Grado for classical music?
May 7, 2006 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

canhead

Head-Fier
I know Grado is known for being great for Rock and Roll but I was curious how many Grado users listen to classical music? I have a pair of SR 60s and im finding I quite enjoy the upfront sound and full impact of the music. Am I crazy? Its definately alot different than my other cans lol

May 7, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 17
grados are good for some classical music: it end to enjoy some baroque, Organ, and single chello stuff with both my grados... but i've never found them adequate for conveying the power and size of a full orchestra.

May 7, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #3 of 17
Even though the RS-1s excel (to me, anyway) at instrument separation, they just don't have the soundstage or the weight to do full orchestras very well, IMO. They're just a bit too thin.
But, hey, to each his own. Some people really like them for orchestral music. But may you did mean chamber music or something like that. They'd be much better at that than full orchestral music for sure.

May 8, 2006 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 17
Cool thanks for the replies. I have been listening to NPR lately (small chamber music and baroque) and I plugged in my grados and I thought it sounded pretty good. Ive been looking at getting the SR 325i, I would think it would be a big improvement over the 60s.

May 8, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
Even though the RS-1s excel (to me, anyway) at instrument separation, they just don't have the soundstage or the weight to do full orchestras very well, IMO. They're just a bit too thin.
But, hey, to each his own. Some people really like them for orchestral music. But may you did mean chamber music or something like that. They'd be much better at that than full orchestral music for sure.

Same sentiment here.

I bought the RS-1s and sold them immediately. They beat the 650 701 team in just about every category. They are gorgeous, but the soundstage is limited to about the size of a skoal can. I couldn't handle that. The lack of soundstage translated into me being less involved in the music.

May 8, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 17
A good headphone is a good headphone; IMO classical music still sounds great, it's just mostly about the difference in headstage/depth.

I listen to my headphones with whatever music I want to listen at that time. All sounds good man, don't worry too much about it.

May 8, 2006 at 6:52 AM Post #7 of 17
I personally find it fairly impossible to enjoy any classical music on Grado SR225.
The tonal quality, the soundstage, the ambience are all screwed.

May 8, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 17
Classical Music sounded great on the Modded MS-Pro and Grado "RS-1n" that ive used, at least it was exciting, I found the Modded MS-Pro to have the same size headstage as the Senn HD650, although the Senn just had deeper soundstage.

May 8, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 17
Chamber music as well as choral works sound great(better than I would have expected!) on my MS-1s!

I have a set of Beethovens' last string quartets of the late 20s and it's just like sitting there with the group1
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, unlike Luddie, we can hear it.........
frown.gif

May 8, 2006 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5
Chamber music as well as choral works sound great(better than I would have expected!) on my MS-1s!

I have a set of Beethovens' last string quartets of the late 20s and it's just like sitting there with the group1
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, unlike Luddie, we can hear it.........
frown.gif

2nd that! Female voice/Male Voice...solo ....awsome.

I some time prefer Grado to Senn for big band stuff. if you count those as classic...LOL

May 8, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #12 of 17
I had both the RS1 and the HD650 and vastly preferred the RS1 for classical music. Both have plusses and minuses... you have the HD650 soundstage vs. the RS1's sexy upper end and abilities with strings / woodwinds. For my ears, the RS1 won out and I was willing to give up a little soundstage.

May 8, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 17
I often use the 325i with Classical and not worry about soundstage. Strings absolutely sing through and brass rasp but I love the sound that they produce.

I find that they're ideal for low volume listening since they retain their clarity. They can be absolutely 'hair raising' on orchestral music.

Ian

May 8, 2006 at 2:20 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by canhead
Cool thanks for the replies. I have been listening to NPR lately (small chamber music and baroque) and I plugged in my grados and I thought it sounded pretty good. Ive been looking at getting the SR 325i, I would think it would be a big improvement over the 60s.

Personally I find the SR325i’s very enjoyable with classical, sound stage holds it’s own against my K501’s and HD580/600’s, they just offer a different perspective which probably comes down to your preferences.
The AKG’s miss the bottom octave but are amazing with some recordings and the Senns although enjoyable are too lush and can sometimes put me to sleep.
Overall I think John Grado has done a superb job on the SR325i’s, with the right electronics they are definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the SR60 and SR225’s, the top to bottom is excellent tonally and as I stated elsewhere it’s a sleeper.

May 8, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Overall I think John Grado has done a superb job on the SR325i’s, with the right electronics they are definitely a worthwhile upgrade over the SR60 and SR225’s, the top to bottom is excellent tonally and as I stated elsewhere it’s a sleeper.

Exactly my feelings. Unlike quite a few people here, I find the 325i an improvement on the 225. (I have both) More weight for timps. Mind you, it took a while for them to settle and really mellow. (or break my ears in!!)

They rivet me to orchestral recordings and often point out some 'duff' playing from individuals in the orchestras I listen to (slightly off tuning etc) that aren't so obvious on some other headphones. I have no idea why this is but they are very analytical with the ability to growl as well as scream at you.

I got up at 5am this morning and listened to an old recording of the Rite of Spring and it was absolutely gut wrenching on these headphones.

Ian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back