Grado flatpads... worth it?
Jan 12, 2005 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

mrkangpae

100+ Head-Fier
I'm itching to mod my SR-80s... but the flatpads are a super-steep price for a piece of molded foam... $30!? Gawd. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they really worth it?

Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 10
Well, I'd say it's borderline useful for an SR80, Mister Gangster - the cost of the pads versus the cost of the can, plus the fact the level of improvement is slim at that level. I wouldn't think of getting a pair personally until MS-1 level. A better way to go at that price point would be the VWAP pads (replacement Senn pads with a quarter hole cut out, use the search function on VWAP PADS) or even rat shack pads with the hole cut out.

Jan 12, 2005 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 10
I have the SR-80's, they're worth ever penny.

Pro: Increased, awesome bass.

Cons: Attenuated highs, reduced soundstage.

Both the Pros and Cons are drastic in terms of the sound differences over the bowls.

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I wouldn't think of getting a pair personally until MS-1 level.

On the other side, I would recommend flat pads for SR-80's, IMO the improvement over bowls is there and they fit my ears (I don't have small & flat ears) better then bowls.

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 10
This a love or hate thing. Some think flats are essential for a grado to sound good, others think bowls rule. I am of the latter. =)

Also, have you thought of just getting the HD414 pads for like $4. They may be yellow, but what the hey.

Jan 12, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 10
I hope to do a nice little comparison sometime soon. I decided to splurge on the flats. Once they arrive, I'll be comparing them to my bowls but also to the Senns to see how the cheap Senns stand up to the flats.

I found myself using Senns with my 325s most often when I first got them but now I find myself reaching for the bowls more often. However, I do like the Senns for comfort and lack of fatique.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 10
Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies... I guess it would've been good of me to mention that I wanted to warm down the highs a little bit. Bowls are generally considered the brightest of the bunch, no?

Thanks!
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 10
go with the flats...you won't be dissapointed. I have them for my SR-225, and they sure do make the bass impact alot better. I didnt quite notice a difference at first, but after a few days, I was amazed at the difference.

Jan 12, 2005 at 11:36 PM Post #10 of 10
dont get me wrong, if i was rolling in the dough i'd get flats in a blink. but considering that cost may be an issue, and that flats cost more than a third of the cost of the cans, he might be better off going the VWAP route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back