Grado gcush pads
Apr 10, 2012 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Headphonefred

Head-Fier
Hi, thinking of getting grado g Cush because I like how they sit over the ear. My problem with them is the price. So does anyone know the cheapest place to get them? Is there some other over ear pads substitute? Thanks

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
Hi, thinking of getting grado g Cush because I like how they sit over the ear. My problem with them is the price. So does anyone know the cheapest place to get them? Is there some other over ear pads substitute? Thanks

These are for your SR80is right?  Just a word of warning - you know what the G Cush (jumbos) will do to the sound right?  The highs will get really bright (best way to describe it is 'tizzy'), they'll suck some of the mid-range out, and your bass will take a giant leap backward.  They do give a nice soundstage - but IMO the only Grados the jumbos work well with are the cans they were meant for (1000 series).

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 13
Brooko is right. although, I'd say the HF2 (from experience) can handle the G cush pads and not sound awful. But that's because they're titled more toward a rounded, heavy bass and don't have the same highs as other Grados.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Ok thanks for that, might look for other pads. Just one quick question, Are there any other pads by grado or other companies that sit over the ear? Thanks

The only one I know of is the C-pad, which was a mod of a Beyer pad by Headphile (http://www.headphile.com/page5.html) - scroll down the page until you come to it.  They are really expensive though :frowning2:

What I'd try if I was you:
[a] Reverse quarter modded Senn 414 pads - they are really cheap.  Wash them when you get them - with a good fabric softener.  They are on-ear, but softer than the default pads.
The L-Cush (bowls) - again they are on ear, but I find these give me the best sound.  These do soften over time.

An absolute must with Grado/Alessandro - if you bend the headband slightly - you can loosen the clamp.  This helps a lot.

Only other option is to play around with other headphone earpads - and see if you can come up with anything that can be modded to fit a grado without destroying the sound we all love.  If you can come up with a winner, don't forget to let us know
wink.gif

EDIT - forgot one!  A few guys have tried the 'sock mod'.  Search for it on this site- and you should get a basic how-to.

Apr 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #7 of 13
Apr 10, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 13
Apr 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #9 of 13
The bowl pads CAN fit over my ears, however I wear them on my ears and slightly more forward for comfort. If you were okay with ungodly ouch, then I bet you could fit your ears in the bowls too.

Apr 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 13
Apr 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back