another 3, and people bought them without auditioning them -- which I would never do.

Just for background, I was running this with my Senn HD650 and 580 before on my Schitt Asgard 2 / Bifrost multibit stack.

Anyways, I sent a kind note to Grado because I'm so blown away by how good these headphones are. I'm sure people will disagree with me (which is fine). I got a response back..

"
Hi XXX

thank you for the very kind words

yes, the GH1 are special, the wood does make a difference

we ( service reps) do not have the number of units made

we do know that it was very limited

Thanks!

THANK YOU
The Service Team  | Grado Labs
Facebook | Twitter | 
                      Grado's Get You Closer to the Music
 "
"

I did the same thing by sending Grado an e-mail when I received the GH1.
I totally agree with you, and there are many others who do as well about the GH1. You must try the GH1 with Grado (G) cushions (which most are using with them) they are fantastic together!

Dec 24, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #419 of 1,091
  I did the same thing by sending Grado an e-mail when I received the GH1.
I totally agree with you, and there are many others who do as well about the GH1. You must try the GH1 with Grado (G) cushions (which most are using with them) they are fantastic together!

So I asked the guys at Bay and Bloor radio (Toronto) about the pads when I bought the GH1.. He rolled his eyes and said that was silly he recommended against it .. Remember he would make money by selling me the pads.. Surprising.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back