Grado for YouTube
Jul 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MarkBra

New Head-Fier
Hello all !

I'm planning to upgrade my music gear. Did a lot of research about different Grado headphones, amp's, DAC's , FLAC vs Mp3 (between which I hear no difference) and so on. . . 

But before that all I need to ask this question:

I use YouTube alot, because music is easily available there as well as different live performance recordings. Now I know that many people don't like YouTube audio quality, but how bad it really is?

Is it worth buying headphones like Grado 225/325 if I am going to listen to YouTube with them?
Or should I go for the cheaper 60/80?

Same question goes for amp+dac like the FiiO E10 or Andes - will they add an improvement? 

Thanks, Mark.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 8
There is no sense spending much money on cans if you are listening to crappy sources.  The 60 or 80 (or MS-1) present you the best value in this context.

Grados don't need an amp and one won't help when listening to the Tube.  A DAC may be something to consider if you are using a computer crappy on board audio.

Jul 25, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 8
I see.

Now as for listening to Flac or 320kbpm Mp3 through a FiiO E10 - does the 225 worth the extra 100$? I'v read alot on the topic but there looks like there is no one opinion. . . (can't make a live test)

Thanks,
Mark.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 8
For youtube as a source....I would just snag a sr60 or sr 80....60is 479.....80 is $99.....

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #7 of 8
Ok , as for YouTube I understood.

I started listening to FLAC files with Foobar. Yeh, took me long but I do hear difference between FLAC and low quality Mp3, and so turned out that for long I'v been listening to low quality music files since I moved from cd's/md's to Sony Ericsson and Nokia 5800.

For long had I suspected that the quality was different, but I contributed it to the music chip rather than to the file itself. Now I finally hear music in the quality I remembered as a child :)

So I got Foobar and downloading FLAC files. I'm planning to buy FiiO E10 DAC (because I clearly hear hiss with some headphones).

For such a set-up, will the 225i be better than the 80i? (I mainly listen to Surf Rock which has lots of cleans and highs)

Cheers,
Mark.

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 8
  Ok , as for YouTube I understood.

I started listening to FLAC files with Foobar. Yeh, took me long but I do hear difference between FLAC and low quality Mp3, and so turned out that for long I'v been listening to low quality music files since I moved from cd's/md's to Sony Ericsson and Nokia 5800.

For long had I suspected that the quality was different, but I contributed it to the music chip rather than to the file itself. Now I finally hear music in the quality I remembered as a child :)

So I got Foobar and downloading FLAC files. I'm planning to buy FiiO E10 DAC (because I clearly hear hiss with some headphones).

For such a set-up, will the 225i be better than the 80i? (I mainly listen to Surf Rock which has lots of cleans and highs)

Cheers,
Mark.

With a decent source and system to play it, the 225i will shine over the 80i.  Whether the price difference is worth it--that's up to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back